So this is why the OC'd 7900s are defective...

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Decane, May 6, 2006.

1. Cohex

Cohex Member

It seems that on any game benchmark that uses SM3.0 it stuffs up

2. Bawbag

Bawbag New Member

GPU:
    XFX 7900GT EE
    I got my XFX 7900GT Extreme from OCUK yesterday and oc'd it pretty much as soon as I installed it.

I've been playing NFS:MW, F.E.A.R, HL2 and Guild Wars: Factions on nearly all full settings with no problems on a 32" LCD TV at 1360x768 via DVI-DVI.

However, after reading this thread I'm a little paranoid so I've put the speeds back to the default settings. I also checked that delta thing and it appears to be 0.

These are the stock speeds
    [​IMG]

And here's what I was running at until now, with no problems (I used detect optimum)
    [​IMG]

So should I be safe to put the speeds back up or am I being greedy? Also, are the stock speeds safe if the delta is 0 or will I have to underclock it / wait for it to fail and RMA?

I havent bothered with 3DMark 06 or ATT yet, I've just been playing games.

3. capoz77

capoz77 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 560ti Twin FrozR

Run 3dmark06 thats the true test!

4. Bawbag

Bawbag New Member

GPU:
    XFX 7900GT EE
    I've just ran it and it was 100% artifact free on stock settings, although I think the score might be a bit lame due to my D930... the CPU test was well slow! Are the graphics supposed to be that crap in the CPU test?

Here's my score...

[​IMG]

Are the options I have selected what most people use? I just left it as default after I'd intalled it.

Also, the card is sitting at 47 degrees after running 3DMark 06. That's alright innit?

1 more thing, does the fact I have 4x512MB RAM affect my score?

To be honest game performance is good and that's all I care about, and not frying the card obviously.

5. prozak

prozak New Member

GPU:
    PoV7900GT@500/1400
    Hi guys.
    Got same problems here with PoV 7900GT
    Stock speeds are 450/660
    I overclocked to 500/760 and it was artifact/crash free for a couple of days.
    Now suddenly it started blinking after exiting games and it has become unstable to any kind of overclock. I returned to stock speeds and i'm going to test it today to see if there's been any damage.

A question : can any 7900gt card be flashed with any 7900gt bios?
    Can i use eVGA's bios to my card in order to increase the voltage?

Last edited: May 22, 2006
  6. Joe_Bar

Joe_Bar New Member

GPU:
    Albatron 7900GTX @ 715/900MHz wc'ed
    My Albatron 7900GTX run flawlessly for 2 weeks oc'ed @ 715/900mhz. :)
    I've looped deep freeze for more than 1 hour, played CoD2 and Godfather without any issues.
    Tested with 84.21 and 84.43 drivers.

7. dominant1

dominant1 Guest

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    I hav'nt had a problem yet! The nvidia venders seem to feel like its no worst then any other new card release.....they expect a certain # of cards to be rma'd and that # has not been exceded, but rather the normal %! Besides if that is the case with all the oc'ed gtx's. what do you say to those who are not having a problem with their cards!

Last edited: May 22, 2006
  8. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    :bump:

(Please report any new information you have regarding the problems relating to the 7900 series GFX cards.)

9. fajitasforme7

fajitasforme7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 7900GTX
    arzek have you received your card yet?

10. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Nope, trying to contact the computer shop now by phone, but the damn buttholes won't answer... I want my PC back up and running! :bawl:

(edited due to inappropriate characters (***) suggesting profanity)

Last edited: May 24, 2006

11. fajitasforme7

GPU:
    EVGA 7900GTX
    u dude that sucks.well at least you can get stuff ordered to where you live.even if anybody shipped to india it would most likely get stolen...well thats what happened to my sports illustrated.
    you kno what sucks...my cousins who are getting my 7900GTX are coming on the 10th but i wont be able to use my card till like the 20th...so for now im having fun with my 6200TC

12. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB

Yea but at least you have a graphics card! I don't have any GFX card for the time being, and my PC won't boot without one, so I'm stuck using my dad's laptop until I get my replacement 6800GT (long story) or my new 7900GT Extreme! Sucks being me...

13. fajitasforme7

GPU:
    EVGA 7900GTX
    o yeah i guess that does suck...yeah well i got my 6200TC pretty cheap so i was lucky...i tried to get a cheap pci card to hold out but they didnt have one

14. Hooked

Hooked Member Guru

GPU:
    Dual eVGA 8800 GTS 640mb / SLI
    Hola dudes, Im on my 2nd XFX 7900 GTX Stock OCd. The first was labeled a v1.0. This new one says v1.1 . But it has the same Bios number. ... The first one locked up bad ... is there a specific driver that everyone knows is stable?
    So i can try this one out on a good driver. 84.21 is in there now...

15. h4rb1ng3r

h4rb1ng3r New Member

GPU:
    XFX 7900GT 550/1630
    UPDATE: XFX dont believe my card is defective! Can u believe that!!! I ve have been corresponding with them and just wont give me an RMA each time i ask and keep directing me to other things like my motherboard. :realmad: Oh btw,the chipset heatsinks did squat. Needless to say ive now taken it back to the store i bought it from (where i work. :grin: ) where it failed miserably on the test bench in various mobo's etc. I hope i get a new card as a replacement so i can get a credit for it and buy something else less ****ty! lol http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTA2OSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==
    I think ill go for EVGA this time around as im really impressed by their commitment to their customers and that they appear to be the only company so far that is putting fan control into their 7900GT's. Also I probably wont be getting one that is overclocked so hard this time around. Or i might just give Nvidia a wide berth for a while and get and ATI card. :D

16. Hooked

Hooked Member Guru

GPU:
    Dual eVGA 8800 GTS 640mb / SLI
    They "XFX" RMA'd mine with no problem. My version 1.1 is smooth. I run XTreme-G 84.37.v2 dets ... FEAR makes me drool its so beautiful - max settings @ 1280x1024
    Oh and the April release of DirectX

GF 7900 GTX 512mb DDR3 Dual DVI TV
    Ordering code PV-T71F-YDE9 V1.1 WO3/06

Make sure to ask for version 1.1
    Talk to Micheal in your support tix submittals

17. OCZSpeedJunky

OCZSpeedJunky Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x MSI GTX465 SLI'd
    Actually if ya can, and haven't yet returned the card or for anyone doing this soon, they have v1.2 now. I just recently returned my card RMA and got a brand new one, v1.2 and it runs rock stable thus far.

Same ordering code as he already said
    v1.2 W04/06
    has the same BIOS on it

18. dominant1

dominant1 Guest

GPU:
    I posted this earlier^

Now my card is giving me problems artifacts in Half life2 freezes etc and pc restarts while playing, i'm gonna Rma this card, EVGA says i must go to the vender 1st, i emailed them 4 days ago no response....going to start the process @ EVGA.

19. dominant1

dominant1 Guest

GPU:
    I was really impressed with how simple the EVGA rma process works. They are sending out my new card before I send them back my old card. I have 30 days to send my old card. i should get my new card with its replacement updated bios in about 5 days. They even pay for the shipping on the return of my old card, great service thus far.

20. dominant1

dominant1 Guest

GPU:
    Well i will be getting my new card from evga monday, i wonder if they will send me an upgraded model like the gx2 7950, its only $40.00 more then my card that i'm rma-ing, that would be awesome but unlikely...huh has anyone had this happen?