E6400 overclock limit

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Warwick, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Warwick

Warwick Master Guru

GPU:
    2*Leadtek PX6600gt tdh in SLI 560/1
    Has anyone seen someone o/c a E6400. I'm interested in what the max o/c on air that has been achieved on these.

2. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    i dont know anyone with a conroe, but from the reviews i understand that motherboards have a limit at 400fsb, and that most procs reach that fsb easily, and are not maxxed out on core frequency.
    now the e6400 has a multi of 9 iirc, so that would make it 3.6.

3. Warwick

Warwick Master Guru

GPU:
    the e6400 has a multi of 8

I have seen the intel 975 bad axe at 500fsb. This would give a theoretical max of 4.0gb.

Just wondering if it would go as far as the e6600 (4.0gb on air) or if it is a diff core as it only has 2mb l2 cache for both cores.

4. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    im pretty sure it will do 4.0. xbit had an e6300 for review, and that did 3.6 on stock voltage, they hit an fsb wall at 420.

5. Warwick

Warwick Master Guru

GPU:
    I'm a bit lost there. The e6300 has a multi of 7. 3600/7=514fsb or have I missed somthing?

Like I did with my 146 opty I want to get the cheapest conroe to reach the max o/c. If the battle axe can get a fsb of 500 then the multi of 8 will be great so long as the e6400 does reach 4.gb on average.

How much of a performance hit do you think the drop in L2 cache of 4mb to 2mb (compared to the e6600)would have in real apps?

PS: I admire your P M's times in the SPI 1M thread

6. Not sure how the 6400 will clock, but my E6700 will do 3.8Ghz stable 10x380

7. Warwick

Warwick Master Guru

GPU:
    Thanx for the reply.

was that at stock vcore? On air cooling? What M/b did u choose?

8. Not not a stock voltage, it's on water cooling and the mobo I'm using is the Intel 975XBX

9. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    oops, you are right off course, i must have mixed up 2 reviews. the fsb limit was at 420, so cpu at 2.9 at stock. my bad.

thanks for the compliments about superpi. these dothans are killer cpus for that bench, but its about to be eclipsed by conroe now.

10. Warwick

Warwick Master Guru

GPU:
    Have you tried dropping the multi and pushing the fsb to its max by any chance.

Would you mind dropping it to 8 and seeing what u get up to?

11. Warwick

Warwick Master Guru

GPU:
    That's good in a way. I thought my maths was stuffed or my knowledge base on the conroe very very small.

I've been a fan of the the "old PIII" structure for ages. Recently put together a 1.4 PIII tualatin system and o/c to 1.6gb just for the historic value. Can play c/s source on it at reasonable fps.

Good to see intel has finally admitted P4 sux and was a mistake in engineering choice, and revisted the mighty power of the all conquering PIII, lol.

12. I haven't tried that yet. I'm not too sure about the FSB limit though. I've seen people with a 6700 at over 4.5Ghz......

13. Don_Won

Don_Won Master Guru

GPU:
    evga GeForce 8800GTX (650/2100)
    That's why I don't want to buy conroe now. I'll wait until some decent motherboards from asus or dfi come out.

14. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    DFI has a beauty of a motherboard coming, nForce 590 SLI with DFI quality. That sucker should really show off the power of those Conroe's if DFI lives up to their reputation and the 5xx IE's aren't crappy.

As for 4MB v 2MB: not much difference but SuperPI isn't the only application in the world, after all what do the most of us on these forums do with our machines? Play games, and only time will tell if there's any difference between 2 and 4 but the most important thing is the multiplier of these CPU's and the 6600 has a multi of 9. So at 400FSB the difference between a CPU with a multiplier of 8 and 9 is... 400MHz, but the new motheboards have a max FSB of 500 I believe so the difference is even bigger. Unles........................................... the 6400's clock better than the 6600's, something I doubt but time will tell that one as well but I just hope the increase in transistors only helps in the OC rather than hamper.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2006
  15. I plan to get the 6600 and set it at a nice 24/7 OC of 3.6 ghz. But not till way down the road.

Also keep in mind as of now the conroes you all know are enginering samples wich are hand picked best of the best. When the big shipments come in for the commoners they may not reach quite the same clocks so easily.

16. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    Not the revision 5's. I read the revision 4's are ES but the 5's are release products. I think it was on Xbit or Anandtech.