HELP - The final part.... (hopefully)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by mattyoakman, Jul 13, 2006.

1. mattyoakman

mattyoakman Member

GPU:
    PNY 6600gt 128mb
    Good morning

well i think i may have struck gold with my blue screen of death last night...

I took one of the sticks of ram out (that i was swapping about between 2 machines before all the bsod problems started occuring) and started windows and it run fine.... done the type of thing that usually presented me with the bsod and it worked fine....

could i of done something to the ram when taking it out and swapping machines??? even though my pc still boots up fine with it in !!!

2. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Yes you may have damaged a connector or something. Try cleaning the gold connectors on the ram to see if it works again, and check the ram slots for dust. Failing that the stick has probably gone bad.

BTW, you totally posted in the wrong section, should have been in general hardware as this has nothing at all to do with video cards, let alone ATI video cards...........

3. mattyoakman

mattyoakman Member

GPU:
    PNY 6600gt 128mb
    this problem only started when i was installing a X1600 ati graphics card... and as i posted all the other problems related to installing this card and the effects it had on my computer i decided to post the final part of the problem (well hopefully) in here too

4. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    A "bad" stick of ram can behave differently in different situations... Different slots, different systems, settings, timings, etc... There are a lot of factors that can cause BSOD related to ram.

Most likely you didn't damage the ram by physically handling it - though it is possible. A visual inspection should be good enough to determine if something broke. If all looks normal - most likely the "problem" has existed for a while and you are now just finding it from moving the ram around, and by installing different devices into your system.

If that "bad" stick of ram causes BSOD in any slot consistently then I'd stop using it. But if you can move it to a different slot and it works, well, there you go...

5. SHAUN707

SHAUN707 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X1600PRO 256 MB
    might be the X1600 becuase i had some problems but not blue screen of " death " what you call it. aha! but yeah might be ram also i got 2 new 512 sticks and put them in the first day i got 'em and went to black screen of "death" i suppose................ but yeah..!

SHAUN707 :]

6. DGordon

DGordon Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 3850 512mb
    it might just be incompatability between the 2 pieces of memory or 1 stick and the memory in the gfx card. i used to get the blue screen when i had 3 gigs and when i took one out ran fine and the other gig ran fine in my other comp.

7. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Like I said, Welcome to windows.=]

8. mattyoakman

mattyoakman Member

GPU:
    PNY 6600gt 128mb
    its time to give up and build a new pc !!!

last night my friend came round, put his graphics card in (nvidia 5950) and his stick of ram (1gb crucial), installed drivers correctly and then played far cry !!! bsod appeared within 5 minutes with the same message about memory dump !!!

so i am guessing its not a memory or graphics card fault...... so its either motherboard, cpu or hard drive !!!

a couple of months without gaming whilst i save to get a new motherboard cpu and hd will do the job !!!

thanks for all your help but its time to admit defeat