A bit confused about Core Duo

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by outlaw88, May 24, 2006.

1. outlaw88

outlaw88 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    I'm a little bit confused as to what Core Duo is currently "for". It states here: http://www.intel.com/products/processor/index.htm?iid=CorporateV3+Header_2_Product_Proc that Core Duo is currently on the desktop. Now, I realize that there are mobo's out there that do exist that you can put a Core Duo proc into but, correct me if i'm wrong, Core Duo is for laptops (mostly) and the upcoming Core 2 Duo is for BOTH laptops and desktops?

2. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    yes core duo is "yonah" core

core 2 duo will be
    merom(laptop) conroe(desktop) and woodcrest(server) with Txxxx Exxxx and xeon 5xxx numbers

3. outlaw88

outlaw88 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    Thank you. Makes sense now. Codenames are a pain in the @$$ to keep track of sometimes

4. reborn

reborn Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX460 1GB @Stock
    can i use my existing mobo (i975x) to use Conroe?
    or do i need to buy a new mobo?

do Intel have any plan to release any new chipset to support Conroe?

5. outlaw88

outlaw88 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    If I remember correctly, the current mobos won't support Conroe due to different power regulations. Someone correct me if im wrong

6. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    depends on the model? what is it?

7. compunut

compunut Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX Geforce 7900GT SLI
    hi
    i too have the d975 XBX mobo and yes it can support conroe but it requires a yet to be released bios update for that

8. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    depends pre 304 boards require modding (hardware)

9. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
    I think Intel is pushing core duo as some sort of media center solution, though presumbably without too much sucess given the number of desktop boards for it.

10. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    gl is right, they want people to use core duo in media centers, with that VIIV platform thing.
    and like John said, no boards yet support conroe, except the intel D975XBX revision 304. although there is a hardware mod for the revision 302.

11. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    and the MSI rev 2.0A and B

12. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    how do you know that John, i havent heard that before.

13. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    over at XS coaler used some times

14. Toji

Toji Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800 GT 256MB
    intel seems to be slowly removing the Pentium as the preimium brand name for their processors.

These conroe core processors are essentialy two dothan cores on steroids.

Intel will always push the size of their cpus smaller and smaller. at first with the pentium line, they used this method to acheive high clock speed on their pentiums. I think intel realizes people are becoming more feature oreinted, and knowlegable enough to know that clockspeed no longer defines a PC.

Intel Core Duo is a new line of cpu which refelect the same marketing strategey as Intel Centrino Mobile Technology has.

Intel ViVi technology is the "Centrino" for the desktop. While Pentium Ds are curently being used, I see Intel Core Duo 2 used as well and more so in the future. Intel will only need to add EM64T to the instruction set, and Core Doo will be on course to compete with AMD's Athlon X2s.

sure you can OC the conroe to 4.6ghz, but the methods to obtain it, is not practical for daily use. It's just somthing you do to pat yourself on the back after running pointless benchmarks, and posting the score on some tech forum to fuel your ego.

15. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    conroe is more than 2 dothans on steroids, i think you are confusing it with yonah, the current core duo.
    conroe is an evolution from this, but with unified cache instead of seperate, and other architectural tweaks.