About to buy a TFT-need opinion

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Ilmarin, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Ilmarin

Ilmarin Master Guru

GPU:
    POV 7800GTX 512 extreme
    hey all.

after tonsof thought i decided to finally leave the CRT era behind me and go TFT.soooo i found this baby here Samsung SM214T

21.3" view area
    response times 16(Tr+Tf) 8(Tg-g)
    max res 1600x1200 (native?)
    contrast 900:1

just a question or two....1.ive heard that any resolutions other than the native one look like utter and mangled crap due to streching.is that true?
    2.is the one i chose good for gaming response time wise?

thanks in advance

PS:up to now i made do with CRTs,so i dont know jack when it comes to TFTs therefore be kind with terminology :)

2. Ilmarin

Ilmarin Master Guru

GPU:
    POV 7800GTX 512 extreme
    dont mean to sound rude so pls forgive me if i do.when i wrote *about to buy* i meant i listen to your precious opinions then buy the thing first thing in the morning or look for sth else tonite then buy it in the morning also.so id appreciate a few replies.thanks

3. Pat the Cat

Pat the Cat Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia 6800 Ultra 425/1120
    Well mate, I couldn't find squat about the refresh rate. :(

However, I know a couple of people who really love their angle pivots Samsungs. Very very good contrast, and native res of 1600 X 1200 is very desirable if you have screaming fast game system like yours.

As for mangling onscreen graphics, they are much better than used to be. I have a flatscreen on reserve system that looks very good in 1280 X 1024, very good in 800 X 600, but rather blurry in 1024 X 768.

If all the res is just halved (800 X 600) that monitor you picked should still look fantastic, but not as good in between resolutions - it has to anti-alias and blur between pixels. All handled by circuitry inside the monitor. My TFT is 3 years old now, so I reckon you should find things have improved.

2 words of warning;

1) Cats have a really annoying habit of jumping on top of pivot monitors, breaking the pivot. If you have a cat, don't buy.

2) You might pick up Dell FPW2005 monitor for same price. Same res but widescreen (not so good contrast though).

EDIT: 8ms response time. Plenty fast for games.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
  4. Ilmarin

Ilmarin Master Guru

GPU:
    POV 7800GTX 512 extreme

well that sounds promising.thanks.and yea the reason im not going for a 19" or lower is my rig.i spent too much hard earned cash on it to limit my gaming res at 1280.as for your warnings.....
    1.i do have a cat but a smart one.when i replaced my crt tv for a flat plasma she jumped,slipped and dropped square on her butt.never jumped on it again ;)
    2.widescreen is not an option.i prefer traditional 4:3 asp ratios
    ps.im writing this on a sony sdm-x93 used on my dads pc.i can play sort of easy at native 1280 even though it has 25ms response time.so i suppose 16 is not too shabby :)

EDIT: refresh rates are:Vertical 56-75hz and horizontal 30-81khz

5. Pat the Cat

Pat the Cat Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8 ms, not 16. You shouldn't have any problems.

Fair enough, widescreen 24" won't fit on a lot of systems.

Suggest you either put cushions around it to cushion the fall or maybe see if pivot can be reinforced in some way.

Cats are smart but they only learn by trying - and a new perch is almost irresistable... ;)

6. Ilmarin

Ilmarin Master Guru

GPU:
    POV 7800GTX 512 extreme
    response times 16(Tr+Tf) 8(Tg-g)
    this was copy pasted from the official samsung product site.im assuming the 8ms are for grays? and 16ms for colour? at any rate it cant be too bad for gaming can it?

and yea....cats simply LOVE exploring and trying out EVERY new item that gets placed in their territory!inquisitive little devils hehe

7. Pat the Cat

Pat the Cat Ancient Guru

GPU:
  8. Ilmarin

Ilmarin Master Guru

GPU:
    POV 7800GTX 512 extreme
  9. Pat the Cat

Pat the Cat Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Right... so yes, 8ms black to white, 16ms colour to colour.

I wouldn't worry about it so much - chances are, running at 1600 X 1200 your frame rates will drop, so the 16ms full response time will not be so much of a problem.

I always say over 30FPS is OK for gaming. Would be very surprised if you rig didn't manage that on most games - might have an issue with Oblivion but that's not really GFX related, more HD speed related and you have RAIDed Raptors...

I reckon fine. Anyone disagree?

10. Ilmarin

Ilmarin Master Guru

GPU:
    POV 7800GTX 512 extreme
    i sure dont disagree.i just hope the vendor has it in black.heh
    thanks for all that info mate.i have my doubts bout going TFT but hey it has to be done.my crt is starting to present gamma and colour issues (sony cpd-E430 19") due to age you see.well im going for it!in the morning that is.
    oh and Oblivion is definately there.and after seeing it run on a tft i was like hell thats crisp.dunno how it runs on my rig tho.im NOT using that pc atm.im in greece visiting parents.tried the game here on a P4 northwood 3.2ghz 2gb ddr400 a 6600GT and a lousy IDE disk .all settings maxed except for distancing.all those set to min for obvious reasons.HDR on and 1280 res.indoor fps 25-110 outdoor 15-30 with rare dips to 3-5 which i relate to the lousy HD

11. Ilmarin

Ilmarin Master Guru

GPU:
    POV 7800GTX 512 extreme
    Update

got the SM214T and it rules!even in direct comparison with the sony tft i was talking bout.im very very happy.low res dont get too mangled either sooo im happy.thanks for pushing me the right way mate

12. Pat the Cat

Pat the Cat Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Glad you're happy. Just mind that pivot.

One trick you might try on it - switching graphics output by 90 degrees and read PDF's like a normal page of A4. Very handy when wading through an online manual.

13. Ilmarin

Ilmarin Master Guru

GPU:
    POV 7800GTX 512 extreme
    aye tried it already while goin through the monitor pdf for kicks.its very handy indeed.true enough if theres one thing i love as much as the image quality is that pivot.bit stiff to set the vertical angle at first but its great!
    widescreen 0-"tallscreen" 1

lol had a scare when i accidentally locked the OSD.silly me

ps.my model was manufactured in slovakia btw.VERY high quality and 0 dead pixels

Last edited: Apr 20, 2006