Mediocre FPS in BF2 with a 6800?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by KreuZ, Jul 16, 2006.

1. waynepe

waynepe New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Gtx 560 2Gig
    I Cant find the specs on the ASUS 6800 512 meg on the ASUS website. I would just like to give my 50 cents worth on the topic. I have a Biostar 512 meg 6800 xt card. The standard specs are 512 meg DDR2 @700mhz 256 bit, core runs at 325mhz, pipes are 8x4. My card runs at 790mhz memory 390mhz core and 16x6 pipes unlocked with rivatuner using standard cooling. I play Farcry with all settings at max with no slowdowns. It benchmarks 5250 with 3dmark 05 with a xp 3000+ with 512 meg DDR on a nforce 2 mobo with 91.33 drivers. The card cost me $159.00 well worth it. I used to be a ATI fan but not anymore after the 9600xt/9800xt series cards they broke out of the box never being overclocked. My next card is the 7900 series as soon as i get a pcix mobo.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  2. micketh

micketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070 8GB
    6800NU 512mb DDR2 Specs
    Pixel Pipelines 12
    Core Clock 325mhz
    Memory clock 540mhz DDR2
    Memory Bus 128bit DDR2

3. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    ok.....

see im getting 4800 on 3dmark05...once i do voltmod i will get 5000+
    i know ddr2 hurts performance lots!!! because i have it :p

the 7600gt gets 7000 overlcocked!!!

but that 6800 ddr2 is pretty much a waste of money i believe!

mabye not a couple of months ago but nowdays its a pretty bad card for the price

4. DrFreeze

DrFreeze Guest

GPU:
    MSI GT740 2GB
    micketh, sorry dude, i thought your first post "are you on crack..." was aimed at me, i just saw rpgs post right above mine saying 6800s are slow

and if he thinks 6800s suck he can take the matter up with my GTs, once i get some decent cooling on these bad boys

once again, sorry mick, i totally misinterpreted your post, but maybe next time you should quote at least part of the message you are responding too, since you didnt i assumed it was aimed at the last post before yours, being mine

5. CTman

CTman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6800 V9999
    Good day,

Here are the specs of the Asus crippled geforce 6800 with slow 512 MB 128bit memory:
    http://www.asus.de/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=992&l1=2&l2=7&l3=3

[​IMG]

By the way, Micketh is right about the slow performance of the Asus N6800/TD/512M with its 128 bit memory which is clocked at 540 mhz. Even the geforce 6800xt or le with 8 pipelines has 256 bit memory which is clocked at 700 mhz.

The non-reference 6800xt from XFX has even 256bit 1000 Mhz ddr3 memory onboard!!!!!
    http://www.xfxforce.com/web/product/listConfigurationDetails.jspa?productConfigurationId=268341

[​IMG]

6. Cadoam

Cadoam Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 6520g & HD 6650m
    Actally, I play all my games with AA.. except oblivion because you can't have HDR and AA both at the same time (With my card), but I get smooth framerates in ALL games. See but the X800 series of cards are just 9800XT's with more Pixelpipelines and higher clocks.. The 6800's are totally redone and have shader module 3.0.. and before any thing else. The 6800's are 2 years old yes, but theres no way you can have "Crap" or "bad" or any other word in the same sentance that's bad mouthing it. See the downside is you can'y play AOEIII highest shading, which uses pixel shader 3.0, you can play BFME II with high quality water on because it uses pixel shader 3.0, or use HDR in oblivion, Please think of the up's and down's of something before you say something that would cause many posts and lectures. I'm not saying the X800's suck, I'm just saying that the 6800's had newer technology and thats why I bought one.

PS. If you get that power supply you posted, good because it's good :), antec's are very good power supply's.

7. rpg711

rpg711 Guest

well, im still saying my x800gto will beat any 6800...

8. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    So? Dude, who gives a crap?
    You've been advertising around the forums how incredible your gto is. We. Don't. Care.
    It's just plain annoying.
    As for the thread creator. As said your card is limited because of the extremely low memory bandwith. If you stay on low-res and low/medium textures you should be fine.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2006
  9. OvR|<|LL

OvR|<|LL Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia

Any, Huh? Check this link out and stop bashing the guys card.Seems like your card is missing shader 3, the 6 series isnt. Your card will not wax "ANY" 6800, and thats a fact.
    http://www.pcstats.com/ArtVNL.cfm?articleid=1928&page=3

10. DrFreeze

DrFreeze Guest

GPU:
    MSI GT740 2GB
    wasnt gonna bring sm3.0 up myself, but since its out there, yeah have fun playing Halflife, far cry and oblivion with HDR, oh wait.......

RPG, sodd off with the ati propaganda, this is the nvidia section, if you arent gonna contribute something usefull to the discussion (and saying 6800s suck isnt usefull) then just go back to the ati section and show off your card there, maybe they care, although i doubt it

11. KreuZ

KreuZ Member

GPU:
    ASUS 6800 512MB GDDR2
    So is there anyway I can kick my fps up in bf2 by around 10 frames without spending $? Would hacked drivers help? And if so which should I download?

