CONROE is coming!!! will AMD boys change allegiance?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by W@w@Y, Jun 3, 2006.

1. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
    AMD and Intel do tend to leap-frog each other, but as each major core revision lasts for years it seems more like one is on the way out permenantly as they can slide into second place for a year or more. Intel almost has to lead with the advantages it has now, which are the new core and mature .065 micron process. AMD has a 3 year old core and won't even hit .065 micron at all until the end of the year. If they could not pass AMD now then it would be looking pretty sad for them, that's for sure. But in 2007 AMD will have a new major revision while Intel still has a year or two to go with its core, at which point AMD will presumbably surge ahead.

AMD may still maintain a lead in the quad socket server area, as having 8 or 16 cores sharing the same memory controller could be a major performance limiter, expecially if each core tends to do its own thing like with some servers. The reviews I've seen with 2 or 4 cores doesn't seem to have a large advantage, but then again the the benchmarks usually have all the cores working on a common task, which could negate most of the benefit. If one CPU has to access another CPU's memory most of the latency advantage probably goes out the window I'm sure...

Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  2. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
  3. compunut

compunut Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX Geforce 7900GT SLI
    ofcourse it will
    it would revamp or bring out a totally new architecture and shift to 65nm by Q1/Q2 07 and all this while Intel would be stuck would core
    so that time AMD would have the perf crown :) and to say te least i am eagerly looking forward to it also

4. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    say again in more legible english, i dont mean to be rude but i didnt catch the drift of the post.

5. d0X

d0X Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2070S Ventus
    i'd get the bang for buck solution, i won't give a fuc* what manufacturer it is as long as it is cheap and fast

6. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I always have trouble understanding why some folks would maintain an allegiance to a brand when there is an obviously higher performing and better value product from the other guy.

Intel or AMD

ATI or Nvidia

Creative or .....?

It's all the same to me. My bottom line is does it do what I want and make me happy.

Right now I'm happy, which is the only thing keeping me from second guessing myself for not waiting until Conroe to build my latest rig. But there will always be something new just around the corner, and you have to pull the trigger and make a choice eventually.

7. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    lol i've noticed any Pro-AMD post is bad post for you:rolleyes:

8. compunut

compunut Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX Geforce 7900GT SLI
    well let me make it crystal clear for you then

definitely in Q1/Q2 07 AMD will introduce new processors that should overthrow conroe's monopoly
    and i will be waiting for that day :)

9. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    you can stay waiting like that compunut, kentsfield should be here A3 07.
    but in your case, i can understand perfectly, you still got a very good system.

10. compunut

compunut Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX Geforce 7900GT SLI
    Yup
    we can wait perpetually for the ultimate processor since that would never come now would it. ofcourse kenstfield will be here but how much performance gains would a quad core processor offer over a dual core processor in games (which havent even started utilizing half of dual core potential)???

my system is good!!! now thats a laugh
    all my EE is good for is multitasking and benchmarking
    as someone else has already said an X2 4400+ can easily give more fps than my EE:frown:
    but i will definitely grab one of those X6800 when it comes though

11. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    if i didnt understand the post? i didnt make any relation to weather it is bad or good

let me desect if for you im not being rude just focusing were i didnt understand.

"ofcourse it will it would revamp" what will? and revamp what?

this is accompanied by "totally new architecture and shift to 65nm" last time i checked 65nm is a new process not architecture?

"all this while [FONT=verdana,geneva,lucida][FONT=verdana,geneva,lucida]Intel[/FONT][/FONT] would be stuck would core" stuck??? would be stuck would core???

" so that time AMD would have the perf crown" will have the performance crown, its a hypothical situation not past, shot into present and we dont know how much K8L makes changes towards peroformance.

and one thing is talking about IMMINENT releases then something nearly a year away:dave:

12. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
    Intel probably will be "stuck" with an older core while AMD has a newer one, but considering that core has not yet even come out and AMD does not have a new one just around the corner obviously this will take awhile. Those waiting for the next big thing from AMD before they upgrade should get ready to wait until mid 2007 or so at least, most likely. The K8L may be enough to put AMD back in the game but I kind of doubt it, may lose the crown permanently until the K9. Hopefully AMD will put in another pipeline or two to raise the IPC, as I'm guessing that is probably what it will take. Of course losing the crown doesn't mean you aren't competitive, because you can lower prices to compensate like AMD did when the XP started showing its age.

13. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    i think amd will skip the K9 code.. move to k10.. because with k9 you can say it works like a dog

14. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    JohnMclane

No offence, but every single post you have made is correcting someone elses!!!
    Are you ever wrong??

You just seem so stuck up that you cant take any critisim or opinions.

15. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    not offended

16. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    lol...but i noticed too.. :)

17. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    then bring up the anomalies in my post..
    id be more then welcome for debate
    im always up for a factual, consensual discussion

18. Halo 273

Halo 273 Master Guru

GPU:
    POV Geforce 7800 GT

I agree with this who ever has the best chip for me price wise, and performance wise will get my loot.

I have never considered myself to be tied down to only one type of manufacturer, i have had both intel and amd and the same for graphics card both nvidia and ATI.

19. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    atleast ur not offended :S

20. SorienOR

SorienOR Guest

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    You will only get a 20-30% boost in games if you run 1024x768 with no aa/af.

If you run 1600x1200 or higher with all the eye candy then the cpu doesn't make a huge impact..you are video card limited. there arn't many benches out there but I did see one that had a run of 3dmark06 at 1600x1200 and it had exactly the same score on a conroe as on a fx.

Everyone should know this already though.