DAoC

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Masterwolf, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Masterwolf

Masterwolf New Member

Hello Great site from what I have seen so far.

I am an ex Comp Tech. On disability and the meds mess with my head so I have forgotten allot of what I knew, though some days I remember allot lol.

I am having difficulties finding a good card for DAoC.
    This game not only hates Radeon, but despises them.
    So I got a e-Gforce 6200 AGP 256mb to replace my ATI 9800 AGP 128mb. There was still allot of lag in certian parts of the RvR. I tried the new driver NVIDIA just put out for this card and that was a joke. I uninstalled it and reinstalled the drivers that came with it. I have a cap of $200 for a new Card. I am also watching for beta on LOTR OL and Heros Journey, so I would like a card that will cover me for new games for a while anyway. Any suggestions?

2. bender78

bender78 Member Guru

GPU:
    Club3D Radeon HD3850 256MB
    with 200$ and AGP, i'd shoot for an nvidia 6800GS/GT. but thats just my opinion.
    if you want something really futureproof, go get a pcie mobo.

or save up some more money get a 7800GS (AGP, but relatively expensive).

welcome to the forum btw :)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2006
  3. Masterwolf

Masterwolf New Member

Thank you. This is a temp card and will be on back up comp. In Aug getting a whole new machine with near best Vid card, but that helps allot thank you.

4. Cadoam

Cadoam Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 6520g & HD 6650m
    Welcome to the Guru 3d forums! Well anyway, if you can purchase things through newegg, here's a few good cards I found and should work great:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150157

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814122206

The top one is faster, but the bottom one is still miles faster then a 6200, and 9800. I would get the top. But if you can find a 6800GS on any site that is cheap, then get it. It'll be faster then these two, but the 6600GT is only like $120.

5. Terwin

Terwin Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA PCIe 7800GTXKO 540/1305 SLI G7
    DAoC is ram hungry. People always mis-diagnose the problem as the video card and not ram. The 6200 shouldn't do bad. My suggestion is pick up some ram at newegg.com. What is your current amount of ram? DAoC 1GB ram minimum and 2GB prefered. I'm a DAoC focus tester type, and am used to diagnosing this issue. DAoC clipping plane and RvR spikes are all texture caching to ram issues regardless of video card type. More ram = less client hitting drive cache.

Is the 6200 an EVGA card? I'd suggest taking advantage of the step-up program to 6600GT or 7600GT on it.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2006
  6. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    wellcome to the forums.

if u can post yer sistem specs, we can hep u decide more efficiently a video card for u, but i do have to agree, blindfolded, that a 6800gs for a $200 is a very good choice, i personally (as u can see in my specs) have a 7800gs agp card, and with my sistem it does give me a bottleneck, but i do have to say that im pleased with the performance i have, since i dont play that much high end games like graw, oblivion, etc etc. just games like GuildWars, BF2, CSS etc etc. and it is true that a 7900gs is a bit overpriced.

6800gs= good overall gaming for agp

7800gs= good overall gaming for agp + extra features like ssaa and gamacorrect aa.

but like i said for a $200 budget go for the 6800gs FTW (bang for the buck).

regards.

7. Terwin

Terwin Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA PCIe 7800GTXKO 540/1305 SLI G7
    Just a reminder, if you are under 1GB of ram and just upgrade your video card, you're gonna regret it. DAoC will stll lag spike on you every time something hits clipping plane. It would happen on my 7800GTXKO with only 756MB of ram. I really suggest the 2GB of ram. Ram goes for $70 GB anymore at newegg.