Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800GS+ Questions

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Darren Hodgson, Jun 25, 2006.

1. DeMarki

DeMarki Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 570 SoC 1280

O RLY?

....just kidding! Welcome to Guru3D!!!! :mhp:

2. nitroin

nitroin Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1024GDDR4

wuhauhauh..thnx

p.s [you know that i dunno what O RLY means? xDDD LOL]

so...don't u know if the GDDR3 are 1,4ns?

3. DeMarki

DeMarki Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 570 SoC 1280
    O RLY? means Oh Really? :)

By the way no dude, I'm sorry but I'm not sure how may ns the memory is, and why would I care anyway? I already bought the card! :)

4. nitroin

nitroin Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1024GDDR4
    me too..but I wanted to know where the limits of the cards are!

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The memory on the Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ is 1.4ns which is why it will overclock to 700MHz (1400MHz effective) easily... 1000/1.4 = 714 you see.

6. SolarisXD

SolarisXD Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GT 512mb
    Actually it's 1.2ns like the 7900gt's. Once someone finds out how to do a memory volt mod it should be capable of 800mhz +.

7. czuk

czuk Member

GPU:
    Gainward Geforce GTX260

Well,
    actually it is 1.2ns AND 1.4ns.

The elder ones have 1.2ns the newer ones 1.4ns. They do clock in the same manner, so it makes absolutely no difference if you have a 1.2ns or 1.4ns card.
    Most of the cards reach 1500Mhz mem clock frequency. You won't reach 1600Mhz even with 1.2ns rams on the GS+ PCB as it does limit higher frequencies by, say, bad layout.

However that's not a big issue, as GPU clocks are far more important than mem clocks. And for GPU clocks, there are Vmods available.

8. nitroin

nitroin Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1024GDDR4
    oh...good...can you give me the link of the Vmods discussion plz? :)

9. SolarisXD

SolarisXD Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GT 512mb
    I thought there was a limited number made, if so how can there be newer models?

10. JeffDC

JeffDC Member

GPU:
    Gainward 7800GS+ 512MB
    With all due respect to czuk I believe he's wrong about this. I've sent three emails to Gainward's technical support and marketing people and they've all responded with the exact same information:

The GS+ is a SINGLE PRODUCTION RUN, and ALL OF THESE CARDS USE 1.2ns MEMORY.

I suppose it's possible Gainward don't know the details of their own products. But far more likely, some modders/reviewers/etc are confusing the 7800GS (and/or 7900GT) with the GS+ in their claims. If someone could show us a photo which positively identifies a GS+ with 1.4ns memory I'd love to see it. So far I haven't seen a single one.

11. Luvabud

Luvabud Guest

GPU:
    1060 6GB
    the Gainward 7800 GS+ have samsung 1.2ns memory, I have taken the heatsink off and had a look my self, it's the older 7800 GS which have the 1.4ns memory
    due to some reason either tight timings or not enough power which I don't think, the memory on the GS+ do not reach the specified speed of 1600MHz

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  12. Rhino.Software

Rhino.Software Member

choices:D

i am new to this forum and i can say after buying a gs+ from dabs for £240inc postage this week i can understand darrens point of veiw towards agp over pci-e.

upto last wek i had a 1 1/2 old gainward 6800/2400 ultra but its bios fried so tech support reckon and looked around on ebay for replacement one and found them around 130-180...but seen the one off limited edition on dabs and grabbed it as i thought why get the same as before when i could get a card nearly 3 timeas as better with all new bells and whistles:) .

i understand about teh pci-e upgrading thing going on but my system is used mainly for storage and occasionally game but i want them good at same time.

£240 gs+ was cheaper option than upgrading cpu and motherboard and new card and i wasnt planning to upgrade as i did 3 year ago and have been doing so since in small peices bit bit by bit...only question i have is power requirements ??

my system is p4 3.0 with 2gb 3200 cas 2.5 and 11 hardrives + dvd-r (server case...holds 14) i have enermax trupower 660w and it worked with the ultra so was wondering if it okay with the gs+ as i heard it has lower power requirements??.

but darren right some of use dont need to keep upgrading every time something new comes out every month :D as long as it plays the games at the speed we feel happy with and looks okay im happy...bit like a car i suppose .....

my system
    ==========
    P4 3.0E >>water cooled with zalman reserator
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
    2GB DDR in duel pairs 2.5ns (3200)
    yeong yang atx black cube server case
    Enermax EG851AX-VH 660W ATX PSU dual sli capable
    untill its bios blew :( ..Gainward GeForce 6800GT 256MB GS GDDR3 AGP "Ultra/2400 Golden Sample"
    2 x 19" hyundai ImageQuest L90D+ (Digital) tft displays
    1 x Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-111-D
    1 x Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-107
    Logitec Mouseman Optical Dual Sensor Mouse
    ------------------
    6 x 300gb
    2 x 250gb
    3 x 120gb

4 x 120mm fans
    3 x 80mm fans and
    6 x uv lights..

only a thought as my 500w blew last aug and replaced with 660w trupower....will it be enough??

