ATI 9800 - Driver Upgrade Pointless?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by FlipMoeJack, Apr 9, 2006.

1. FlipMoeJack

FlipMoeJack Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128 MB
    I'm on a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB, my brother is on a Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB.

Is there any point for the two of us to upgrade from Catalyst 5.13 to the newer 6.x drivers?

I ask this this because I'm unsure whether ATI is making driver changes with 9800 series in mind anymore. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion work on both machines, and both my brother and I desire drivers that are best for Oblivion. I can happily stay with 5.13s if there is really no reason for my to upgrade my drivers. Thank you for your time = )

2. Incoming

Incoming Active Member

GPU:
    2 Saphire 7970 3gb Xfire
    I am still running the 5.12's because 6.2 6.3 with no CCC ( used Ati Tray tools ) they didn't do any better than the 5.12's in all tests I did on my machine and my games ran just the same. I haven't tried any modified drivers on my machine to the left.

on my 2nd machine (XP2600 @ 2448mhz, 9600XT, 1gig ram) 5.12's scores were basically the same as 6.1-6.3 on all tests. Even Omegas modified driver.

tests:
    3Dmarks 01, 03, 05
    CSS

The only way to really know if the newer drivers will be better is to test them out.
    Even if you get better bench scores with the newer drivers, this doesn't mean they will perform better in games and visa versa.

Edit: Main reason Im still using the 5.12's is that I refuse to use the CCC, tried it, didn't like it!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2006
  3. SirKAm

SirKAm Member Guru

GPU:
    there is the fable shadow fix in on off the new cats.

4. beezee

beezee Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080Ti
    Hey FlipMoeJack,

No, you will definitly not see any performance increases with the new or future drivers using ATI's 9*** series cards. However you may get some bug fixes in certain games. You just need to look at the release notes. So I would just stick with the 5.13's:)

5. mthree984

mthree984 Member

GPU:
    9800XT

That is just not true. I tested out the 6.4 drivers today and noticed a huge performance boost in WoW. Not so much in HL2 but still a performance boost.
    I'm running a p4 2.4b w/ 9800xt

6. adv1

adv1 Member Guru

I have a 9800pro and I always install the latest drivers. But I had serious problems with the 6.3s, they caused my PC to constantly reboot before it reached the desktop.

I might give the 6.4s a go to see if the problem has gone. If not I'll stick with the 6.2s.

7. beezee

beezee Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080Ti

Well I'm glad your getting better perfomance in WoW, but I guarantee it is not related to the new drivers! There is only so much software can do to get the most out of your card and ATI drivers have reached their perfomance limits with the 9xxx series cards awhile ago. The performance boost you're seeing is some other mitigating circumstance.