poor performance...why?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Tyr10, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Tyr10

Tyr10 New Member

GPU:
    BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC 512mb
    Hey all,

Just bought this new rig and was excited to finally be able to play some of the latest games the way they were meant to be played with such an upgrade over what I used to have which was a 1.8ghz pentium and radeon 9800.

So I go to start up the "Luna" demo that came in the BFG box and its literally like 4 fps.
    I thought this demo was for older cards and my new Geforce 7900 OCed GTX cant handle it?

so I tried 3dmark 06 and the first demo ran ok....to say the least. The highest fps was 30 and the usual was around 15.

Then the second demo came on and the fps dropped down to 2 fps in which I just exited and stopped right there.

Then I tried an older game Rome Total War. Put everything on high and huge armies, and it stutters. I paid 599.99 canadian for this card and hoped it would run everything smoothly.

I dont understand, this is a new system and shouldnt it be able to handle anything thrown at it? why such a poor performance? any help will be greatly appreciated

2. DrFreeze

DrFreeze Guest

GPU:
    MSI GT740 2GB
    could you do a full 3dmark run and post a score? im not sure how many FPS is normal in most tests, i tend to look at the end score

are you sure you set up the hardware right? power connector and all? did the drivers right?(1. chipset 2. vga driver)

3. orion24

orion24 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1254/1703
    Did you install the chipset drivers?

4. Spitfire303

Spitfire303 Master Guru

GPU:
    In o 3D GTX 1060 6g
    did you connect the additional power connector?

5. CTman

CTman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6800 V9999
    Good day,

Poor performance with a geforce 7900 series gfx card?

Such poor performance is often caused by the windows OS which is somehow not working properly anymore. Reinstall the Windows OS is then the best remedy.

But if you find that reinstalling the windows os is troublesome, then you can first try to uninstall all the drivers (for mainboard, gfx card, etc.), and go to safe mode, then use driver cleaner pro to wipe out the not properly working drivers. After that use the build-in cab cleaner to rebuild a new cab. Then go back to windows xp and reinstall the drivers for mainboard, gfx card, etc.

You can also uninstall the directx 9c (reinstalling will sometimes help, but not always), but since there's no uninstaller for the directx, you can get rid of the directx by using directx uninstaller tools/utilities, which is downloadable on the internet. Use the Directx eradicator 2.0:
    http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=626

But you have to check your geforce 7900GT, it uses external power via a pci-e power connector. Is the connector properly attached? Normally there will be an alarm (sirene) if the pci-e power connector is not attached properly.

But before all this steps mentioned as above, do a backup if something goes wrong!

Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2006
  6. khohne

khohne Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 480 Asus
    the card could be defective..... An awful lot off the 7900 series that are factory overclocked are defective, i think EVGA has fixed there's though....

7. AHM2307

AHM2307 New Member

wow....this is scary. I have a very similiar rig and I'm facing some underperformance issues myself. I'll try reinstalling Windows and hope that fixes it....I got around 5800 in 3dMark 06. You should get the same score.

8. Undercova

Undercova Guest

GPU:
    660GTX Windforce
    Unfortunately i'm suffering from low performance too, it's not anything like stuttering or 5-10 fps in games, but its still quite low for my system. In 7900GT's review Quake 4 gave like 120fps and im getting around 70 fps with same settings and V-sync off, and even tho the cpu was ater, it shouldn't have impact like that on fps.

9. Tyr10

Tyr10 New Member

GPU:
    ok reinstalling my drivers, and I bought a new power cord because mine was like.....20 years old, ill see if thats the trick.

EDIT: yea I double checked everything was connected properly, so that cant be the issue :(

10. Tyr10

Tyr10 New Member

GPU:
    ok reinstalled all the drivers, and the OS is a clean install....the problems still occur.

I downloaded a Quake 4, CoJ, and AOE 3 demo's, and the Quake 4 ran fine at everything max 12x10 resolution.
    The CoJ ran at about 30fps, everything max 12x10 and AOE stuttered at everything max 12x10.

3dmark 06 and the luna demo still have horrid frame rates.

This is quite frustrating to say the least.

11. NobleKnight51

NobleKnight51 Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GT 512MB PCI-E
    Try turning off your sound.

Onboard sound sucks up CPU cycles.

12. Tyr10

Tyr10 New Member

GPU:
    Tried the suggestions and still no improvement.

I decided to download 3d mark 05 to see if that would work. The first three tests ran smoothly hovering between 30fps usually. On the second and third it would be around 40-60. Then the next two tests came, and the qualitly looked much poorer and the fps went down to 2!

then when it tried to load the 6th test the computer crashed. ugh.

I need big help! I just want this system to work.

13. EliXyR

EliXyR Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX 600/1000
    is ur PSU giving the power the system needs? the problem u describe just sounds like a PSU problem.. do u have a other one u can try out in your system maby?

14. peterdiva

peterdiva Member

GPU:
    Gainward Bliss 7800GS+ AGP
    Your FPS indicate that you have VSync enabled, you need to disable it to run the 3Dmark tests. The lower quality tests at 2 FPS are the CPU tests, this is normal.

15. CTman

CTman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6800 V9999
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2006

16. ArCElM

ArCElM Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte WF 680 x2 SLi
    Well I personally think you need to visit the BIOS and turn off AMD Cool 'n Quiet. There is a horse load of BIOS settings that can screw your performance, I would say before an OS reinstall, check your BIOS.

17. Undercova

Undercova Guest

GPU:
    660GTX Windforce
    Can you name any other options at BIOS that should be changed?

18. MotoXer

MotoXer Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTS 320
    "I decided to download 3d mark 05 to see if that would work. The first three tests ran smoothly hovering between 30fps usually. On the second and third it would be around 40-60. Then the next two tests came, and the qualitly looked much poorer and the fps went down to 2! "

Are those other 2 tests the be cpu tests? The quality on those should look horrible, and your fps should be around 1 to 2. It is just testing your cpu, your graphics card is not processing anything in cpu tests.

19. Spitfire303

Spitfire303 Master Guru

GPU:
    In o 3D GTX 1060 6g
    Anyone know where I could find (if it exists) a version for french WIN XP of this upda? I downloaded this one but it doesn't work as the language is not the same... I looked on the french site of microsoft but I haven't found this file there at all...
    thx

20. CTman

CTman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6800 V9999
    Good day,

download the patch for XP localized in Dutch here:
    http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/ms_kbs/windowsxp-kb896256-v3-x86-dut.exe

download the patch for XP localized in English here:
    http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/ms_kbs/windowsxp-kb896256-v3-x86-enu.exe

download the patch for XP localized in French here:
    http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/ms_kbs/windowsxp-kb896256-v3-x86-fra.exe

download the patch for XP localized in German here:
    http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/ms_kbs/windowsxp-kb896256-v3-x86-deu.exe

download the patch for XP localized in Italian here:
    http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/ms_kbs/windowsxp-kb896256-v3-x86-ita.exe

download the patch for XP localized in Spanish here:
    http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/ms_kbs/windowsxp-kb896256-v3-x86-esn.exe

download the patch for XP localized in Turkish here:
    http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/ms_kbs/windowsxp-kb896256-v3-x86-trk.exe

And for those with amd x2 processors can also try the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer, which may also solve the performance problems with the X2.

download the amd dual-core optimizer here: http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html

Good luck!