How I fixed my 7900GT artifacting

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by The Fallen, Apr 20, 2006.

1. JPennStar

JPennStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7970M
    That sounds like a good plan.

I understand your point, but I am not going to take any chances because I already RMAd the card and don't want to be down again. So I'll make a minor mod...... I am also a cooling/fan ***** so its instinctual LOL. I have a mATX case with 7 fans in it.

Front - 120mm on Zalman fanmate
    Rear - 120mm on 120x80mm reducing ring on Zalman fanmate
    Side - 80mm (I cut in myself) on Zalman fanmate
    HDD - (2) 40mm on Zalman fanmate
    PSU - 120mm with riostat
    CPU - Zalman 9500 LED on Zalman fanmate

I may or may not mess with the stock VGA cooler, time will tell. But with my 7800GT I immediately installed a VF700.

2. The Fallen

The Fallen Maha Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB
  3. Pens1566

Pens1566 Active Member

GPU:
    7800GTX KO/9600XT/6800go
    I'll be tempted to try it if my newly arrived RMA board has the same problems as my original. Only 2 more days to find out. :)

Hopefully, this BIOS doesn't make the fan run 100% non-stop.

4. jason_r90

jason_r90 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA 7900GT KO 1.45@630/1660 SLi
    Thanks for the heads up The Fallen.

5. tsunami81

tsunami81 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Xpress 200M 256mb
    did you get the bios Fallen? hook me up :)

EDIT**

how do you extract an .ex_ file?

Last edited: May 9, 2006
  6. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    I just messaged Mario over at eVGA tech support and requested that he send me the Beta BIOS he made to help address some of the more documented problems our cards are having. Since I now have my replacment card and it's working with no problems I don't really have any need for it. I'll just keep it in case I start having problems in the future. Also if I do get it e-mailed to me I'd be happy to give it out to anyone who wants it (Well that's if Mario gives me the green light to give it out). I'll post back when I get it, or don't get it.

7. Chakka

Chakka Member

GPU:
    XFX 7900gt 256mb

With the XFX card, not sure if you need to add the heatsink on the IC chips. My XFX is the 520mhz version. Ive been running it for over a month...no artifacts, nothing...and stock cooling. Just check it out first before you mod the card in any way so you dont void the warranty.

However, I too wait at least a month before I overclock...and in the case of this 7900gt with others having problems, Ill probably wait 2-3 months just to make sure so I dont void the warranty.

My 3dmark05 score is 9037 and 3dmark06 is 5027 at 520mhz stock. I do plan to mod the card to get 7900gtx performance when I get around to playing Oblivion.

8. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Alright guys I now have that BIOS that Fallen was talking about, if you want it just send me a Private Message and I'll get it off to you ASAP!

9. The Fallen

The Fallen Maha Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB
    Hey roger send me the bios. I haven't talk to mario yet ;)

Interesting, this bios changed the gpu voltage from 1.2v to 1.35v. I guess it's overclocking time for me

10. jacobmervine

jacobmervine Member

GPU:
    2x eVGA 7950gt
    i upgraded to the bios mario was giving out, now i cannot eve touch the core or mem clocks because every time i "test" it freezes and turns off my monitor, iv tried different drivers and different bioses this bios seems to be the only one to make my computer crash when i "test" the frequencies so im not sure the bios is all that what it hyped up to be. and if im wrong please tell me what im doing wrong and try to help me fix the problem not flame me about it. thanks

11. YurAnus

YurAnus Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobile Radeon HD 5730
    Have any of you messed with the PEG setting in the bios of your asus board? If so what happend. I set it to fastest and my computer wouldn't boot. Also I would like to note that since my last post about the ezplug I havn't had any freezes or blue screen errors or artifacts with any games. The only thing that is happinig is 3dmark05 won't work becouse I keep getting a windows error the ones were it want's you to send or don't send to them. Do you think that would be related to any of this or is it windows. I even tried reloading 3dmark05. 03 and 06 work great.

12. tsunami81

tsunami81 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Xpress 200M 256mb
    very nice! :)

13. The Fallen

The Fallen Maha Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB
    I hit 600mhz core with the bios compared to my 530mhz before. Might still be able to go high but I'm happy with the results so far. Memory also running at 1.7ghz, no problems.

jacobmervine,
    Were you able to do detect optimal frequencies with the default bios that came with your card?

14. TheNewtype

TheNewtype New Member

GPU:
    MSI X1800XT 512mb
    Hmmm... Now I'm thinking about giving my 7900GT KO another shot. Could someone send me the new BIOS? and how exactly do I flash the BIOS because I've never done it before... Oblivion plays fine at stock (520/1540) but after the BSOD I had in Q4 I can't even play quake 4 for 5 minutes before it crashes and the moniter goes nuts...

15. tsunami81

tsunami81 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Xpress 200M 256mb

hmmm 1.7 eh.. im try it out

16. The Fallen

The Fallen Maha Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB
    Which model is your card? The CO SC is n565. You should request a KO bios from mario, the evga tech. mgastelum@evga.com , give him a shout

17. TheNewtype

TheNewtype New Member

GPU:
    MSI X1800XT 512mb
    Ok, I just sent him an E-mail. and again, how do I flash it to the new one? Like I said I've never done it before.

*Edit* Oh and if the model number is in the P/N then I believe it is n564.

18. The Fallen

The Fallen Maha Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB
    You'll need a floppy disk. Mario will send you self-extracting file which copies the files into a floppy. Then you need to restart and boot up from the floppy drive

19. TheNewtype

TheNewtype New Member

GPU:
    MSI X1800XT 512mb
    Thanks. I'll have to do this tomorrow since I don't have any floppies ATM. I'll post back here afterwords with the results.

20. Auswak

Auswak Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS
    Don't flash the 7900GT KO with the N563 Bios.

To everyone else:

Please do not flood Mario's email with requests. Please check the EVGA downloads page first for the BIOS Update for your card
    http://www.evga.com/support/drivers/
    Select Graphics cards - Bios Updates - then card model number

Again, although this may seem like a huge problem to those of you experiencing difficulties, the reality remains that there are 99.5% of end users without these issues, but this in no way deters EVGA from providing you all with the support required to more than satisfy everyone and help you have one the best gaming experiences available.

:)