How I fixed my 7900GT artifacting

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by The Fallen, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Lerun

Lerun Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7990
    There are some ppl without problems here ->
    http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1057814&page=7&pp=20

I've played HL2 EP1 without problems, Oblivion also does not give me problems. Tried StarWars Empire at War...and BOOM crashed to desktop with massive artifacts. Was thinking, hell I broke another one :(

But going into CS:Source @ 510 / 1540 all was well again. Strange...

I'm also running the newsest drivers....aaaaahhhh hell this is straining my nerves. I just want a working card, not having to take apart my watercooling multiple times....It's a hazzle and just makes me cranky.

With a delta of 20, I did get some problems taking the core to 520 (+20 delta). Got some artifacts loading CS/HL2 so I think the core needs more volts to be stable higher, as pointed out my core gets 1.2V. So I'll keep it low til I volt mod, but before i do I want a 100% stable card. Don't want to void the warenty before I know the card is sollid.

But I feel we are all beta testers, but this is HW and not SW...:bugeye:

2. AliasRomanian

AliasRomanian Member

GPU:
    Sapphire x1900xt
    I keep on coming back to this forum every time I see a new post in hopes that a fix came up.

3. Pens1566

Pens1566 Active Member

GPU:
    7800GTX KO/9600XT/6800go
    I don't think you're alone in that regard.

4. tblaney

tblaney Member

GPU:
    XFX 7900 GT (E) x 2
    No you are not, I check a couple of times a day.

XFX has had one of my cards now for close to 2 weeks. I have been writing them daily. I now sounds like they can't find a problem with the card.

Now what? New case with lot's of cooling, Antec Neo 550 SLI rated psu, and ASUS a8m32 SLI mobo. I bought everything rated to run sli and I can't even get these cards to run correctly in single.

If I put an ATI card in, no problems, 48 hours of 3dmark06 deep freeze.

I am willing to replace PSU, MOBO if they can tell me for sure that will fix the problem. It really stinks because I can't return them to newegg now since XFX took so long to test and it is now 2 days over the 30 return policy.

I am not looking for anything free, just working video cards.

5. ANViL

ANViL Guest

GPU:
    2 x ASUS EN7900GT 256Mo
    Man you don't have to change your hardware, its a perfect config for a gamer.
    We've all been hearing from RMA techs saying that our mobo is defective, that we should try another PSU blabla.....it's b***** and they know it perfectly.

Since there's actually no solution to that problem (and I should say quite old problem since it appeared months ago ), they're just trying to reject the fault on end-users like us.

We're all looking for working video cards, and I must admit I haven't seen many users claiming their 7900 is working perfectly (a working 7900, isn't that a legend ?)

Personnaly, this is the last RMA I try, if the cards show defective symptoms, I'll ask for a refund and go buy elsewhere....I'm tired of theese High-end-expensive-non-working-video-cards :bolt:

6. Hav0q

Hav0q Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA Titan X
    Just a 7900 plague update. I'm still pissed about this RMA card by the way.

Anyway, I was determined to get FEAR to run properly so I tried adjusting the settings (via nHancer). First off, I disabled AA, which sucks, but @ 1280x960 it doesn't look too bad and guess what, no problems. I looped that stupid performance test demo 30 times, yes 30 just to ensure it worked and it didn't give me a single hiccup, plus I exited the game just fine with no flashy screen or lockups. Great, whoopdey doo. Now, I want to point out that during all this testing, I'm using the buggy-ass ForceWare 91.31 Beta driver. I decided to play for a bit, and it ended up being 1-hour and it ran fine. I paused the game and let it sit for another hour, came back and resumed game play...it ran fine. Here's the odd part, after resuming gameplay, I decided that all is well by disabling AA and quit the game and guess what, it flipped out again--flashy screen and a total lockup requiring a hard reboot. I know that temperature couldn't be an issue at this point, becuase it was sitting for so long and plus I have a Zalman VF900-Cu that runs full speed all the time. I'm thinking that the issue has something to do with the frequency switching. Also, I want to point out that I'm noticing some graphical glitches, but not artifacts in the game. It seems that the sparks and smoke have a purpleish tint to them. It could be my color settings, but I highly doubt it, everything else looks fine. Anyone else have any similar findings?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  7. Hav0q

Hav0q Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA Titan X
    Another BIG update. It's rumored that eVGA has yet another replacement card that has finally been worked out. This is good and bad news. It's good news for those that are about to send out for their first RMA it's bad news and annoying as hell, I might add, for those of us (such as myself) that have to send in yet another RMA now knowing that our RMA cards may go bad sooner or later. I knew at the first glitch/crash of FEAR that this card wasn't going to be 100% fixed. I have my fingers crossed this time, it does seem like a fix has finally been made. I e-mailed Joe Darwin and I'll post back what he tells me directly, I asked for details, details, details.