P.s i love this forum ..one of best iv been on as of late...lots of good advice and info...keep up good work.
    am one of few to join an army of talented peaple...power to the user:bunch:

oh and its still avail for £240 with free delivery at dabs at the min...so if interested grab while you can:D

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  13. JeffDC

JeffDC Member

GPU:
    Gainward 7800GS+ 512MB
    I just saw it yesterday over at OcUK for £219.95.
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Nvidia_AGP_Graphics_Cards.html

Not free delivery though, so final cost would be about the same.

Your 660W power supply should be fine.

14. Rhino.Software

Rhino.Software Member

I just saw it yesterday over at OcUK for £219.95.
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...ics_Cards.html

Not free delivery though, so final cost would be about the same.

Your 660W power supply should be fine.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

sorry m8 your confused.....

you have wrong card listed..... your link is for Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS SILENT 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-030-GW) at
    Price: £219.95 (£258.44 Including VAT at 17.5%)

the card we are talking about is
    Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ SILENT 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-032-GW)
    and that web site says
    Price: £239.95 (£281.94 Including VAT at 17.5%)

yours has 20 pipeline GeForce™ 7800 GT GPU running at 425MHz the one we are talkking about is has 24 pipline GeForce™ 7900 GT GPU running at 450MHz+

and dabs have it for £240 inc del and vat :D sweet

15. JeffDC

JeffDC Member

GPU:
    Gainward 7800GS+ 512MB
    Rhino, maybe your browser cache needs to be refreshed?

Both the 7800GS *and* 7800GS+ are 219.95 at OcUK:

"Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ SILENT 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-032-GW)"

"Available This Week Only for just £219.95 +VAT."

16. doublee

doublee Guest

GPU:
    GTX 690 with 100/100/500
    If you want to get some real performance you could replace the CPU with a PM730 or PM740 fitted with a Asus Ct-479 adapter.
    Already at stock speed and with the stock hsf you run circles around the P4...
    The performance gain is stunning and leaves you with a smile on the face....
    So there is still some juice left for the oldies out there...

The PM749 + a CT should cost about 260 euros.
    However running it over 2.5 would suggest an other cooler, the easiest one to fit with excellent cooling is the Zalman 7000B AlCu for some 30 more euros.

A rig with PM740 + CT + Zalman is in par with or better than a fx-57 in gaming performance.

Just a tip....

17. JeffDC

JeffDC Member

GPU:
    Gainward 7800GS+ 512MB
    I beg to differ with those claims. Using that adapter he'd lose 800MHz FSB right off the bat, and my 3.6GHz P4 (on an IC7-G) easily outbenches an FX-57, e.g. http://www.mindspring.com/~rigel11/IC7-G.jpg.

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    wow!!!! are those benchmarks fun? More fun than games?

Benchmark results are pointless, it's the real world performance that matters, and there a FX-57 will kill your intel cpu...

19. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    though i dont agree entirely on ur statement

i do agree that the FX-57 would smoke the intel in games, even benchmarks

20. Segestria

Segestria New Member

GPU:
    Gainward Bliss 7800GS+ AGP 512MB
    Bliss 7800GS+ AGP (golden sample)problem

Athlon XP+ 3200, Epox EP-8RDA Pro, twin SATA 1 seagate HDD, Samsung DVD writer, floppy, 1GB DDR200 dual-channel mode, Zalman ZM400B-APS 400 watt PSU, Medion LCD 1280x1024, XP Pro.

Replaced Silent 6800 128MB with the Bliss AGP "special edition" 512MB, etc etc, believed to be actually a 7900 converted to AGP.

Now system boots and mobo reports via post code display all well and initiating windows...but the screen then goes blank. I've followed the Gainward advice about removing and installing exactly, so have not yet installed any drivers, going to do that after booting into VGA as recommended.

Thought the PSU might just be borderline, but then had an idea.

Kicked in Knoppix 5.01 DVD and rebooted...lo and behold Linux came up smiling !
    Card was not recognised but Knoppix bravely kicked in an Nvidia driver which seems to work fine.

Suggestions neede to get this card going please. I am not really bothered about upgrading the rest of the system just yet, I merely wanted to get better performance on Oblivion, which is reasonable with the 6800, but could be better in some parts of the game. I'm also quite satisfied with my mobo, since it can run 6 SATA drives if need be and provide a really first-class RAID setup which I intend to implement soon now that drived prices have plummeted.

Thanks for all constructive suggestions.

By the way I have built a system for silence, and want to keep it that way; the Bliss card is pretty good in that respect. I hate droning components.

PROBLEM SOLVED BY:
    Removing bliss, refitting GE6800, uninstaling all Nvidia display drivers and Riva Tuner,running Driver clean, shutting down and refitting Bliss card.
    Booting up into VGA mode via F8 key, no problem ! Insert Bliss CD installed drivers and Blingo ! All is well.
    Sorry to have troubled folks...the instructions that came with the 7800GS were WRONG ! I thought that but just followed them to avoid potential problems with an expensive toy. Just shows how one's best judgement can be swayed by a natty printed booklet supplied with the product. which showed a power connector with only one molex instead of the twin molex actually supplied, also showed different S-video connector to the one supplied, which has 5 ways: Black male 7 pinto PC then Red, Yelow, Green, blue and Yellow plus Black female (4 pin?) outputs. Is this by chance a VIVO setup, or just VI ?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006