SLI problems! Help!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by DPyro, Jul 21, 2006.

1. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    Look after you last post, I'm confused right now, Earlier you posted that you tested both cards and they worked in either slot as singles as long as it was one at a time,now you say it only works in the primary slot. It late I think it's time to call it a nite. I would suggest you start over from the beggining and go through everything again. Then Remove all the nvidia software and do a complete re-install.

I'm not going to say anymore about your PS if you don't think a antec 430 is enough to power your 66oogt to windows startup and some how it will allow one card to work but somehow MAGICALLY shut power down selectively to the other card so be it. go borrow a PS from the store

Last edited: Jul 22, 2006
  2. DPyro

DPyro Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6600 GT
    No, they both worked singly in the primary slot. I'll give it a whirl again, but yeah, I'm calling it a night.

3. -=l)l)B=-

-=l)l)B=- Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 260
    I went down this road, if its not showing in your device manager and your running a ps with 1 12v rail, its useless, YOU have to to have 2 12V rails putting out NO LESS than 18 AMPS per RAIL. IF this is the problem, quit wasting time, IT's YOUR PSU ...NewEGG.com for the 550 ANTEC sli ready....NUFF Said.....i really am sure on this....POSITIVE.....i spent a month on this...GL bro

4. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 1080

If you are saying you can't run sli with a single rail PS, your really going to sound noobish here. You need to read the PS sticky
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=161496

and this

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_howtobuild_2.html

Dpyro I found something interesting on the nvidia site it says that 6600 series card don't use the sli bridge connector, read this.

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_howtobuild_3.html

Last edited: Jul 22, 2006

5. DPyro

DPyro Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6600 GT
    That's 6600, NOT 6600GT, i got the GT cause it could SLI. They have the tab thingies for SLI and came with a SLI bridge even. I'm trying to find out the problem: cranky mobo, bad software (dont think so), or not enough PSU power?

6. -=l)l)B=-

-=l)l)B=- Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 260
    IM saying what i said........ if its not showing up, its PSU... im not in the debate stuff, dont post much, but im saying (( PSU )) need the dual 18 amps, call ANTEC or ASUS...

in response to bigpipe.............

Last edited: Jul 23, 2006
  7. DPyro

DPyro Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6600 GT
    I got 430W with 26A on the 12V rail specifically because I thought that they would be able to power 2 6600GT's. They aren't anoerexic cards, but they aren't beasts either. If you are certain that this is not enough power for 2x 6600GT to even boot up with a AMD64 939 processor, then I'll get a new PSU (I want to be sure before spending $$)

8. rpg711

rpg711 Guest

oh yeah... then u need a new psu... it has to be ur psu, nothing else
    a athlon64 proccy takes alot of power and watts... get a OCz gamerxtreme and all of ur troubles will go away

9. DPyro

DPyro Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6600 GT
    Is there any PSU I can get for $50 that'll solve these problems?

10. rpg711

rpg711 Guest

uhh... before radioshack had the ultra x-finity psu for 10$... but its gone now... it sells for 99$ so thats a bit off
    get this and dont sell ur psu... its a dedicated psu for graphics... just under 50$

11. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    hmm.... i think that's one of the things they brought out for when the DX10 cards get here.... since the first sets are supposedly heavily power hungry.

and i have to agree with the other guy.... i really don't think it's the power supply. i don't remember EVER reading ANYWHERE that dual-12v rails was required for SLI to work. how the hell would the cards even know if it had dual rails? last i checked you can't really detect the exact specs of your PSU in any manner straight from your PC. don't think power supplies show up in the device manager.

Are you sure there's not also a BIOS setting that may be related to SLI? i've never had one of the boards with the SLI paddle.... so i dunno if it's common or not for them to have a BIOS option too.... but wouldn't hurt to check thoroughly.

and i can't believe that someone actually made a comment about him not having a master and slave video card. i think someone has too much ATi stuck in their head.

12. Rogue`

Rogue` Active Member

GPU:
    Power Colour X1950Pro 256MB
    afaik, u don't overclock the cards individually, u don't need to flash them with the same BIOS either, the secondary card is automatically clocked the same as the master card.

I have a Leadtek 7600GT which I flashed with my own edited BIOS at 590/1600, I then got a BFG 7600GT which at default is 560/1400. If I put the leadtek as the master card, they both run at 590/1600, if I put the BFG as the master they both run at 560/1400.

I do however get 2 display adapters in Device Manager with SLi enabled or disabled.

If your motherboard doesn't have that little card thing on it which u need to turn around to enable SLi, you should have a BIOS option to enable SLi.

13. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    hmm.... forgot to mention the BIOS thing. was another stupid idea to suggest. why the hell would you flash two cards from two different manufacturer's to the same bios from one manufacturer? that's just ridiculous.

14. rpg711

rpg711 Guest

wat do u mean? as long as the memory and core is the same... its 100% safe and possible... trust me... i know, i flashed mine to a x850xt pe bios from sappire... dunno how to spell... it doesnt matter

15. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    yeah.... but it's completely unnecessary.

16. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 1080

Okay, instead of calling people stupid and telling them thier wrong do you have a solution or even a suggestion as to how dpyro can fix this problem. If you do please post it. If you don't and thats all your good for why are you posting at all? Do you understand what a troll is.
    I suggested several things to help, the bios is a long shot, but I suggested it because nothing else helped.

So what should he do to fix it now?

17. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    well.... i did suggest peeking through the BIOS to see if there IS in fact a SLI related setting in there somewhere. It may not necessarily SAY "SLI *insert other stuff here*"... but maybe a setting is keeping the PCI Express slots locked at 16x/1x instead of letting them run at 8x/8x. that's probably more of a longshot than the BIOS issue.... but look at it this way....

for one..... most people don't really know HOW to flash their video card's bios, let alone feel safe doing it..... and even if they feel safe doing it, i also highly doubt they'd feel safe crossflashing it to a different manufacturer's BIOS. i think the only way you HAVE to have the same bios, is if you have two different BIOS files on each card from the same manufacturer. it probably picks up on the idea of it being from two different manufacturers when you try to run different cards in SLI.