8. Pens1566

Pens1566 Active Member

GPU:
    7800GTX KO/9600XT/6800go
    If that rumor is based off my "Just talked to Joe" thread over @EVGA, then hold your horses. All he said was that there was a new batch being tested. They'll be ready for release in a week or so. No specifics on what is different (if anything).

9. Chakka

Chakka Member

GPU:
    XFX 7900gt 256mb
    At least eVGA is working on the solution and, and, and communicating with its customers. A+ in my book.

Truth be told is that I have had no problems with my xfx 520 card since early April. I just started playing Oblivion at highest quality settings for the past week...no problem so far knock on wood.

I have been debating whether or not to mod my card yet cause Im thinking its safe to mod after 2 months with no artifacting....

10. Hav0q

Hav0q Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA Titan X
    Whatever the case, I have spoken with techs (but not Joe) @ eVGA and they also semi-confirm the same. I say semi because the words, "yes, we've found the issue and we have fixed the card and they'll be shipping next week," haven't come out of their mouth but they did state that they have solved the issue and new cards are being manufactured. That is a big difference vs. modified.

Also, eVGA has been reported to now give 7800GTX cards to owners of faulty 7900GT cards as they are now aware that these cards cannot be fixed by a mere bios flash nor modification and see no point to RMA a card 2, 3 or 4 times. Although that is only a report, there are many cases thus far reporting the same information which does support my first comment that I stated that they have found a fix.

11. Pens1566

Pens1566 Active Member

GPU:
    7800GTX KO/9600XT/6800go
    I have seen one report of the 7800GTX for 7900GT swap. I'd consider it, if it weren't for the possibility of this new "fix" actually solving things. I'll give it one more RMA once this new batch is out, then I'm just asking for a 7800GTX 512 back.

12. Lerun

Lerun Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7990
    So I desided to ru 3dmark06 a couple of times at stock speed. 500/1500, guess what happened....did I hear the proverbial penn drop, yes you guesed it right. Massive tearing, and eventually flikkering screen in windows.

So running DeepFreeze a couple of times produses the issue.
    As i'm getting long tearing lines, the problems with the memory.

I'll just join you all waiting in line..*sigh*

13. Pens1566

Pens1566 Active Member

GPU:
    7800GTX KO/9600XT/6800go
    Try downclocking your card to 450/600. Just to see if it passes. Its working for some, might hold you over for a while.

14. Hav0q

Hav0q Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA Titan X
    450/620 you mean? That's the factory 7900GT clock speeds. You shouldn't need to downclock anyway, RMA your card, if possible.

15. Lerun

Lerun Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7990
    It's just DeepFreeze and Star Wars Empire at War I've run into this problem.
    Running HL2 : CS I can play hours an end.

I'll see if going down to 310 (1240) in ATItool helps pass the test.
    The stock is 375 (1500), it's my second 7900 form two differend companies (eVga & XFX) both had problems but a bit different.

I've run through all drivers, but no go..... ?!?

I dunno what's with these cards anymore.

16. Lerun

Lerun Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7990
    What do you know, going all native on the clock did the thing.

But as we dished out some heavy cash for these cards OC'ed I will not settle for running them at redused speeds.

But I'm not shure RMA'ing them now is the best option, ppl are on their 6th cards. This to me sugest the companies are using refurbised "defective" cards with altered capasitors / resistors.

Man buying a new card turned out to be so much hazzle. I do feel with everybody, hats of to you who refuse to quit even after 6 RMA's

17. GoreRanger

GoreRanger Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA 7900GTKO 512 560/1510
    I made a post over at eVGA concerning the 7900 series problems and the ratio of SLI boards to non SLI boards. I was talking to a fellow system builder last night and he has put 4 7900 GT (not overclocked) cards in systems and they aren't having any issues. But all 4 systems have non-SLI mobos. I am wondering if there is a potential issue with these cards and SLI boards?

18. AliasRomanian

AliasRomanian Member

GPU:
    Sapphire x1900xt
    No, there is no problem with the sli boards because I have a non SLI board and still had problems with the 7900gt. Going to send it back to newegg once my x1900xt comes in.

19. Chakka

Chakka Member

GPU:
    XFX 7900gt 256mb
    I had my card in an MSI Diamond SLI for one month and an ABIT AN8 Ultra non-sli for the second month so far too.

20. Pens1566

Pens1566 Active Member

GPU:
    7800GTX KO/9600XT/6800go
    Yeah, well Jacob instructed the 600 mem speed. And 665 (1320) is actually nvidia reference speed anyway. 600 worked for me, although I got a crappy 4000 3dMark06 score at those clocks. Back it goes. Jacob is sending me something to replace my GT.