video card not throttling correctly, 2D/3D mode mixed up

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by dalewb, Jul 9, 2006.

1. dalewb

dalewb New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD R9 290X
    I have to assume this is an issue of user error, but I can't get Riva Tuner to memorize the overclocked settings I input for 2D, 3D, and 3D perf modes. It seems to memorize the core clock freq just fine for each mode, but the memory freq keeps getting set for all three modes whenever I change it in one of the modes. Honestly, the only time I really want to o/c the card is in 3D perf mode. But when I try to overclock the memory in that mode, it gets set for 2D mode as well.

Secondly, the card is not throttling down when I close down the game I'm playing. It stays overclocked. I've double checked to make sure that 2D mode is set at 300Mhz, but right now the card is running at 585Mhz - the freq I've set for 3D perf mode. This is a new problem, actually the first real issue I've had with Riva Tuner so far (been using it for a month or so now).

I am using forceware v91.31 on a Geforce 6600GT

2. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    All your answers can be found in the Rivatuner folder\docs\readme.htm.

3. dalewb

dalewb New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD R9 290X
    I've already read that document, but I must have missed the information I needed. I'll go back and check again. Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  4. Pyranha

Pyranha New Member

GPU:
    PNY 6800GT
    Follow this great guide

http://userweb.suscom.net/~msl/RivaTuner%20-clock%20speeds.htm

Near the end, you can skip the section that says

----------------------
    This is the place where we tell Rivatuner that once we launch into 3D mode we want the memory clock to go up. Since my 2D memory clock speed is 900, I set a value of 910. Change the color here for the grid display also. Set up the rest of the info as shown.

What this says is "Launch ITEM on upward threshold crossing" of 910 MHz (i.e. Clock high 3D) and "Launch ITEM on downward threshold crossing" of 910º MHz (i.e. Clock low 2D).
    ----------------------

It's unneeded. One threshold variable (core speed) is all that is needed to change between clocking profiles.

:)

edit: Its written by Boogieman.. And boogie, did you get the pm I sent you month ago about the issue above ;)

5. dalewb

dalewb New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD R9 290X
    Oh great - thanks. But even when using RivaTuner in the past, the throttling used to happen automatically - it's never been stuck before. I believe Unwinder has said that the throttling is controlled by the video card bios itself and is not controlled at any level by RivaTuner, or the drivers, or any other hardware controlling software.

Regardless, I'll go check out that link you mentioned.
    One quote from that website states:

Q:I'm having problems with applying overclocking at Windows startup on my GeForce FX with both Coolbits and RivaTuner. Core clock stays overclocked but memory clock resets to defaults as soon as I reboot the system. Can you help me?
    A: Yes, it is a known issue and it is caused by incorrect startup overclocking settings you've made. Actually, only NV30 based boards provide separate core and memory clocks for different performance levels. The rest NV3x boards provide separate core clock frequency control, but unified memory clock frequency control. It means that the driver don't control memory clock frequency independently for each performance level, so when you change it for a certain performance level it is also affects the rest performance levels. However, the driver's control panel itself and all driver-level overclocking tools allow you to specify independent core and memory clocks for different performance levels even for boards with unified memory clock (e.g. 300MHz/900MHz for standard 2D mode and 300MHz/1000MHz for performance 3D mode). Such settings will always cause interference and the actual memory clock will be set to the value, corresponding to the memory clock for the last programmed performance level. Control panels startup daemon routine programs performance 3D clocks first, then standard 2D clocks. So either startup memory clock for standard 2D mode or default memory clock for this mode will be actually set. To avoid the problem, simply ensure that you've specified the same startup memory clocks for all performance levels. Starting from version RC15, RivaTuner includes special memory clock frequency reset protection wizard, allowing to detect and fix such incorrect startup settings automatically.

This guy's website was awesome - helped a lot. I had already been there for a walk through on setting up fan speeds. I didn't realize he had an article on how to set up vid card throttling. I guess that is controllable through RivaTuner after all.

6. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Yes I did get it and I typed back a long reply (don't recall what I said anymore) but for some reason the reply flipped out and didn't go and I was too tired to do it again. :frown:

As I recall you had some good points too. I need to review it again and make some adjustments to the guide.

Keep in mind the guide was mainly intended to "wet" people's appetites to show what RT has to offer and it's nice to see guys like you who actually think through what they're doing with the program and not blindly following the guide. :)

I think that's Unwinders philosophy too.

Thanks