eVGA vs BFG warranty

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by mk_ln, Apr 21, 2006.

1. mk_ln

mk_ln Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX280@700/1400/2600
    hi, i was looking at both their sites and noticed that eVGA allows u to mod their cards and still be under the warranty whereas BFG's warranty does not. my question, however, is whether or not eVGA's warranty is TRULY a 'lifetime' warranty...on their site it says that "...This lifetime warranty is valid for the life of the retail product, so long as the original purchaser owns the product...". On BFG's site it says "BFG Technologies is proud to warrant the original purchaser of the graphics card included in this package ("Product") that the Product will be free from defects in material or workmanship for as long as the original purchaser owns the product, when given normal wear and proper usage...". soooo, for the sake of argument, lets say my card lasts me 20 yrs:)P), but then craps out, can i still replace it? As for eVGA's warranty, what does 'life of the retail product' mean?...does it mean as long as the product is being sold in stores? thanks in advance to any1 who can help me out w/ this question. :)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2006
  2. chazly413

chazly413 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce 970 4GB
    In 20 years they most likely would not produce that card anymore, and undoubtedly be out of date. They'd probably give you a current card at the same value your dead card was back then.. See what I'm saying? And you can't beat that changing heatsink, overclocking/unlocking warranty eVGA has along with their step-up program that allows you to buy a new card up to 90-days after you bought your old one (you only pay difference and return your current card).

3. mk_ln

mk_ln Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX280@700/1400/2600
    lol, 20 yrs is an exaggeration of course :p, but i guess i should have just asked this: what does 'life of the retail product' mean? (this was also in my other post lol) thanks again :)

4. MrFox

MrFox Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 580GTX SOC x2
    It must just mean as long as it is working and has not been brokem from what you did I think?

5. ssjkev16

ssjkev16 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon X1900GT
    well from what I've heard, "life of the retail product" actually means the time period when the videocard is actually for in retail shops and such, and if that product is no longer for sale anymore in stores, then the warranty is no good anymore, but with BFG, they have a TRUE lifetime warranty, so yes if you still happen to have the card 20 years from now, and then it finally craps out, you can still get it replaced! ....

6. Hpnotiq

Hpnotiq Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA XFX XXX Edit.7600GT 590/1600
    eVGA covers overclocking and replacement of heatsink. ( i wish i knew this before hand, i really do) Anyways i bought XFX, they have great, stable overclocks ( haven't heard anything bad about their cards, but damn eVGA has had some major problems with their 7 series cards) And the XFX card had the Double Lifetime warranty which added atleast another $20 on the selling value of my card in the future. Next time though i'm going to research, see what cards overclock like a mother and buy a eVGA..and just replace the heatsink, slap a blower or water cool it and just clock the hell out of it. But i'd go with eVGA. ( not for the 7 series though, get the XXX edition cards made by XFX )

7. wolf68k

wolf68k Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 6800GS 256MB AGP 400
    I didn't know this going in to buying my eVGA card and I'm glad they do support the replacement of the heatsink.
    Just remember if you have to return the card to eVGA for whatever reason, you have to put the original heatsink back on. So don't lose any parts or even the screws. I've got everything in a zip lock bag.