3-3-3-8 ram timings

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Freedom Eclipse, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Freedom Eclipse

Freedom Eclipse Guest

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 970
    whats after that? lol can somebody explain to me how to tweak my memory as I needed it to overclock my 3000+ further on cheap ram. so far ive got it up to 2.4Ghz stable with my FSB at 275. my ram is Pc3200

sorry I havent been too direct & up front with my question......what I really want to know is.....Is it worth loosening the timings to a point where even though I get a great stable O/c. the ram is as loose as bubbas lips (watch forest gump) Cuz I know that loosening timings will really degrade performance but Im just not too sure on what kind of scale. e.g. running Pc3200 @ Pc 4000 speeds with real loose timings

I NEED HELP :(

Last edited: Jul 23, 2006
  2. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    DEviders Deviders thats all you need

3. Freedom Eclipse

Freedom Eclipse Guest

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 970
    I already know about those & have divided my ram into 133 so its running at 180Mhz right now. while im trying to find the max speed of my CPU.

no offence but your answer hasnt answerd my question. Im talking about Invidual memory timings. its an advanced question, for advanced gurus who can give me advanced answers not just a quick 2 second rant about dividers. cuz if ud understood my question you would have realised that u cant run a 275FSB straight off PC3200 ram unless u tweak the timings which is what im on about.....

so "advanced" answers please ;) I dont have time to waste

Last edited: Jul 23, 2006
  4. Preid

Preid Master Guru

GPU:
    8600GTm
    Theres no excuse for cheap-**** ram, buy some geil or ocz then think about it. I baked my old 512 of cheap crap ram trying to do what your doing-ish.

5. Freedom Eclipse

Freedom Eclipse Guest

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 970
    If I was out for that kinda answer I could have gone to my budgie for it. (& even the neighbours cat if it can get its fat arse over the garden fence) :( what happened to all the intelligent gurus out there? :(

If buying cheap ram is like buying a cheap CPU to O/c....

"why not buy a more expensive CPU (& faster) so i can O/C further"

but the point is. it saves money! i spent less then 50quid on this 1gig of cheap ram & I want to get the best out of it! Im not saying that I want to O/C my ram! I want to O/c my CPU & just tweaking the individual timings on ram thats running at its designed speed wont f**k it up! Im not trying to get 500Mhz out of a 400Mhz ram module. all i want its looser timings so I can O/c further as I found out that that is my main problem! ram timings! so take you 160-200quid ram & shuv it!

6. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

Freedom Eclipse, you aren't really going to get much help with the attiude that you are showing. Try to refrain from talking down to other users.

Also, depending on what RAM you have, you may not have to change the timings at all. Some hand picked BH-5 RAM can run 2-2-2-5 at extreme frequencies (260-270 range, sometimes higher, but that is rare). Here I'm just trying to make the point that not all PC3200 rated RAM is alike.

Now, even though you alread bashed the person that mentioned this, you need to put your RAM on a divider rather than use those super loose latencies. The K8 processors are not effected by running dividers the same way the K7 ones were. Therefore, it is not worth running super high latencies to preserve a 1:1 ratio.

If you want to see just how much performance you will lose with really loose latencies, then just do a google search, or even look at the RAM thread on these forums, and you will get an idea.

7. keenan

keenan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti Hydro Copper
    Timings on ram are just loosened when you're overclocking your ram, just put your ram on 2T command rate and set the ram speed on 100mhz and the HTT at 2 if you can change it, now you will find you cpu's max overclock. I had a 3000+ 754 and mine could do 2.7ghz on 1.65v

8. Freedom Eclipse

Freedom Eclipse Guest

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 970
    well this rams a bit tempramental. Ive O/C's to over 2,5Ghz but thats only cuz I came off the pre-programmed times & set it to 3-3-3-8. otherwise my windows XP would BSOD at startup. 3-3-3-8 has given me a 100% stable O/c of 1.5Ghz with the possiblilty of going even higher.. before when I was running the pre-programmed timings. getting 2.4Ghz + 75Mhz was as far as I could go 100% stable

9. DrFreeze

DrFreeze Guest

GPU:
    MSI GT740 2GB
    well you could try 3-4-4-8 2T timings, that might give it a bit more room

i would suggest checking to see what ram ICs you have, some chips respond very well to voltage increase

10. Freedom Eclipse

Freedom Eclipse Guest

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 970
    I will do ;) right now im running it a 2.7v's @ 230Mhz devided @ 166 which gives me a nice little O/c ;) im really trying to push the limits of my CPU even if the timings on the RAM go to ratsh*t. i dont give a damn about reaction speeds of the ram. i just want it to work with the O/C!

