6800ultra - FX4000 not working

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by qbod, Jul 15, 2006.

1. qbod

qbod Member

Hi all
    I have a BFG 6800ultra, which under windows i have rivatuned to be a quadro, and i am very happy with that.

However, i need to switch to linux, for my gfx work, and of course rivatuner isn't available. So the only option (without soldering my card) is a bios flash.

I grabbed the dell bios, and applied that, but when rebooting, i get a blank screen. system is responsive, but not booting or displaying anything - so i had to restore my backup bios blind.

I then tried the same test on an older system, and it worked perfectly, reboot and it comes back as a nice quadro. This second computer is an amd

Now comes the point, i heard rumours that there are problems on intel mobos - well as i have a dell precision650 workstation (with an intel chipset) i thought using the dell bios would be suitable. Obviously there is some problem on my system.

i dont know what to do, at this rate i am stuck in windows, or forced to change my system (not tempting) or switch gfx cards (also not tempting)

:(

Anyone else had this?

2. SimpleCAD

SimpleCAD Member

GPU:
    Saphire 2GB HD4870
  3. Romano

Romano Member Guru

GPU:
    9800 GTX
    have no idea...

4. qbod

qbod Member

thanks SimpleCAD
    I tried the stuff on that link, and same result -blank screen on reboot :(

I guess you just cant flashbios my 6800u on an intel dual xeon setup

5. qbod

qbod Member

OK, so i tried flashing the bios for this card, on another machine, an old Athlon box. and every thing worked fine. it came back a full quadro as i expected.

So how to get it working with my dual xeon intel chipset?

6. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    Try flashmoding it to Quadro on the other system, then put it back in the Xeon machine. It should behave like a true Quadro after flashmoding it, so if it doesn't work, you could complain to NVIDIA or Intel that your "new Quadro card is not working"... ;)

7. qbod

qbod Member

Tried that. Same result, system boots with no display. Have you put it back in the AMD machine to get any visuals.

I have spoken to a friend, who also has the same issue, flashing doesn't work on an intel mobo :wanker:

8. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    if you softmod your geforce to a quadro..can you still use it for windows? games?

9. shonofear

shonofear Member

GPU:
    AOpen 6800 ULTRA > Quadro fx
    I hope thats not the case for all INTEL's...

Hi there,
    I also would like to be able to soft mod to Quadro under Linux system if possible.
    But seems it just may not be possible...
    I havent yet got my new system (get it next week) but I plan on gettin a Core Duo E6300.
    Hopefully this bios flash might work on this version of INtel...
    I am willing to give it a try
    OR
    If its possible to soft mod under a Mac os x that would even be nicer (macOsx86 on pc)
    Do they have a mac version of Riva Tuner?

heres a question for you qbod,
    How did you save your BIOS settings?
    Im sorta new to all these hacking harware techniques...
    Could you give us a few pointers/steps in how to do what you did?
    I also have an older AMD setup that i mite try on.

Thanks to everyones help, and hope you can get it working on your XEON.

cheers

From what Ive heard, YES you can, you might get a maximum 5% decrease in performances with OPEN GL games (from others benchmarks).

But who cares, you get a MASSIVE INCREASE in 3D apps. :banana:

c yas

10. qbod

qbod Member