Will humans, one day, live to be 500 yrs old?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by dope18, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    Well you must know something the rest of the world doesn't. How do you know if natural catastrophes are going to increase? The earth probably won't change much in the next thousand years, let alone 10. Even if the temperture raises 5 c in the next hundred years (which is the top end of the scale of prediction and probably a lot less than that once we start using cleaner forms of energy) it would still not be fast enough to randomly kill people. The sea level would rise and certain areas would be less able to produce crops. BUT other areas would warm, meaning they could be used to grow crops where they couldn't before. Besides that is an, almost rediculous, worst case sinario. Global warming is still difficult to prove over the natural warming cycles of the sun. Even if the world does warm up slightly it's not going to magically create volcanic erruption or earthquakes.

As for the Lung thing, your lungs clean themselves out fairly well. You don't get build up from air particles over centuries.
    If you are referring to free radical oxygen particles polluting the body. What they do is cause errors in the replication of cells which can lead to less efficiency in the body and cancers.
    If we are to live to 500 those are the errors we need to fix. That is the process which deteriorates the body over time. In other words make you get older.
    So what you are saying is "when we cure the causes old age, what about all those things which cause old age, how will survive them?" Which doesn't make sense, does it?

2. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    That's interesting. Because I've been taught that lungs are indeed just like an air filter which get dirty over time. Just like we were shown a real human lung of a person who had smoked for 30 years in school. The lung was full of a black, tar-resembling substance...

3. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    if you read the bible ppl lived 800 years

4. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    Can you read what I wrote? That cleans itself out. 12 to 15 years ALL of your body gets replaced. You are just not as perfect every time. If that person had lived for 20 years after they had stopped smoking the "30 years of smoking" lungs would look a lot better.

Surely your biology class taught you that body wasn't designed at all. If anything, it lasts as long as it can at the moment. Life expectancy has gone up by 20-30 years in the last 50 alone. You could argue that womens life is "designed" to be biologically over when they hit menopause. Yet do you think they should die then? Probably not.
    At the moment we last as long as we can, I don't see that changing no matter how old we get.

5. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    I don't.... But I can predict that they will. What, you think it's coincidence that a certain "Hurricane Katrina" just struck the US a couple of months ago and a new one is already coming (http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=195760) !? Wake up and smell the coffee! This world is going nowhere but down if global warming is not soon found a fix to.

No, but it is going to cause the sea-level to rise and leave millions homeless, it is going to cause longer droughts and heat-waves as the Earth heats up, and thus create more wildfires, it is going to cause major weather changes and result in more hurricanes and floods, it is going to cause more disease as pests will move north due to more hospitable conditions, and last but not least, it is going to **** up many many habitats and cause the extinction of many species. So no, nothing magical will take place, just a major manipulation of the weather system resulting in consequences very severe.

6. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    Well I would love to see the evidence that hurricane Katrina was caused by global warming. Plus there is a reason it's called "hurricane season" Florida and the south east of America always gets hit by them. 200 hundred years ago a volcanic eruption happened in the south pacific and pumped more crap into the sky than human beings ever have, in the space of a week, 30 years later the temperatures stabilised and lowered themselves. There was a big heat wave in the 70's. London smog was so bad around the turn of the century you couldn't see 5 feet in front of you.
    And I really don't think you will get most of those natural problems in Finland.
    AND IF sea levels rise, they rise slowly. People move. It's not going to even happen over 1 decade. Let alone the months in which it would need to happen for a "mass exodus". That is NOT going to happen. You worry too much. Wake up and smell reality. Not some Hollywood disaster movies.

7. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Yeah, it's ironic that you should say that, as your posts imply that this world isn't going down the gutter when all evidence suggests otherwise, yet you tell me to be realistic... :rolleyes: And BTW, Hollywood disaster movies always have a happy ending.... Humans practicing self-destruction doesn't....

8. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    This is going to be the last I post on this thread......

You say you have evidence to suggest that human civilisation is going down the crap hole?
    Well the last 10,000 years would suggest that we have improved our quality of living some what and nothing has happened to set us back. And the last 1000 years things have gotten a LOT better. Until I see it ACTUALLY get worse, above the odd NATURAL disaster, then I am going to be optimistic.
    What's the alternative, running around in the streets screaming "we are all going to die AHHHHHH!!!!".

Things have always worked out and they always will.

If you REALLY think that we are all going to end up scrapping in slums over some rotten carrots after the "flood comes" and the world ends in 30-100-years? Be my guest kill yourself now while we are at, what you think is, "the peak of civilisation" before we all "self destruct".... you don't want to see that.. :rolleyes:

You are a classic pessimist my friend.

9. Turn

Turn Member

GPU:
    MSI 7900GTO @700Mhz/1700Mhz
    Memory is short indeed. Why look back into the last century only, to make note of the general increased longevity of the human kind? Before then, man lived longer as documented...

Cerntainly someone in the know tampered with our genes such that we would not biologically be able to exist beyond 120 years... We've found it out today & certainly we wouldn't be able change that with our mortal power...

May be the next form of human specie -after the next deluge?- would get these new gene definitions to allow for more longevity. But then again does it make sense? Well, since we like to remain secular it would. Right?.

10. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I think it'll happen one day.

But we shouldn't concentrate on becoming older, as some have said, we'll become old, wrinkled and fragile.
    I think it's smarter to study the process of how our bodies become older, how we age and then find a way to make that process slower.

Or we could just all become cyborgs :p

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006

11. zhackore

zhackore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 570
    "I've been working in this company for 376 years, and NOW you tell me you can't pay my pension!!!"

12. FE4R

FE4R Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4850 512MB
    lol, lmao, ahahhahah, id be so pissed,

13. The Kyle

The Kyle Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD3870 / Radeon HD
    I do. I wanna be a space cowboy/bounty hunter like spike spiegel :D. Seriously though. Who here thinks the earth will still be around 500 years from now? I'm sitting on the edge of my seat now waiting for something to end it all. I'm not even going to get into causes of this because there are just so many.

14. Recrofne

Recrofne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    Anyone who doesn't see that the earth is going down hill is blind. Sure, maybe our technology has improved and there have been many great medical advancements but that doesn't change anything. The world's oil supply is running out and using it up is probably a big reason for a lot of the problems we have; gas isn't good. It's too bad that humanity will keep using it because of money and screw over future generations due to their greed.

There are several things that could be improved, but I personally think we should focus on preserving our slowly dying planet first; then see what we can do about living forever.

The oldest people on record have lived for over 120 years (please don't bring up the bible, no offense). I also saw a thing on the discovery channel a long while back about some guy who lived longer than that, wish I could remember what that was.

I'm sure we will be able to prolong the average human lifespan by a significant amount, but 500 years is probably pushing it. I'm open minded though.

15. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    That's my reason to become that old, to sit tight and wait. I'm just so goddamn intrested in what the future will bring...