Recommend a good mouse

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by raging_dragon, Apr 17, 2006.

1. raging_dragon

raging_dragon Master Guru

GPU:
    Suck
    Currently using a Microsoft Intellimouse standard PS/2 mouse.
    The cursor will regularly "jump" if you know what I mean. Sometimes it will jump upwards about half the screen height and sometimes it will jump downwards. I'm not sure if it's the mouse or something else causing this.
    Most likely it is the mouse so give me your recommendations so I can decide which one I'll get.
    Thanks.

2. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    im very happy with my logitech g5, and would recommend it certainly. any logitech mouse actually, i have always had a good experience with them.

3. ThePhreaker

ThePhreaker Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 5200Go fx
    Logitech Mx1000 ... awesome mouse

4. Scief

Scief Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 6800GT @Ultra
    Well, I got a problem with my mouse, the wheel didn't work as it should have. I don't remember why I got that problem, but I downloaded newest drivers and it fixed it. Before that I had the stock 1999 drivers. Although after reformat I don't have to use the new drivers anymore, all is ok with these stock drivers.

So maybe I ruined your "real" reason to buy a new mouse and now all that's left is your desire for a new mouse :)

I haven't heard anything bad from any Logitech's mouse. I personally like the G1 and will get is some day, it looks so nice. I guess that all the MX and G models are great. The new Razers are also quite well liked, but expensive.

BTW, Why can't I find G1 on the Logitech's site? G5 is there, but I can't find G1 with the search or from the products-all mice section. But with google, I can find a link to their site.

I've never used any "real" mouse, just this Logitech's standard mouse, PS/2, corded, not-optical (not even on their site anymore). I can't understand how a mouse could be better! So, I guess I should avoid trying diffrent mice, or I might not be able to use this again.

5. raging_dragon

raging_dragon Master Guru

GPU:
    Suck
    Can someone explain why those mice are so expensive? The G5 is going for about £40-50 and the MX1000 I believe is only slightly cheaper.
    What's so good about them apart from their eye-catching looks and 1000dpi sensitivity. Is it really worth that much?

EDIT: After a quick search for the G1(hoping it would be a lot cheaper) I didn't find one. I think they're no longer in production?
    Lol my "real" reason to upgrade my mouse was because it really is faulty now. I've never had a problem with it before. I really like this mouse and never felt a need to change it. Now the time has come for it to be replaced though as it keeps doing it. I don't think it's because of the drivers becaquse it worked prefectly before and I haven't changed anything on my system.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
  6. Vanadis

Vanadis Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    Razer Copperhead. :)

7. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    G5 and G7(cordless) are too expensive... go with mx1000, mx700(cordless),mx518... or the mx500 if you can't find a 518

8. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Razer copperhead or Logitech mx518... I don't recommend Razer diamondback (which I have) since it sometimes refuses to power up when I boot my computer. To solve the problem i must replug it.

9. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    i'd recommend only wired ones
    i dont go for that wireless c r a p
    better plug than unpluigged
    thats what i always say

10. Crustacean

Crustacean Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 Ultra AGP
    why would you say that?

The Logitech Mx1000 is the best there is IMO...really sweet even for gaming

11. ThePhreaker

ThePhreaker Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 5200Go fx
    Agree, wireless is sweet and the mx1000 is really awesome but again it really is just for gameing. If u really just want a standard mouse try this one Microsoft Wired Laser Mouse 6000 I use that for my laptop and ok it is from microsoft but there is no screen of deaths :p ;)

12. Crustacean

Crustacean Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 Ultra AGP
    Well I guess it would just depend on what the prime use of the mouse for the dude is...looking at his rig, I would say he's a gamer :)

The mx1000 is pretty good for general use as well, it has a pretty neat application switcher as well as a cool horizontal/vertical scroll features, so not completely a gaming mouse...frankly I was so awed by it I got one for work as well :)

13. 1stGuyNut

1stGuyNut Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 9800GTX+ 512MB
    MX518, nuff said.:thumbup:

14. ThePhreaker

ThePhreaker Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 5200Go fx
    Oh yeah crap his rig is for gamers lol... just for curiousity how much was ur rig with all that inside ? Seems to be powerful

15. Monkey5900

Monkey5900 Master Guru

GPU:
    Connect3d X1800XT 256MB @ Stock
    I too have that problem when powering up. It's nothing to do with the mouse you need to re-install and update your USB ports to 2.0. It's a power issue.

as for mouses, i would recomend the Razer Copperhead or the Logitech MX518 They're both quility mouses. But if you're left handed be aware that you can't use the MX series in your left hand. Razer Copperhead has good drivers also, enables you to assign keys, change sensitivity, double click time etc. I don't know about the MX series drivers but the MX510 or MX518 would be a good choice. Take your pick. I have a diamondback and i love it, it's a good mouse, but out of date now.

16. Scief

Scief Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 6800GT @Ultra
    The top models, G5, G7 (and Mx1000?) are expensive because they are the best. Because some people want the best no matter what, so manufacturers can charge more. You should know, you have 2x7800GTX's. I'm not sure if those mice have something that really makes them so much more expensive, but that's always the reason. Just compare the prices between A64 and the FX series or just something high end, or cars, or just brand and no-brand cereals.

The G1 isn't out of production, it's as new as G5, much newer than MX310/500. But does anyone know, why it's so hard to come by (not here in Finland though) and why it can be found from Logitech's site only by Google?

EDIT: Ok, I'm confused, now it is on Logitech's site! I didn't find it earlier today, and I checked it like 3 moths ago too... I clicked corded mice, and then all mice, looked it through and even used firefox's search. The site's own search found just two things, G15 and some news item, now it finds three, including the link to the G1. I don't understand...

17. martin2006

martin2006 Master Guru

GPU:
    onboard geforce 6100
    i've got an mx1000 and its the best mouse ive ever used..

when i bought it, it was £10 cheaper than the g5 and its cordless so that did it for me. was £50 about 4 or so months ago

18. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    How do I update my USB ports !? Please tell me I'm a noob!

19. AFK4Life

AFK4Life Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce 8800GT 512mb
    Logitech G5 FTW! And if you want wireless, Logitech G7.

20. Nave

Nave Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7800 GS EE 256MB @ 500/1400
    I have a Logitech G5 and it is simply amazing and worth the money. Great mouse.