939 or am2

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by brewskee78, Jul 24, 2006.

1. brewskee78

brewskee78 Member Guru

GPU:
    Msi 7600GT 256MB w/ ViVo
    crap the time has come to decide witch should i go with...939 or the am2 version of the 64 X2 +3800... ive been studying the reviews and what not of the results between the 2 and theres not a whole lot of difference. im leaning towards 939 because of the ide's, and more wide variety of mobo's. most occasions the ddr 400 performed better than the ddr2 800... but im torn i want somthing i can upgrade in the future... aslo was wonderin is Nforce 5 series worth the upgrade over 4 series.. basicly its what im torn between i cant seem to decide witch... aslo wich platform would be better for gaming and overclocking? HELP ME GURU's!

p.s. Plz no comments or anything about Conroe.....

2. COOSTA

COOSTA Master Guru

GPU:
    GT650m 2GB
    i think go to 939,because in 2008 there will be anyway new socket from amd''AM3''

3. Paladinchan

Paladinchan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3
    isnt AM2 compat with AM3...or other way around

4. MTL

MTL Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 7900GTO SLI
    I'm in the process of building a system and I decided to go with 939. I like the fact that you can get 2GB of great low-latency ram for next to nothing. In addition, with AM2 and Conroe out now everyone is rushing to get rid of their 939 systems so you can find some great deals on EBay and the buy/sell threads on various sites.

5. Paradigm

Paradigm Guest

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog
    yeah the pin count will stay the same..although mobo will need to be changed..cuz' the DDR3 will have be structurally different...as much as it hurts me to say it (cuz i too upgraded to the 939 from the 754 along the time of the AM2 launch)

GO for the AM2 no harm...it'll see you through....eitherways...you won't have to change all three to move to DDR3 (unlike 939 users) but rather RAM and perhaps mobo (only for the sake of DDR3 )

look at all the benefits you will acquire all the new host of nvida ethernet features...the AMD LIVE ( for what ever it is worth) so go for it

6. Wendig0

Wendig0 Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor PCS+ AXR9 290X
    Yeah I'm pretty sure I read somewhere saying that they are.

I'm building me an am2 setup, but I think it doesn't matter between them. But I spent hours debating, and I just was like well what ever. I'm pretty sure you will be happy with either one you choose.

7. brewskee78

brewskee78 Member Guru

GPU:
    Msi 7600GT 256MB w/ ViVo
    now is the day for orderin parts.. newegg just updated there prices so im ready to buy... just want someone to say that 939 is gonna last 2 more 1 1/2 more years... dont wanna go 939 then some crazy fast ram coming out for DDR2. but im prob gonna go with what build out is more inexpensive...

8. brewskee78

brewskee78 Member Guru

GPU:
    Msi 7600GT 256MB w/ ViVo
    ive decided to go 939... save a couple $$ and its gonna be a SLI ready system.. if i went am2 it wouldnt have been...

Heres the setup im about to order...

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 939

Gigabyte GA-K8N-SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

MSI NX7600GT-VT2D256EHD Geforce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

Patriot 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 2-3-2-5 1T

any thoughts?

9. Wendig0

Wendig0 Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor PCS+ AXR9 290X
    nice, i just ordered my am2 system from newegg like 2 hours ago.

10. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    well... technically the pin count between 940 and AM2 didn't change... just moved a pin from the corner to the middle.... or somethin like that.

brewskee.... i'd still say you should try for AM2. you don't necessarily NEED to buy DDR2 800. you could get say.... DDR2 667, and when you decide to go SLI, maybe upgrade the RAM too.

11. Snooper

Snooper Master Guru

GPU:
    2xASUS EN7800GTX
    I was working on upgrading to AM2 from my 939 but decided to hold off after hearing about AM3 I'll probably just hold off on building a new system until Vista comes out and seing how my current rig runs it. I know right now with the latest build 5472 I was pretty zippy unlike past builds so maybe when and if it gets released to OEM's and MSDN I'll take it for another run. Plus Crysis looks like it will only run on Vista as it's DX10 witch will only be fore Vista witch means another video card upgrade. I think the best thing to do would be putting off a build until next year after the release of Vista and hardware to support it unless your computer is just dog slow. I think I was reading somewhere there expecting a new type of HDD to start hitting the market designed to Vista and using flash memory to wake the PC up quicker etc so I think we might be seing a large change in Tech through 2007 into 2008 while Vista becomes more popular and more people move to it as systems get certified to run it...

12. brewskee78

brewskee78 Member Guru

GPU:
    Msi 7600GT 256MB w/ ViVo
    thnx for the advice but... when i buy this system i dont want to upgrade any core parts for a while... so im just stickin with the 939 setup.. before when i was calculating parts the am2 setup was in my range but i forgot about the PSU then now im gettin the 939 setup cause it all fits nicely into my budget. Im not even trying to worry about vista at the moment... i dont really care for it at the moment.. i never get a OS right when it firsts come out.. i usualy like to wait till its nice and debugged... All windows were like that... all buggy at first then they get smoothed out... plus i have alot of audio editing software i have and its only for xp. if you know how much audio software costs then youll know what im talking about... and im pretty sure after Vista is mainstream the technology to run it will have more selections and cheaper...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  13. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    isn't the whole solid state memory (i.e. flash) on hard drives mostly aimed towards the mobile market? and isn't Crysis due out shortly after christmas, or shortly before? i'm pretty sure it'll work well in both DX9 and DX10, since all they've really been showing was DX9.

14. brewskee78

brewskee78 Member Guru

GPU:
    Msi 7600GT 256MB w/ ViVo
    when it comes to OS's if it aint broke dont fix it...

15. brewskee78

brewskee78 Member Guru

GPU:
    Msi 7600GT 256MB w/ ViVo
    Just ordered it.. SWEET... :)

16. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    I'm going to wait and hang with 939 until DDR3 is released before I jump in either direction. AMD is slashing prices on 939 real soon so you should be able to buy a good rig for 30% less than you can now. Besides a 4000+ or X2 3800, 2GB of ram and a decent video card (7800/7900 or X1900) will run Vista or any game for the next 12 - 18 months just fine. I may dabble in the dark arts of Conroe just to see what it can do.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2006
  17. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    actually.... said price cuts already happened on most sites. Newegg now has the X2 3800+ for $167.00 i believe (which sucks majorly.... seeing as a month ago i spent $297 for mine...... stupid places not having price guarantee's.... GRRRR)

18. brewskee78

brewskee78 Member Guru

GPU:
    Msi 7600GT 256MB w/ ViVo
    yeah i wish they had that too...

19. ijozic

ijozic Active Member

GPU:
    X1800XT 512
    I don't think it was a good move since they cost roughly the same (unless you buy used). AM3 CPUs will be backwards compatible (at least they say so) so you could just upgrade the CPU later on. Now you'll have to change the board and the RAM also.

20. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    I've hard a very similar argument on Hardwareanalysis.com

I have to say it would have been my advice to build AM2.

939 is a dead end system.

AM2 however, will become better with BIOS upgrades, Driver upgrades/ optimisations, you will have a solid upgrade path for a few years as yes, AM3 CPU's will be backward compatible.

Still a decent system, but you could have made a more secure investment, couple with the knowledge that your system is pretty much future proof.

You have to remember 939 is very mature, therefore its as good as its going to get, AM2 can only get better as its only brand new.
    939 will be worth nothing in a years time, whereas AM2 will still be the AMD socket of choice.

Buying 939 now is like buying a 754 system last year.

Well, enjoy your rig anyway, its still a solid system.