SLI problems! Help!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by DPyro, Jul 21, 2006.

1. DPyro

DPyro Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6600 GT
    I recently got back my 6600gt Gigabyte from RMA and decided to hook it up with my 6600gt OC from BFG. I put the two in, changed the SLI selector thingy on my MSI nForce4 board, and put on the SLI bridge. I started up the computer, which worked fine, installed the new drivers from nvidia, and restarted. On boot up, I get a "SLI multi-GPU rendering has been disabled since one of GPU's is missing" popup. I fire up device manager, and only one card is showing! I shutdown the computer, take out the BFG which occupies the primary slot, leaving only the Gigabyte in the secondary slot, and the computer works no problems! Same the other way around... Both cards refuse to show up at once! What's going on? :hit:

2. rpg711

rpg711 Guest

its because of hte clock speeds, overclock them to equal clocks and try again... if that doesnt work then get other drivers

3. DPyro

DPyro Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6600 GT
    I cant access both cards, it shows a generic 6600gt, not even which one.

4. rpg711

rpg711 Guest

thats why u unplug one and remove sli connector... overclock the gigabyte to the bfg clocks and try again.

5. DPyro

DPyro Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6600 GT
    That I tried...I swapped the spots, putting BFG as secondary and Gigabyte as primary..again, both cards will not be recognized at the same time, only the primary or only card...

6. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    do you have the most recent bios installed on your mobo ? cause it should work with 2 diff brands as long as their the same card ... if one's clocked higher than the other, it "should" downclock the higher one ...

7. DPyro

DPyro Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6600 GT
    Well, this is a complete FUBAR. I installled mobo drivers, on restart windows refuses to boot because of a corrupt pci.sys something (pcibus.sys). Lacking the windows XP2 cd that was lost by my sister, and the complete inability of any other OS to work nice with nvraid, im going to have a friend torrent me an SP2 CD, backup what i can, and nuke it all. Here comes Linux and XP x64!

8. DPyro

DPyro Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6600 GT
    Compy back up, shall I go for a BIOS update? Remember they are slightly different models from different manufacturers (6600GT OC and 6600GT)

9. rpg711

rpg711 Guest

i ment u take out the bfg card and overclock the gigabyte card to the bfg clocks using ur favorite overclocking utility

10. DPyro

DPyro Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6600 GT
    Well that doesn't seem to work, its not that I can't enable sli, its that both cards refuse to show up at the same time, I think it could be either a mobo or psu problem.

11. rpg711

rpg711 Guest

i said take out the bfg card!!!
    remove the bfg card wat ever...
    its because the clocks arnt the same... the timings are a bit off because of that

12. DPyro

DPyro Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6600 GT
    Ok, i did, no BFG card, now what?
    Overclocked card to 525/1.05 which is what the BFG runs at.

13. rpg711

rpg711 Guest

are u sure? make sure the timings are the same aswell, then put the bridge back on... then, step by step, check if it works, then enable sli

14. DPyro

DPyro Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6600 GT
    no dice...i have a 420 Antec PSU, could this be the problem?

15. rpg711

rpg711 Guest

how many amps on the +12? if its less then 30 then definatly no dice

16. DPyro

DPyro Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6600 GT
    36A +5v, 26A +12V, 28A +3.3V

17. Monkey5900

Monkey5900 Master Guru

GPU:
    Connect3d X1800XT 256MB @ Stock
    This is not due to speeds lol. You need a master and a slave graphics card. Ensure that you have this before you go any further. Ensure that the chip bridging SLI is connected properly. Check the obvious stuff first, that's what normally catches us out.

18. rpg711

rpg711 Guest

oh yeah... u need a sli ready card and a sli edition card

19. DPyro

DPyro Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6600 GT
    its a 6600GT and a 6600GT OC, both sli-able
    the problem is, they both wont appear on the device manager, though both fans spin up. They can't sli because they both arent being activated by windows. Not enough power, bad mobo, or conked windows install?

20. rpg711

rpg711 Guest

its because of the psu... 26 amps isnt enough to power a amd proccy and two graphics cards and still have enough to power hdd's and other peripherals