6.8 and bf2

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by cupper24, Aug 24, 2006.

1. cupper24

cupper24 Guest

GPU:
    HIS 6950 2GB (860/1300)
    Anyone try running bf2 w/ new CATs????

2. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    im waiting for the 1.4 patch to be released, then i'll install the drivers and see how it'll run. BF2 1.3 is a bit broken.

3. cupper24

cupper24 Guest

GPU:
    HIS 6950 2GB (860/1300)
    broken... how?

EDIT: Any info on the release of 1.4?

4. chevro1et

chevro1et Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel GMA950 integrated
    I am running official cat6.8 and playing BF2 these days... everything seems crisp and smooth to me... whats ur issue, cupper24?

Dunno about BF2v1.4, not gonna hold my breath.

5. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    the server side code is messed up, something is causing the servers to often crash after 2 hours of playing, sometimes it may take a bit longer.

a lot of people are suffering from various different CTD issues. i always crash to desktop when i click the join game button for the first time when a map has loaded.

the red/blue name tag bug is still there after all this time. the bug will make you see some of your teammates as the enemy sometimes by changing the color of the name tag.

animations often get stuck at certain positions wich will make players look like total idiots when they run around with arms wide open or something. gotta admit it looks funny as hell but gets old pretty fast. in the same category you could mention the bouncing and twitching corpses.

the game also doesnt run nearly as smoothly as it used to run in 1.2 or earlier versions.

not everyone ofcourse suffer from these issues but a LOT of people do. the patch is hopefully out tonight ( friday ) but knowing EA it'll come out prolly sometime next week. heres the latest info about it wich was released yesterday:

As an update to progress with the delayed 1.4 patch, the patch has now passed initial re-testing but has yet to pass final approval before it is prepped for release. When this has happened the patch will be staged for release and we will let you all know. Once again we appologise for any frustration this delay is causing however it has occured to ensure the patch is as solid as possible.

6. FirePhoenixCtk

FirePhoenixCtk Active Member

GPU:
    X1900xt 512mb
    Although i dont get any of these problems that Repo Man is getting i used to have them. But the bug that p*sses me off the most is the server browser bug, how can they still not have fixed this after so many patches. All they did was pretent to listen to the community but all they did was introduce stupid features and more bugs while fixing less stuff.

7. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    well i jumped the gun a bit and decided to give these drivers a go in BF2 1.3 and all i can say is that ive never seen such a big drop in performance from a driver set. Aquamark 3 framerates dropped by 3fps avarage, i usually get around 64 avarage and now around 61 but i was more interested how these work in games so i loaded up BF2 and oh dear god i cant even play on 64 man servers anymore cos the game stutters so badly.

6.8's definately not for my rig so im going back to 6.7's. maybe 6.9's will be different.

8. chevro1et

chevro1et Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel GMA950 integrated
    Yea, I think that the drivers are getting mature enough that they don't really do any benifet for older gen cards, most optimizations are targeted for current gen cards.

9. chad1073

chad1073 Member

GPU:
    ATI X800LX
    3.8 bf2

Hi anyone having bf2 freeze up when playing ans some times textures disapear im going back to 3.7 drivers never any trouble with them.

specs: 1 gig ram
    p4 2.8 x800Lx pcie

10. Robbie Man

Robbie Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7950GT 512mb
    just got 6.8 and IQ seems good, performance seems good, bf2 seems good

11. cupper24

cupper24 Guest

GPU:
    HIS 6950 2GB (860/1300)

Is the X1800 GTO an "older" card?? I figured it ranked up there given it's only like 2 years old!

I rolled back to the 6.7 and they seem to work better... thinking about giving the omega 6.7s a test run... anyone have any info on them and BF2???

12. chevro1et

chevro1et Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel GMA950 integrated
    In regards to the 'older card' reference, that was directed to Repo Man who is running a x800 series card.

cupper24: You never did clarify what your issue is/ was w. BF2 and cat6.8 :3eyes:

13. chad1073

chad1073 Member

GPU:
    ATI X800LX
    chuck drivers? sorry im a noob but r they just the ati drivers from ati site? if not is there a place to download these drivers?

14. cupper24

cupper24 Guest

GPU:
    HIS 6950 2GB (860/1300)
    My issue is that it is sluggish at HIGH settings. I do however have dynamic shadows and texture mapping at MEDIUM. I play at a resolution of 1280 X 1024@75Hz. I have tried tried it at all other frequencies (60 Hz- 75Hz) I DO have an LCD monitor, so what ever frequency I put it at, that's where the FPS is capped. Let's say I'm running on the ground... the rendering of the ground beneath me is anoyingly choppy... but turning and shooting yield no sort of lag at all. I know my video card is a downsized version of the XL and XT, but still think I should be able to run the game at HIGH no problem @ 1280 X 1024 res. It seems even SLOWER when I degrade down to 1024 X 768 res @ (60Hz-75Hz)... Those are my biggest issues. I believe I will harm my LCD if I push the refresh to above 75Hz... if someone could confirm this, that would be nice... THANKS!

15. cupper24

cupper24 Guest

GPU:
    HIS 6950 2GB (860/1300)
    Chuck drivers means 'get rid of them and install different ones.' ATI drivers are available for download at many different places including guru3d.com, just goole "ATI Catalyst dirver downloads" and search for tweaked drivers too if that's your thing.

16. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    the refresh rate shouldnt affect performance in any way unless you have V-sync on. make sure its turned off. other then that i dont have any ideas, im running the game at 1024 x 768, everything maxed with 4x AA and it performs alright. your card is newer generation and should be quite a bit faster.

17. chevro1et

chevro1et Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel GMA950 integrated
    cupper24-> In addition to what Repo Man has mentioned, even a slight OC on your CPU would probabaly help smooth out the rendering... I run BF2 on all high except shadows/ lighting on medium, 1280x1024, and rarely see frames around 60fps, more often around 90+ fps. If you were not aware, you can use the ingame console (press '~' button) and type 'renderer.drawfps 1' to display you ingame fps.

18. asd1301

asd1301 Member Guru

GPU:
    gto 2
    Repo Man ???

u said:
    "the refresh rate shouldnt affect performance in any way unless you have V-sync on. make sure its turned off"

plz explain ....cos i always use VSINC ON and refresh 100..i just can't live without VSINC ON ...if it's off it's like all the movement is CRACHY tattered.....bahh :puke3:
    so if i always use "on" what did u mean by "affecting performance " ?

10x

19. gpierre

gpierre New Member

V-Sync synchronises your max frame rate with your monitors refresh rate, have it on, if your monitor is 75hz then theres no point in having the game running at more than 75fps it'll just end up tearing and looking crap.

20. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    i can understand if some people prefer to run with V-sync on as some people simply hate the occasional "tearing" in the graphics, personally i dont mind it and prefer to have the highest fps possible at all times especially since my card is starting show its age.

the reason i often tell people to run games with V-sync off is that when the framerate starts to drop below the locked amount, be it 85 or 100 or whatever, the framerate gets halfed instead of steadily decreasing/increasing.

example ( feel free to correct me if i have misinterpreted what i have read and im wrong ): you have your monitor set to 100hz refresh rate and you turn on V-sync and start playing. your framerates are at 100 and V-sync is doing its thing but then something big starts happening and your fps drops a little bit. now instead of your fps dropping to 89 for example, it'll go straight down to 50. if it drops even more for some reason, then it'll go down to 25 and from there to 12.5 and so on. i dont know what the effect is on games where the frame rate is capped to 90 or 60 in the engine. but anyways you get the idea.

heres a nice sticky that explains V-sync a bit and other ATI control panel settings:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=96948