unable to get AA working in BF2 with new LCD

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by 3v01v3, Sep 10, 2006.

1. 3v01v3

3v01v3 Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon 9600 XT 256mb
    I installed, and reinstalled, the latest omega drivers for my 9600 pro, when I hooked up my new LG 19" widescreen. I tried nearly every setting in radlinker for AA, up to 2xt3, as well as setting 2x AA in the BF2 video options, but BF2 seems to run without any AA. Ive never had this problem before.

Speaking of AA, lol, I played Americas Army without any problems concerning the anti-aliasing, since I got my new LCD.

What can i do to try and get AA working in BF2 again?

2. StormVR6

StormVR6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti / GTX 650Ti PPU
    Is it not possible that the new monitor is making BF2 appear to have no AA enabled? 2xAA can easily look like none is applied on certain games/resolutions. Also BF2 doesn't really like settings being made outside of the game. Running AF (which is already applied at certain levels in game) will destroy performance and can give a negative LOD bias effect on IQ, causing jaggies in areas of the game which look like aliasing.

3. 3v01v3

3v01v3 Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon 9600 XT 256mb
    You know, it could be the new 1.4 patch, since i installed it after i got the lcd and last time i played it was when i had my crt

4. StormVR6

StormVR6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti / GTX 650Ti PPU
    What? Are you implying that EA could release a patch only to have new problems occur? Surely not! lol

Yep could well be 1.4 mate, I don't seem to have any problems like that, although many are complaining of various "new" problems since updating.

5. Jimi-101

Jimi-101 Member Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor X1900 CF Edition
    Got exactly the same problem. I've forced on AA at 4X and AF at 8X and it looks like AF is working but not AA, it works fine in CSS though. I've even turned AA on within BF2 and AA still doesn't work.

Either the 6.8s or the 1.4 patch is causing this, more likely the 1.4 patch to be honest.

6. Surfa

Surfa Member Guru

GPU:
    ATi Sapphire HD5870
    AA is set in the game, turn it up to 4x and see if you notice it. If not then i dunno. My X1900XTX is playing it fine with the 1.4 patch (max 1600x1200|4xAA|8xAF| It cant be the patch either. A patch wouldnt normally screw around with detail settings.. then again.. its EA

~Surfa

7. Jimi-101

Jimi-101 Member Guru

GPU:
    Are you using a TFT Surfa?

8. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Well, what i've found is that most games are able to accept forced AA but BF2 never has and never will. I have tried forcing it a couple different ways and the only way to make it work was to force 8xAF and leave AA set to "app controlled." Hope this helps since it took me like 2 days of major testing to finally sort it all out. BTW I'm running the 6.5's with no CP.

9. Jimi-101

Jimi-101 Member Guru

GPU:
    All sorted now, thanks BuildeR2. It's strange though as I always used to force on AA but since the ATI 6.8s and the 1.4 BF2 patch it doesn't work.

10. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Great. Glad to hear that. Have fun with that wicked mad powerhouse of a computer you have man!!!

11. xg-ei8ht

xg-ei8ht Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1gb 6870 Sapphire
    i've always used ingame aa for bf2, (6800gt)and then selected transparency aa in menu,.

With my old rad9700pro x2 aa was used ingame with bf2.

always worked fine from in game.

Also low geometery can make it look like no aa,lol

12. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    For a start, what resolution are you using??

If you're not using a native res for your screen, it can look very jaggy, even those its really 'aliasing' per se, its just you might have a number of the screen physical pixels only representing 1 pixel, amking it appear jaggy.

BTW, I never have had a problem forcing AA through either CCC or ATT.

Or with my nvidia cards through the control panel either.

I use 12x9 4xAA, QA AA, 16xHQ AF all set through ATT, and set it to 4xaa and 'high' texture filtering in game.

13. Jimi-101

Jimi-101 Member Guru

GPU:
    The resolution I'm using is 1680 x 1050 which is the native resolution for my monitor (NEC LCD20WGX2 20.1" Widescreen).

14. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    getting confused as to who I'm talking to lol

What software are you using? (radlinker / ATT /CCC)?

I can force it no problems through ATT with 1.4 and Cat 6.8

**edit

In new Cat 6.9
    I wonder if its related? try out the new official 6.9

Last edited: Sep 21, 2006
  15. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Yes it's not the first time i see peoples having prob with Bf2 after change monitor.. first you need know BF2 use a lot of information of your system when install.. this include the resolution and monitor driver.

- install the driver for your monitor.

- let appliccation controlled for AA in CCC, enter the game set to 4x or 6x ( 6 work perfect for me ), get out of the games and relaunch it.

- Use exact same frequencies for your monitor set in CCC anf games ( example 75Hz, 75hz in games too).,

- second: In some case desisntall the games, clean folders of Bf2 and re install it is needed ( don't forget re-boot.)

----

hmmm but i have no server listed for mp with 1.4,,, the server have not been updated?...

Edit: i have forget i was using the beta 1.4... not final..

Last edited: Sep 22, 2006