will 78 & 7900's be able to run--->

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by gunslinger, Jun 18, 2006.

1. gunslinger

gunslinger Master Guru

GPU:
    1 EVGA GTX titan 6gig SC
    Dx 10? Also what about xp. From what I've read the only o.s. that will run dx10 is vista. This can't be true! I have 2 7800gtx's in sli and I won't be able to run dx10 games. Somethings worng with this picture, but hell I could be worng after all its just my opinion :mad3:

2. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead
    from what i have read dx10 will be vista only

3. Mirec

Mirec Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati 4850
    no SM4.0 no full DX10 compatibility, even if you had 100SLI no SM4.0 no DX10

4. BIGWORM

BIGWORM Guest

GPU:
    Sparkle GTX 260 SP216

5. jiu-jitsuGOD

jiu-jitsuGOD Banned

GPU:
    quad sli8800GTX @826/2900 :) (H2o)
    those cards are vista compliant......

6. nforced4good

nforced4good Banned

GPU:
    Geforce 7900GTX
    no, they are vista compatible, there is a difference.

7. compunut

compunut Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX Geforce 7900GT SLI
    these cards can DX10 in emulation only
    yup vista is the only OS for DX10 right now

and vista compliant and vista compatible are totally diff. terms

8. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    our cards from the FX5200 and up support full vista OS features....DX10 really isnt the OS....its an add on. So you will get to use aeroglass etc. DX10.....no, not unless Nvidia somehow hid something from everybody i highly doubt DX10 will run on these.

9. nforced4good

nforced4good Banned

GPU:
    Geforce 7900GTX
    no DirectX 10 will not run on these current cards as Dx10 calls for the unified shader spec.

also to the above.

the current cards don't even Emulate Dx10, it would take a super computer to emulate Dx10 features.

it simply doesn't use the extra features and is limited to Dx9 features.

Aero Glass only requires DirectX 9 'Compliant' hardware. and will not run on anything lower.

10. EaglePC

EaglePC Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 5700
    Do not forget the 7800 GS AGP DirectX10 Ready

11. micketh

micketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070 8GB
    no 7 series cards are dx10 7800GS is just a poor G70 core.

12. mcstarr24

mcstarr24 Active Member

no even the 7950 card isnt DX10.

anyone who buys a new card now is a moron imo

in fact ima moron for even rebuilding this rig 8 months ago. spent 2000k easily. i had been out of the loop for a lil over a year, due to certain things going on in my life. and went out and read up for a few days...boy i wish i waited.. AM2 was around the corner. longhorn was coming out earlier then i ever thought

my 7800GTX cards arnt DX10 able. its annoying as all hell, but ill manage for a few years or less. I think Vista will enable pretty much DX10 performance on dx9 cards with DX9L

but the shader spec it seems wont be there

*beats self for not buying a 7600AGP card and just running that until 2007. I sold my older rig to my roomate and he took the 9800pro out, bought a 7800GS..and it works just aswell on new games as my SLI rig lol..well not as good, but good enough

13. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    you have a wonderfull life ;)

hey ontopic: directx 10 will NOT be emulated in any way ...

we would be able to play DX10 games but with the eyecandy from DX9.0C and thats it ...

Who will need extra effects/lights/etc etc etc will need a DX10 hardware supported card ...

The same happened to DX9 and DX8 and so on ...

Buying a 7950 DX9.0C is not such a good ideea ... considering that DX10 is arround the corner

maybe a so called 8000GT or something with the 8 series will suport DX10 and will be as good or even better than 1 7900GTX :)

sad life ...

14. AccordTR

AccordTR Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GeForce 8800GTX
    This DX10 thing is really getting out of hand. These are the facts...

Current cards WILL NOT be able to utilize dx10, BUT who cares, esp for now. If you own a 7900/x1900, etc you'll be fine for a very long time. ALL DX10 games released will be easily emulated to run/match current DX9C specs. If you have a highend card now, there is almost no difference in DX10 when the games arrive, in fact many dev say that to the naked eye, DX10 and DX9 on ultra high, look almost identical. Microsoft is trying to make DX10 the next big thing, which it will eventually be, but I wont worry about it too much anytime soon, as full DX10 games are said to be at least 2 years away.

For anyone worried about upgrading now, I say go for it, waiting for DX10 should be a somewhat of a consideration, but it should not be the reason for waiting, or you may be waiting a long time.

Big thing to remember, CRYSIS looks really good, and guess what it's done on DX9c

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  15. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire+HIS X1950 PRO Crossfire+OC
    Isn't Crysis all pre-rendered right now? It looks too good be realtime.

16. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    No, it isnt pre rendered. That is how it looks. If you hunt around there are even vids of ppl playing the game at E3. Stunning i know... but that is exactly how its gonna look!

EDIT: Yeah, what they have shown so far on Crysis is all DX9, but it will be DX10, and will offer addtional effects for those who have the hardware to run them. However, you cant really complain at how great it looks running in DX9 mode!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2006
  17. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Bro i didnt say they did...i said they didnt.....unless nvidia was hiding something. sort of speculation...no hard fact.

18. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire+HIS X1950 PRO Crossfire+OC
    Wow, what kind of specs did they need to run it?

19. StealthBomber

StealthBomber Member Guru

GPU:
    Fully modded X1950GT
    It takes well over a year to develop "cutting edge" games (at the very least), DX9 will be fully supported in the yet to be released games (ie C&C 3) for a while yet considering the vast majority of gamers will still be running on DX8/9 hardware.

20. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    I dont think like this ... you said that you are fine for a long time ... that never happened with no card that was ever made :) LOL

and directx 10 but MOST especially UNIFIED SHADERS will create some discomfort for DX9 cards ... they will still have to work with vertex and pixel shaders separately and just think about it ! if the pixel pipelines wont be able to do some UNIFIED work DX9 cards will suffer great decrease in FPS because they have more pixel pipes than vertex ....

I pretty sure there will be problems and some incompatibilities ...

and DX8 cards will be useless for sure :) lol whats the point playing a DX9 game with DX7 hardware ...

Game programers will not be forced to use DX9 compatible API and the translation from a native DX10 game to DX9 game (adaptation) will be crappy like games that are ported from PS2 to PC ..