Just ordered my X1800XT

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by mikewallace4fan, Jun 18, 2006.

1. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    Yeah in games with few alpha textures in obviously its not gonna cause a huge hit, but on BF2 and NFS MW (as examples) it has a very detrimental impact on performance depending on the scene. Its certainly not something I would leave forcibly enabled in the control panel, but then again everyone is different. The only thing I force is 16x AF and HQ AF, antialiasing I leave alone unless I play a game that doesnt expose AA settings (BFME2 and Hitman Blood Money iirc spring to mind). I would love something like nHancer for ATI cards. :)

2. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    I never even touched Adaptive AA... The only thing I force from CCC is 16x HQ AF. I don't like the idea of forcing anti-aliasing, as it can negatively affect performance (I think?).

3. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    Afaik what you can do is force adaptive aa and then leave aa on app controlled, then if you enable aa from inside the app itself it will enable adaptive aa by default. I think anyway. :)

I just have my ATI CCC set up as near as possible to my old Nv CP, AF forced and AA left well alone, avoids any issues. :)

4. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    With an x1900xt and an X2, I'd ALWAYS have it on!!!

I force HQ adaptive AA in BF2, 4xAA, 8x HQAF, 12x10 all max in game (except textures, only 1gb ram it stutters too much) and I average around 50-60fps, never drops below 40 usually, even in heavy fire fights.

**EDIT**

Can post some screenies if ya like

5. fajitasforme7

fajitasforme7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 7900GTX
    dude the guy whose talking about single slot solution might be getting confused with the x1800xl.
    anyways to the original poster...enjoy ur card cause ur gonna love it

6. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB

Hehe I don't have an X2, it's a single NewCastle-cored 3800+ at stock speeds of 2,4 GHz...

7. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    Before patch 1.3 (the patch of the devil) when BF2 actually worked, I always played everything max (inc textures, thx 2GB of RAM), 4x AA (performance AAA if im feeling frisky) and 16x HQ AF. Was very playable for me, just the bump to quality AAA is a tad painful on the Omar map as you head up the beach. Maybe its because I only have the 256MB version, but then again I dont want to compromise on texture quality or use less then 16x AF. Ah well, not a huge deal, still looks nice (apart from the god damn shadows :|). :)

8. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    ha ha!! My bad, it seems my eyes saw 3800+ but neglected to show me the 'newcastle' part beside!

9. fajitasforme7

GPU:
    EVGA 7900GTX
    man at least your BF2 patches....my damn BF2 doesnt even patch properly

10. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Are you downloading the full patches? I dont trust the incrementals, they always seem to cause hassle!

11. fajitasforme7

GPU:
    EVGA 7900GTX
    u have no idea how pissing off it is....ive probaly downloaded every patcg inremental and full at least twice....and ive only got my game to patch up to v1.12 so far.i think my dwnloads are getting corrupted somehow.maybe cause im using download accelerator plus

12. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Here's some BF2 goodness anyway, help keep the thread alive!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Joshwaan2k

Joshwaan2k Member

GPU:
    Leadtek GTX 275 896MB
    grimsanta do most X1800XT overclock to what you have your settings atm, so what would that make your card a Geforce 7900GT OC or something?

I'm thinking of going with the X1800XT is there a big diff between the 256mb version and the 512mb?

Cheers

14. mikewallace4fan

mikewallace4fan Active Member

GPU:
    X1800XT 256mb
    Read this topic.

Also, I don't play or have any of the fighting games like bf2 or Oblivion. I play NR2003(Nascar Racing). It's an awesome game which is going for $100+ on ebay because they don't make it anymore. I'll also probably be getting Rfactor soon...another racing game. Thanks for the help everyone.

What should I use to overclock my X1800? My case only has the stock cooling at the moment, so I don't wanna oc it too much. Currently I'm using ATI tray tools on my X600. Should I use Rivatuner or Ati tool instead?

My current resolution is set at 1024X768
    One more thing. I currently have onboard sound. I think that onboard sound works off of the processor right? Will getting a sound card give the processor a little more performance, and get rid of the bottleneck a little?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  15. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    You'll notice a bit of improvement with a soundcard, mostly in the sound though!! Wont do all that much for FPS, but every little helps.

For overclocking, RivaTuner is excellent, I personally dont like ATI Tool

16. thedj4u

thedj4u Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7970 Ghz
    at that resolution ... your gonna get everything you need out of the card without an overclock or at least much .. as for me 1920x1080 i need everything i can get out of my card .. hehe.. especially since i dont have dual core!!

17. mikewallace4fan

GPU:
    X1800XT 256mb
    I'm still gonna oc it. Maybe not much, but I'm going to some with the Ati Tool. What should the gpu temperature be close to? My X600 average gpu temp is 43 degrees celcius. What should the avg temp for an X1800XT be?

18. Joshwaan2k

Joshwaan2k Member

GPU:
    Leadtek GTX 275 896MB
    What's the diff guys between a Normal X1800XT and a Cross fire X1800?

I can get a X1800 Crossfire card quite cheap which is 512MB

19. thedj4u

thedj4u Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7970 Ghz
    well at 695 on the core it idles at 45c for me and loads at 58-60c and at stock it idles at 40c and loads at 55c... but keep in mind i have the fan on fixed 77% which is kinda loud..

20. mikewallace4fan

GPU:
    X1800XT 256mb
    Will running the fan at 100% during full load hurt it in anyway? Because I probably wouldn't hear it because I would have my headphones on.