iTunes Transfer

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by Omeguz, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Omeguz

Omeguz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6600 256 MB AGP
    Hi all,
    I'm typing this from Chian Mai in Thailand, one of the many stops of my vacation there! Having an awesome time! :)

Anyway, when I get back from Thailand I have about 5-6 days before I fly to university in England. I have ordered a notebook, it will be there when I get home from Thailand. I use an iPod and have iTunes installed on my home PC.

Now, basically what I want to do it transfer what I have on my home PC onto my notebook (which will be coming with me to uni). I'm talking the music files, the playlists and the song information. My main concern is the mapping. I have all my music files on my D: drive on my PC, but it'll all be different when I copy everything over onto my new notebook.
    Also, will all the song information, number of plays, rating and name changes remain in the files or will it all be lost?

I know Apple has issued some guides on this, which I have read, but I wanted to see if someone could give me a failproof guide on what to do. I really don't want to lose everything. :)

It'd be great if I could get this figured out before I get back home, this way I can get home and get it done with no worries.

Thanks all! :) Take care!

2. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I'm back :D. Anyways copy C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\My Documents\My Music\iTunes
    Yours will be different, but you want the folder it should have other files that contain the playlist info. But you'll probably need to consolidate your lbrary first, this will put all the music in itunes default place so make sure this is set to where you want.

3. Omeguz

Omeguz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6600 256 MB AGP
    Thanks! :) Where do I set the place where my library gets consolidated to?
    Like I said, my main concern is that e.g. "Song X" is mapped with the path to e.g. D:\Stuff\Music

Now, if I transfer all my music over to my notebook, the path will change.

Thanks DCX!

4. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512