Long Hair (for guys)

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by 古強者死神, Aug 16, 2006.

1. I am way over due for my haircut since my barber is not answering his phone and the last 3 times I went to a local place they messed it up and it cost more. So my hair is getting pretty freakin long now like 3 inches (long anyways compared to my normal haircut wich is semi military style)

So for some reason, while I like how it looks long and so does my family its a pain in the ars to get it to look good every day with my cowlicks (spelling) and frizzy/curly hair and I just got this urge to grow it long long like, pony tail long for some reason thinking hey it would totally eliminate my problem with trying to style my bangs, the cowlicks, and all that jazz, I can just toss it up in a pony tail like my wife does.

Sounds good an all but I know well ahead of time growing hair that long is hard, and its much harder to take care of than my short hair but I think I am gonna give it a shot anyways. I am so in the dark tho about how to get there. I cant just let it grow at random since I need to look presentable for work, more importantly what kind of hair cut to get?

If you can imagine a buzz cut that was a 1 on the sides, faded into a 4 on top with the bangs left longer wich I spiked thats my normal haircut pretty much, now its all grown out I have very long hair in the back and on the sides, should I not shave that down and just let the top/front grow? or does it all grow together? I think if I dont cut it in the back I will have somthing resembling a mullet if it gets much longer....

Feed me advice here guys. I cant find much on the net about it.

2. Recrofne

Recrofne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    I'm not 100% sure what you're asking, but long hair on guys can work. I think it can look pretty good as long as it's not really thin and stringy (that usually doesn't work, at least from what I've seen).

I personally have long hair, it goes down a ways past my shoulders but because it's so wavy/curly, it doesn't look like it unless you pull it down or if it's wet. My hair has always grown very fast but I still went through a period where I couldn't get it to stay down well. Just use alot of moose, not gel or hairspray since it's bad for your hair. Keep it conditioned well too!

Hair usually doesn't grow evenly all around, just keep the longer parts trimmed at the length you like while the rest catches up. Getting it all cut to match or doing "touch ups" might seem like a good idea in the long run, but it will just take that much longer to grow.

I put mine in a ponytail when around the house and just don't feel like messing with it, never when I go out though.

Anyway, I'm not a complete hair expert, but I do have long hair and take care of it well. If you have any questions, just ask.

3. If gel hurts hair mine must be fukked then since I use some daily to hold it in place and spike it, but I dont have to comb/brush it so thats one damaging thing I avoid.

what I was asking tho is more like how do you cut it while its growing, its kinda long in the back and on the sides. I know in school some of the guys with long hair had it shaved underneath in the back and sides and just had long hair on top. Is that normal or more of just an alternative.

4. candle_86

candle_86 Guest

im more short hair kinda guy, I wear mine in a militray cut, with 1in on top and 1//2in on the side, and never really like long hair and thought guys with it where silly.

5. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    I used to have long hair up until a couple of months ago. I had all of mine long and when you are growing it out there will be a period of about 2-4 months where it will be an absolute pain to do anything with it. Once it passes that stage you officially have long hair :p. I don't like the guys that just leave the top (called an undercut). I much prefer t growing it all out because then there is so much more you can do with it when it is long and it looks far more natural.

Unfortunately as you've guessed it is a lot of maintenance compared to short hair. And if you do get lazy and not bother with it then it will turn into a bird's nest. The reason I cut mine was because of all the maintenance. It almost doubled my shower time from 10-15min to 20-25min. I kept my hair long for about 6 years though so it is doable. Couple of months ago I was just kinda bored with it and was about to go overseas (to summer!) and was sick of the maintenance so i got rid of it. Now I get up 6:30am and I am out of the house by 7:00am breakfast, shower and all.

My advice just grit your teeth for a couple of months during the unruly period and just trim it a little to keep it as neat as possible and after that it is... well not clear sailing but it can be very fruitful sailing... :eyebrows:

6. Icebird

Icebird Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Undercuts are just nasty. I laugh when I see guys with undercuts. But that is of course just my "humble" opinion. Other than that, it sounds like your hair isn't "thin and stringy" (people with thing and stringy hair should never grow it out, cause it looks like 1. They're hardcore metal fans. 2. "I'm desperate, my hair is thin! I'm going to compensate by growing it looong..."), so maybe long hair would look good on you :) It all depends. Is your hair very wavy? Cause then it might be a real hassle growing it out, for a few months, even half a year, it might look like crap.

