SLI Physics or Yet Another Physics Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ujcdv, May 25, 2006.

1. ujcdv

ujcdv Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    My question is not about PhysX, it's about the upcoming (I guess it's upcoming) SLI Physics.

As I understand it, you have an SLI setup, and one card would be used as a PPU. Now with anormal SLI setup, you need two of the same type cards.

7800 GTX or 7900GT or whatever.

So, would SLI Physics be like regular SLI? Or could you use a 7900GT as your GPU and a 6600 GT and the PPU?

Can anybody answer this or give an educated guess?

2. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    I think you can use a 7900 with 7600 in sli, where the 7600 is used solely for physics calculations

3. ujcdv

ujcdv Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    That would be the best for everyone if that's the case. The vendors get to sell newer cards so people can upgrade the GPU's and the users get to use their older cards for something which will help retain their value.

:)

4. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    that would be excellent indeed,would stop the old 6600gt from collecting dust an get some "physical" use

5. Akhkaru

Akhkaru Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB WF
    Sounds promising but for AGP owners, we have to go with the piece of crap PhysX card which won't even help us considering the fact that it sucks. Anyone on AGP that has money to buy that card would already have PCI-e along with a 7800GT

6. Akhkaru

Akhkaru Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB WF
    No pun intended?

7. JamesDax

JamesDax Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GeForce 7600GS
    Sorry, but they would both have to be the same card. There is no way to SLI, for example, a 7900 c/ a 7600.

8. ujcdv

ujcdv Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    If they both have to be the same type card for SLI Physics, then in my opinion hardware physics just wont take off at all.

Even if Ageia had lots of games that their PPU supported and were out now, people would still be squimish about paying 300 dollars for that card. So what makes Nvidia think someone is going to pay 300 dollars (or more depending on what kind of card you get for SLI..but you know someone will) for their setup? It's the same thing except you can use your other card as GPU. I don't know, maybe I'm just not understanding what they are trying to accomplish other than sell graphics cards.

The only upside on SLI physics over Ageia (if both Nvidia cards have to be the same type) would be the amount memory. With two 512 GTx cards, you have a 512 PPU, in GPU SLI you only get the one cards memory.

I guess we will just have to wait and see what come out with all of this.

9. ha ha missed me

ha ha missed me Master Guru

GPU:
    sapphire x800xl agp @ 435 /535 :)

well... i was reading somthing about the nvidia physics thing and they were saying you will be able to use the 7600 as the ppu, i've tried finding the webpage i was reading but to no avail,

and @ Akhkaru

and whats the point of agp users buying this card anyway, coz take me for example im in a cod-uo community and play a lot and if i bought this card it wont do anything to improve my game as its not supported by it, yeah i might be able to play bf2 a bit better but not much, and so the new games coming out in the future will be even more unplayable, so i think as an agp user this ppu card is a bad investment .

and i got a question can you use one of these ppu cards with an SLI/crossfire setup, ie. a pci one like us agp users will have to do?

10. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    you cant just put a grahics card in and make it run the physics
    not even drivers will let it do that
    i dont care what Nvidia says, unless they makea new card, todays cards just cant handle physics like the physx card

11. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    graphics cards can do just about anything any other processor can do, have a look here