Thank you DrFreeze! by far the BEST & to the point answer since this topic was started

11. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

Well, your mindset is completely wrong. Having terrible timings on RAM (and you are running the worst timings that I've ever seen) will degrade your computer's performance, which will be evident in benchmarks. Just focusing on CPU speed and disregarding RAM is not the way to go. You'll have CPUs clocked slower than you beating your rig.

12. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    lol thats just mean what you said and bh-5 memory runs 2/3/2/5 @ 275 or somecan so :bolt: somecan go even lower timeing on ram are dependent on bios and the memory its self crappy memory just wont run good hint the name Value :)

13. Freedom Eclipse

Freedom Eclipse Guest

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 970
    Im not that stupid momomo. I know about the "overclockable" brands of e.g. OCZ Corsair, Talent, GeiL, Crucial Ballistix series, Patriot Xblack....the list goes on... but Im still new to overclocking so im trying to "perfect' this art if you may. i dont want to ''perfect" this art '&' be moaning & bitching about frying some 180quid ram. (hense the 3000+ for 70quid & old MSI mobo which was bought off ebay as a cheap OEM verson)

but once i think ive got the right knowledge i will get some corsair 3500LL's

14. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

Ok Freedom Eclipse. I'm really tired of you talking down to other people, so now it is your turn. I tried to be nice during this thread, but I've had enough.

Since you are clearly a n00b when it comes to RAM, I'll teach you a little something. Brands DO NOT make RAM overclockable. It is the ICs found on the RAM that dictate performance. Where brand does come into play is how they bin the ICs. Different models may be binned to a different speed. For example, my G.Skill HX is binned to 250MHz a 3-2-3-6 timings, but sold as 400MHz 2-3-2-5. 250 isn't guranteed, but usually attainable on this RAM.

So your whole "overclockable" brands things is COMPLETELY wrong. You can get a kit of Corsair or OCZ memory that runs like crap. Your line of thought is consistent with those that have little knowledge of RAM.

Corsair 3500LLs are very good since they use BE-5 ICs, some of the best for 2GB modules. Them being Corsair doesn't make them good. G.Skill's HX line used to be BE-5 modules, and those overclocked very well.

Now quit talking down to other members, or else people like myself, who have much more knowledge then you do, will give you a taste of your own medicine.

15. DrFreeze

DrFreeze Guest

GPU:
    MSI GT740 2GB
    Royicus, no flame intended, but your very first post in this topic starts with talking down to FE, wouldnt call that trying to be nice

if you want to explain abour ram ICs and so on (good info by the way) then try doing that without being so condescending, i know FE didnt really behave his best (who does huh?) but he is just going for his max OC, you dont need to treat him like an idiot because he isnt going for his best performing OC

16. deathvirus

deathvirus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 MaxQ 8GB
    Try this :

FSB : 300
    Multiplier : 8

RAM : 133 -> 200 (meaning force 133 initially)

HT Multiplier : 3x

SO in this case ur 3000+ can do 2.4 GHz , and u won't have to loosen the timing either ....

17. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

This belongs in PMs as it is strictly a personal thing. I'll take it there as I completely disagree with you. I'd like to keep discussion on this topic out of this thread.

18. Freedom Eclipse

Freedom Eclipse Guest

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 970
    Now if u had just told me THIS from the start then that would have helped alot rather then drag this topic this far. all i asked was for a simple but to the point answer for more or less a simple question (to those that know about ram timings a piss easy question)

YES I AM a n00b when it comes to dealing with RAM O/c'ing. im still learning how to do all this but how can I do that when I cant get the kind of answers to further my understanding? I mean thanks to all those who did reply & i am sorry if I did offend any1 of but seriously.....asside from DrFreeze & only NOW Royicus who have given me the answers im after, i can understand the whole ram thing abit better.

If People WANT to talk down to me all the time then fine. I really couldnt careless as its their time & effort they waste doing it. so long as they leave proper answers to my question(s) & not some 2 second rant about something or other then I dont really care about it. its Only text on a screen not a realtime knife in the chest. im sure not gonna miss any sleep over people who want to talk down to me on here.

Objective achieved.

anymods wanna lock this topic off to avoid further arguments then be my guest. as it is finished.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2006
  19. Freedom Eclipse

Freedom Eclipse Guest

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 970
    thanks but im already running at 3-3-3-8 timings, ram devided @ 166Mhz running a 280 FSB so the CPU is running a 2.5Ghz+20Mhz.

& just as ive told every1 else.........I BSOD with the ram left at its default timings but once i manually set it to 3-3-3-8 everything went smooth.no probs waht so ever.