And just remember that it is much much much more work to have long hair, than short hair. You might have to start conditioning it :3eyes: Sound scary, doesn't it. Plus, to keep your long hair healthy, you should get the ends cut every 2nd months to keep them from splitting. So, it might be worth it cause you don't have to get a military cut every what, 5th week? but you may also realise that long hair is even more of a hassle! And you're going to walk around smelling all flowery and fruity, because over here atleast, they don't produce shampoo for long hair without that scent. So, no more macho smells. Unless Head&Shoulders have come out with a conditioner yet, I can't remember.

Either way! Good luck!

7. candle_86

candle_86 Guest

well there is Sauve for men

8. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    Mine is quite long...it was longer but it got cut last week cos it was annoying me.

As long as you keep it clean and as the others have said it's reasonably thick, it works quite well.

Before mine was cut i seriously had people shouting 'Get a haircut you hippy' and the like when i was in town, lol

I think about shoulder length is ok...but if your hair wants to go curly then it just gets annoying cos it flaps around and grows outwards.

9. anticitizen013

anticitizen013 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    I used to have long hair in dreads, but it was such a hassle to keep up and such. I shaved it all off and ever since then I have been shaving my head. So much better than having this stupid mop on your head. Gets in the way, requires far more maintenance, and generally just looks silly for the most part. It looks fine on some people, I dont know if youre one of them (plus it doesnt really matter what I think anyways) but if you like it then go for it. It never hurts to try!

10. Food

Food Banned

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTX 768MB
    never had long hair and never will. facial hair is what i like, hairy women can be sexy though..............SOMETIMES!

11. Verga_del_Brujo

Verga_del_Brujo Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4670 512mb
    I used long hair for about 10 years, now I have it short. Even if my hair is wavy, long hair it's easier because you only go to the barber once a year, don't have to worry to comb it carefully, just a little to tie it in a pony tail and that's all. The only bad thing is that maybe in your job the boss doesn't like it.

12. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    I used to have long hair, but it seems to me that you're just looking for a hairstyle that isnt supershort. Go to a hairstylist and they'll cut it according to what style you want.

They should have pictures of the many different ways to cut it, my wife has a book with over 100 styles for men. Make sure you find one whos used to cutting men's hair though, you dont wanna be a guinea pig.

13. silkiechic

silkiechic Member Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon 9250 256MB
    I can sit on the ends of my hair. It doesn't bother me at all. Just ball it up and put a chopstick though it when it gets in the way. :p But I think you should get it cut as that probally looks more proper and you can look more professional.

14. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    My wife is a hair stylist and I can never get my hair cut when I need, lol
    I have to beg for weeks before I finally get her to cut my hair.
    But if one of her friends call for a hair cut - they get it theirs cut the same day.
    Sorry - didn't mean to spam but I needed to vent!

Post a pic of yourself and maybe some of the Photoshop guru's around here can design a nice hair style for you .. lol.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  15. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    Ha thats so funny but so true, I usually end up at a barber.

16. The Kyle

The Kyle Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD3870 / Radeon HD
    I personally am a fan of the fohawk. I finally got my haircut yesterday because it was getting kind of out of control. I know it's not a great pic but imagine this about 2 inches higher.

[​IMG]

17. compunut

compunut Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX Geforce 7900GT SLI
    I love that punk style long hair
    thats what my bro has in 3rd year engineering - its damn good on him

18. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    I am currently in the process of growing a long hair. Still cannot get it on a pony tail but it is quite long now

19. Freedom Eclipse

Freedom Eclipse Guest

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 970
    Im growing Long hair. I use to have it very short & spiked back. but since my hair grows fast. & my barbers kids seem to be getting more "Bling" each time I saw them I decided to stop. My hair hasnt been touched by knife nor sissors. or even a razor blade for nearly 2 months. give me another month & I'l be able to walk around town saying "peace man!!!" as well as giving the 2 finger salute..not to mention taking in the hobbie of tree hugging....

I hate having my hair this long as its an arse to manage & it gets really dirty like in 2-3 days so it needs to be washed constantly........

but for those who hate having long hair.....think of it as a way to displine yourself......
    you hate it but yet u let it grow like the lovely trees.....DAMNIT!! need to get my head checked if i keep doing this hippie talk!

PEACE OUT!!!!!

20. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    mee too! I used to have hair past my behind had to keep it in a pony tail. I will tell you though my hair got me more play with the girls in the cluns than anything....oh can I braid your hair..etc...People say you have to look respectable..well I put my hair in a ponytail and put it under my shirt and I am as clean cut as they come...But yes it is a pain to take care of though...it's about hlf way down my back right now...thats about 7 months worth...my hair grows fast.. It works great on guys, BUT you have to keep care of it,keep it clean and brushed at all times...nothing worse than a long haired greasy person...bad...IT definatley can work for you...