What do you think of this.....

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by boodikon, Aug 16, 2006.

1. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
  2. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    neat but I would not want that kinda desktop would be extra clutter fer me that I would not need

3. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    just 1 word. WOW. Look @ those animations(moves) and capability of ...damn i started to forget english. Capability of desktop.:(
    ı think many forum members must see this :)

4. Morpheous416

Morpheous416 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Super OC 12GB
    Not bad.....reminds me of the work they are doing for Looking Glass. Some of the ideas those programmers have for the Linux environment are far beyond anything I've heard of MS coming up with.....even in the distant future.

5. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    It looks like it might make a big resource hog to do all of those fancy trasitions and whatnot. I could be wrong, but I would just assume that based on all it was doing.

6. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Its funny though, Linux start to put these things in, yet have people seen Expose and some of the User Switching in OS X?

They do some really funky animations, and you don't even need a grunty machine to do it, not to mention all the transparencies.

Amazing what you can do with a OS that's an entirely Postscript OS built on Unix.

7. Paulus

Paulus Master Guru

GPU:
    7900GTX
    nope people are running it on geforce 3's fine, on really low end machines.

btw that video sucks compared to this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lawkc3jH3ws&eurl

finch is right tho, noone made much of a fuss over expose and all the features in osx. But thats coz your restricted to using a mac... thats the difference.

8. SmoKieMcPott

SmoKieMcPott Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX280 1gb
    amd64 machines can run OSX just fine, i ran it on my machine last year for awhile. i love OSX but the support just simply isnt there for my games

9. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    As opposed to being restricted to Linux?

That's all very pretty and all, but OS X takes a cool animation, but doesn't drag it out, makes it fast, and quick, so it doesn't get in the way of work.

I mean XGL is pretty cool, but I don't think it helps workflow in any way.

10. Paulus

Paulus Master Guru

GPU:
    7900GTX
    you only have the fancy effects if your using ati. No quartz/quartz extreme on nvidia hardware just yet.

anyway it's not legal to run osx86.

Regarding usefullness, I disagree.. clearly expose is very usefull, so is live alt-tabbing. I think the cube is kinda geeky which is where alot of critism seems to stem from, but you can change it to a sliding transition now. Using quinn's current compiz packages you can customise and streamline compiz to your liking.

For instance I disable the "wobbly" plugin because it can be annoying to use.. which keeps xgl/compiz quite bare, subtle and highly usable.

The point i'm trying to make is that with linux generally you can customize/make choices you can't otherwise make in other operating systems which is really ideal for a fairly adept user, but perhaps not great for a novice where too many options/considerations can be overwhelming.

This is certainly one of the reasons xgl/compiz is considered alpha/pre-release software. Novell's SLED will be out very soon, I think then we can have a valid debate over xgl/compiz.

p.s for a healthly compiz discussion, head over to www.compiz.net

Last edited: Aug 24, 2006