Black video in WMP

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Sfolivier, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Sfolivier

Sfolivier Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire X1950XT 256mb (672/972)
    A friend of mine recently built a computer (X2 3800+, 7800GT, XP sp2) which is connected to a very nice 1080p Sony 50'' XBR. After much tweaking we managed to get the overscan / resolution to something pretty nice using a DVI->HDMI connection at roughly 720p. He is using the nvidia beta drivers (forgot the number, they are the ones with the new control panel).

Yesterday we started to look at HD content and the only thing I could get in WMP10 was a black box (the sound plays fine). No request for codec, it's as if the overlay isn't working. I installed WMP11 and purevideo, nothing changed. DVD plays fine but I can't get WMV-HD files to play.

Any idea? The new control panel tells us that overlay is deactivated but the old one tells us that it's fine.

2. FaM

FaM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2GB GTX 560
    Make sure its set to the primary display and there is nothing else connected to it. For some reason even on dual head cards with tv out, video will only play on one of the connections at a time. I know you have a dvi to hdmi, which baffles me if it is the only connector. My advice would be to play with the tv out settings and primary secondary settings even though it is on the dvi.

3. Sfolivier

Sfolivier Master Guru

GPU:
    Actually for resolution debugging purpose, the TV is also connected to the PC using a DVI to VGA connector. Now that the config is done, there no need to keep it but I believe it's still plugged.

I'll check and will post, thanks!

4. armhunter

armhunter Master Guru

GPU:
    x2 EVGA 7800GTX 256 ACS³ SLI
    I am having the same problem.
    I was using a 21" CRT and just bought a new 27 inch widescreen hdtv..
    everything looks great and works fine.. only problem.. I can no longer see the wmv videos on my screen...

I have tried everything that I can think of and I am still working on it...

5. Sfolivier

Sfolivier Master Guru

GPU:
    I haven't had a chance to check the dual display fix yet. It probably won't happen for at least another week.

6. armhunter

armhunter Master Guru

GPU:
    I have tried everything.. I did notice this.. You can get them to play if you turn off your video hardware acceleration.. Slide it down until the Direct X drivers are turned off...
    Right then, all my videos could play..

So then I tried this...
    I uninstalled Direct X down to 8.1...
    Then reinstalled to the latest 9.0c...
    Still did not help..

I can not see any WMV movies now that I got a new LCD monitor..

I have also made sure that I have the LCD set as primary and this did not work..

7. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    You can change to the legacy renderer in Windows Media Player. Under options-performance-advanced-... Then have a play with the "Video acceleration", "High Quality Mode", "YUV flipping", "RGB flipping" and "Primary Surfaces".
    This fixed a problem like this which I was having.

8. armhunter

armhunter Master Guru

GPU:
    I did try this.. While playing a video I changed these settings.. Saw the video come on for about 2 seconds and then I could not see it anymore..
    I really tried everything I could think of.... even changing the settings and rebooting...

9. Sfolivier

Sfolivier Master Guru

GPU:
    Having only one primary display worked for me. The video is fine now with just an HDTV on a DVI-HDMI cable.