Real CPU Power and gameing power

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Barry J, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    well i thought the first PC i built was the ultimate with its 486 DX 2/66 8Mb ram a 4mb upgrade cost me £420 and i belive i had a matrox graphics card but i am not sure thought it was awsome games looked better than my mates amstrad look how far pc's have come cant wait to see what its like in 10 years.

2. Preachergeek

Preachergeek Guest

GPU:
    MSI 8800gtx @ 655/950
    Yeah, it really is amazing. I'm only 16 and i vividly remember when components were only 1/10 of what they are today. I predict 3 terahertz processors and gigabytes of ram in ten years time. How we'll look back on such fads as sli and crossfire and laugh.

3. DeMarki

DeMarki Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 570 SoC 1280
    I remember when I first saw Tomb Raider 2 with a 3dfx card....:bolt:

4. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    i remember playing tennis with a square white brick hitting a white square on a black background thought it was fantastic......................

5. LordSoth

LordSoth Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 8gig
    DX 66, i remember those days long time ago. First games i ever played i think were wing commander privateer and Alone in the dark :) dam good games. Hell i even got wing commander priv on this pc i use Dos Box very good prog.

6. //Josh

//Josh Member Guru

Gigabytes of RAM are already used quite often today...you mean terabytes of RAM? :p

Well ya think Terabytes of RAM and Processors, just think the sorta games that's gonna run them, are they going to be virtual projections or something? Rofl.

7. hshagel08

hshagel08 Member Guru

GPU:
    6200 AGP 256mb
    I had a 90mhz P1 back in 1994 that ran Final Fantasy 7 which I bought in 1997. I ran it on high too. Too bad high end rigs don't last for 3 yrs now

8. Agizor

Agizor Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 512MB
    When I was very young, we had an old IBM XT. 20MB hard drive (it was awsome at the time), and 4MHz IBM 8088 if I remember correctly.

Not only this, but a monitor that displayed in Amber... no more green or white for us <(^_^( >)^_^)>

Played Wheel of Fortune on it all the time :D

9. d0X

d0X Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2070S Ventus
    don't make me remember my first gaming rig lol. it ran on casettes and i played games on tv

10. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super

wing commander forgot about that game i thought it was fantastic

11. x-speed69

x-speed69 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti Lightning
    well, first comp i used was some 90mhz pentium but first comp i owned was PII 400mhz(cost about 3000e in 1998 >_<) so i never had to play those ****ty dos games :D and NHL 99 is da BEST game ever.

12. Preachergeek

Preachergeek Guest

GPU:
    MSI 8800gtx @ 655/950

Yeah sorry i did mean terabytes of ram. Just a typo, i do actually know the differences between terabytes and gigabytes lol. Yeah, i also think we will be freely able to add extra ram modules to graphics cards at will. There will be no such thing as hard drives, with everyone using flash memory as a standard :p

Yeah the games will be powerful allright. Probably have a higher resolution than life. There wont just be sound and graphics cards either, we'll have a card for everysense. Smell cards, touch cards, taste cards ect. All of which are designed for "realistic" gaming.

13. Sieras

Sieras Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
    my first pc was a 433Mhz celeron with 128mb pc133 system memory and a 16mb riva tnt m64 video card, 8gb hard drive :) it was quite a beast that day :D later spent some money on new video card, then oc'ed everything to max...throwed out it some time later... :(

14. screenager

screenager Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Vega 64
    oh the sweet 'ol days. i still remember my Amiga with dune on 5 floppydisk and fade 2 black and stuff like that.
    but i dont know about the future right now, intel droped there netburst and use the somewhat the same performance rate as the AMD.
    so i dont know if we someday can talk about a "real" terrabyte CPU.

15. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    133mhz ram
    some ppl still use that and intel celerons also
    makes me feel sad :(

16. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    whats wrong with PC2700?
    i know people running SD 133mhz? on p3 machines (which are real bang for buck??)
    and dont bash cellies theyre darn cheap!

17. QuadCannons

QuadCannons Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 210
    My first comp was a Pentium 133mhz with 32MBs of RAM, and some kind of ATI Rage videochip. It played Total Annihilation and MechWarrio2: Mercenaries just fine though. Real fun:)

18. NobleKnight51

NobleKnight51 Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GT 512MB PCI-E
    Lol, I had my first computer back when I was 6, I thought it was awesome. I only knew it was a pentium 133, and it had the TURBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO button that did nothing but turn a light on lol.

My first game was Age of Empires, so much fun I still play it to this day.

I just get all speechless when I begin talking about the processing power of business servers... My dad was talking about his I-Series at work with the cabibility of 10 terabytes of HDD storage and like 10GB of ram and the it had like card slots that had two dual core 64-bit processors running @ 2 ghz... He had 5 of those card slots in there :D

$400,000

Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  19. monkey_feces

monkey_feces Guest

I predict that in 10 years time, your predictions will be wrong. If multicore cpus and integrated motherboard features don't make the need for add in components useless, then components will change to superior architecture with new scales of measurements rather than sticking to the old scale (4ghz pentium --> 2ghz conroe, sdram-->ddr2 ram). We can look at sli and crossfire today and laugh(2x the price for 30-50%[under unlikely circumstances] more performance and sometimes even less performance).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2006
  20. //Josh

//Josh Member Guru

I'm gonna be happy the day SLi and CF is out of date. o_O