Overclocking6600GT

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by XtremeDimension, Jul 27, 2006.

1. XtremeDimension

XtremeDimension New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 260 (896 MB)
    What is the safe range of overclocking in a 6600GT card?
    What are its temperature limits which is safe without affecting the cards future performance?

2. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    Overclock potential for each card is different so you will need to experiment with your card.
    I like to install coolbits and do the auto overclock and see what it recommends, and then slowly raise the clock speeds from there until you see artifacts or experience problems.
    As far as temps go, anything above 75c makes me a little nervous.

3. XtremeDimension

XtremeDimension New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 260 (896 MB)
    thnx estema8or

4. rpg711

rpg711 Guest

well... my msi 6600gt did 600/1250 before artifacting
    NEVER EVER USE AUTO!!! IT WILL DETECT VERYVERY VERY HIGH SPEEDS...
    i did once and it said mine will do 800/1800... dont use it... damaged my card that way and i couldnt play at 1204/1048 res anymore... the screan turned yellow when it detected lol

5. Drunkenmasta

Drunkenmasta Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    Yeah, I tried auto detect on my 6800 GT and I got 438 / 1.18 and it locked up and artifacted on those speeds as soon as I played a game.

If you do auto detect, turn it down at least by 3% on both mem and core and keep playing until you find your optimal clock or you could just go up by 10% every time you test it on the core and memory.

As far as temperature goes, the 6 series can take a HELL of a heating-beating. My GPU stops at 120 degrees celcius (though on load it doesn't go over 80 degrees in winter or summer). I think any higher than 90 degrees celcius you should consider more cooling.

You will also find that if you overclock, heat may cause early lockups or artifacts so if your overclocking it would be a good idea to add a 120 mm fan or something to keep it cool because overclocking can be heat sensetive and this can spoil your overclock.

;)

Good luck!

pz out

6. rpg711

rpg711 Guest

or, u can be ghetto and stack a fan on the card... thats what i did and it lowered temps by 4 c it was 64* and after the stacking of fans... it was 60*
    but dont forget to take the face plate off the hsf... u no the thing that says MSI:GAMING or something like that before u stack the fan on

7. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    I have never had the coolbits auto overclock set my clock speeds to high for any of my cards and I've been using it for years.
    I guess I've just been REAL lucky?

8. Im2bad

Im2bad Guest

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Well in my case when I used auto detect I could ram the clocks up a lot, I think that they were something like 530/1100. Don't remember so well. Now I'm running 542/1200 and those are the absolute limits for my card.

The temp limits are over 100c cause at least the AGP cards heat up to 90c but that doesn't degrade performance, well I haven't noticed anything.
    For the safe limit in OCing I'd say 50-100MHz for the memory and 25-50MHz for the core. But I don't really know about PCI-E cards that how tolerant they are about OCing.

9. Darkasantion

Darkasantion Master Guru

GPU:
    Club 3D HD5870 1035/1325
    Well I can run 558/1125 here on AGP without trouble, however don't have ram cooled so that's holding me back:p

10. deathvirus

deathvirus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 MaxQ 8GB
    My 6600GT did 585/1225 with the stock cooling ... i could have gone higher .. but with that oc the temps did go a bit high ...

11. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    I keep mine at 570/1200 for daily use. My OC maxs out at 596/1225 though. I really wanted to hit 600 on core but newer games just won't stay stable at the higher core. I'll get there eventually.

12. realdude19

realdude19 Active Member

GPU:
    9600GT 512mb PCIx16 2.0
    Heres a Question for ya, If you were to Flash the Bios on a 6600GT would it pay off like it does with the 5900's? you know higher fan speeds and more stable overclock? Just curious.
    oh and Have you guys seen anything on overclocking in windows xp Pro 64bit using Driver Version "9.1.3.1" Its the new beta for win xp 64.