12. DrFreeze

DrFreeze Guest

GPU:
    MSI GT740 2GB
    you could just try and lower some settings, i can understand why you have textures high (hey, you have enough ram to fit it in right?) but all that texture data needs to be transported from the ram to the GPU too, through the memorybus, which is were your bottleneck lies

so i suggest bumping textures down to medium, and you could try to OC your memory, DDR2 should OC nicely, you might want to pick up a few ramsinks though

13. KreuZ

KreuZ Member

GPU:
    ASUS 6800 512MB GDDR2
    Do you thinking flashing my BIOS and updating my mobo would help? I haven't updated that since I bought my PC haha.

14. S_Kinton

S_Kinton Ancient Guru

GPU:
    512mb 8800GT & 22" Samsung LCD
    No, flashing the BIOS wount help you on this one. Theres no need to keep vga card BIOS' upto date after youve bought them unless you have a major issue.

15. P_Falcon

P_Falcon Member

GPU:
    PNY 6800 GS 256mb AGP

----------------------------------------------------------------------

How did you "discover that your PSU is your problem..."? (I don't think it is)

Why would you need 25A on the 12V rail for a 6800 based system??? (18V should be fine... and I've run on less than that)

Why is it that the answer to seemingly every system performance post on this board seems to be to buy a new PSU? I have seen very few low FPS problems actually helped or solved by this approach. Generally, when you are having power issues, you are going to have an unstable system. Low FPS is much more commonly solved by configuring your system properly, and having powerful (fast) enough components.

As far as this post goes, I'd say your FPS is about right for your crippled (DDR2) 6800. Why would you spend $$$ on a new PSU to try to solve a problem caused by a relatively weak GPU???

I sometimes wonder if Guru3D forums was created by PSU manufacturers so they could post endless replies of "buy a new power supply!" to all questions and problems...

I'm not necessarily saying that you shouldn't buy a new PSU, as that 250W may well be borderline for you. But don't expect a new PSU to improve your FPS in BF2!

-PF

ps - as far as your primary question goes, of course you should write down the numbers from the PSU's you are considering... If you don't pay attention to the numbers, how are you going to ensure that the new PSU is any more capable than the one it is replacing?...

16. Scief

Scief Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 6800GT @Ultra
    P_Falcon, many users talk about PSUs because he is going to buy one. True, it won't most likely help him with his fps, but because he was going to buy one, people want help him. He has a Dell PSU, they say it's 250W but I've seen people running a 6800GT with a Dell 250W PSU, some of them (or all) aren't 250W, they are much better.

However, he's going to need a new PSU someday. And don't even imagine a new rig with that PSU, I think it's too risky. I suggest that no one should get a 18A (that's what you meant, right? You said 18V). 18A is fine for his rig, but it's not future proof. PSUs don't get old that quickly, if he buys one now he can use it in a new rig (that's of course if he decides to buy one someday).

I had this rig runnnig fine on a no-name 350W PSU that had 15A on the +12V line, because it was no-name I doubt it even had 15A as they claimed. Anyway, I messed around with Direct X files, got constant BSODs and formated my HDD. After that my games didn't run playable at any settings, something was wrong with my CPU. I asked about it here on Guru3D, and they all agreed it was my PSU. Well, I believed them, but I knew that I had to buy a new PSU for my new rig when I upgrade, so I figured that I could buy it now, the prices won't change much. + I had problems with that no-name PSUs fan. Well, it didn't fix it, but I got the solution from a Finnish PC-guru, oh I wish he was a member here, he could help so many...
    So now I have a PSU that is definately going to power my next rig, maybe the one after that too.

And KreuZ, as many have said, your friends propably thought you had a 6800GT or then they didn't realise that your card's ram is much slower than normal 6800nu's. I think your performance is ok for that rig.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
  17. P_Falcon

P_Falcon Member

GPU:
    PNY 6800 GS 256mb AGP
    Scief, The OP posted that he was getting a new PSU specifically to improve the mediocre performance he was getting while playing BF2. I wanted to stress that a new PSU, no matter how capable, was not going to help him, as his existing PSU was seemingly powering his 6800 just fine (no mention of system instability, etc.).

I am not arguing against the eventual need to upgrade the PSU. As graphics cards and CPU's become more and more power hungry, and we continue to add various drives and other components, we will all need more powerful power supplies. I will certainly be getting a new one the next time I upgrade/build a new system.

I just get a bit frustrated when the answer to every problem in these forums seems to be to spend significant $$$ and buy a new PSU. I have had many PC problems over the years, yet very very few have been solved by replacing the PSU. Certainly when I am getting less than desired FPS in a game, my 1st thought has never been "I better get a new PSU pumping out some more amps on that 12V line!".

If the OP feels the need/desire to buy a new power supply pumping out 25A right now, simply because he might need that power in the future, then I say go for it! I just didn't get that impression from the original post that his motivation for buying the PSU was to "future proof" his computer. Sounded more like he received some bad advice that his 6800 requires more power, and will run faster if he buys a new/expensive PSU...

-PF

18. FaM

FaM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2GB GTX 560
    My apologies for the direction ati has caused this thread to go, but,
    search for a bf2 tweak guide in yahoo\google and you can find out some great tweaks to settings that does not particularly effect visuals.

19. no, they don't care over there either.......

20. OvR|<|LL

OvR|<|LL Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia

LOL:)