Who else thinks modified drivers don't add crap to performance?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA Modified Drivers' started by glObalist, Mar 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. studabakahawk

studabakahawk Guest

GPU:
    2-SOC GTX 460 768 MB SLI
    relax dude

i said earlier , that i use modded drivers, as a base and i use riva tuner as a tool to fine tune it to my personel taste.
    i guess you do the same thing but use the nvidia sites drivers exclusively
    well i dont see any difference between what you do and anyone else here does.
    do you think we dont tweak these drivers ourselves once we get them in our hot little hands?
    some of us have jobs, and families as well which cut into the time we have to spend noodeling around with our drivers and whatnot. so for me i am greatful that someone is willing to ramp up a driver, or leak one from a good source for my gaming pleasure.
    and do it for free and not rant and rave about how special they are for doing it, for the common good.
    so to see you rant and rave about how dastardly they are to try and pass off their work on us sheep, is simply like watching someone bash their head against a wall, and frankly i think you should keep bashing away.
    it might allow some civility and poise too enter through what ever cracks are made by your efforts

2. repapips2004

repapips2004 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek A6600GT 128MB @ 500/1000
    Cheer up dude, your right about their. Im using an ORIGINAL NVIDIA DRIVER then customized it according to my taste. I just dont get why people used MODED DRIVERS then customize it... Why dont you use the ORIGINAL ONE? Theres no difference aside from INF and becomes useless cause your going to customize it the way you want...

So if your reason is simply, because you feel MODED DRIVERS gives you best performance and quality. That is SUBJECTIVE dude, and not OBJECTIVE/FACTS, then i will leave you with that reason. It yours...

Have fun...

3. S_Kinton

S_Kinton Ancient Guru

GPU:
    512mb 8800GT & 22" Samsung LCD
    Ive used modded drivers in the past, but now i just dont bother. I use the official nvidia ones and thats it, not betas, nothing - why?? Coz Ive never seen a benefit from using non-official drivers.

People get obsessed with ugrading/updating their pc and have to have the latest version of everything, 99% of the time they make f**k all difference, but people still get 'em. The other problem is that people post crap statements saying how great a driver is when its exactly the same as the previous one.

Just my opinion

4. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    XFX7600GTXXX Zalman Vf900
    Theres no such thing as a modded Forceware driver, its just an original forcware driver that somone has altered the settings from default settings to high performance or to high quality, i can do that myself faster than downloading the altered driver and istalling it. its pathetic that people think that somthing has been changed in the actual driver to give a quality or performance gain, ffs you all have Nvidia's control panel just use it instead of downloading these so called Modded drivers.

5. REGENERATI0N

REGENERATI0N Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    If you want to compare between drivers, you need to compare screenshots (image quality) as well. I can always add something that could blast your 3DMark scores up... with some IQ loss :)

6. Decon

Decon Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 460 SE
    Use what you Like and Like what you use!

NV or ATI drivers are an average of performance vs IQ. Average fits No One!

Modded drivers skew the curve to performance or IQ.

We all don't wear Size medium Sky-Blue-Pink underware now do we? :D

7. repapips2004

repapips2004 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Damn right SNYPER... Why dont they just allow us to download their INF, and not the whole driver. Because nothing is change aside from INF.

lol this people who believes that MODED DRIVERS gives better IQ or PERFORMANCE. HAHAHA, Its like SAME BRAND OF CANDY WITH DIFFERENT WRAPPERS.

8. Hobbla

Hobbla Member Guru

GPU:
    NVidia GTX 1080 FE
    Well since everyone is screaming about how you can make these tweaks in Rivatuner easily, anyone care to tell me which ones make the IQ not look like ass?

9. repapips2004

repapips2004 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Well with your baby, you can set INTELLISAMPLE and IQ to HIGH QUALITY. More you can slide LOD BIAS to NEGATIVE values (dont forget to select allow negative LOD BIAS)... Force HIGHER AA and AF accordingly...

You can do this thru RIVATUNER...

10. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Actually out of all drivers I tested the 82.65's work best for me and they're from nvidia, just set driver settings @ performance and use FSAA and Aniso then.

Other drivers gave me a better 3D Mark Performance but these seem to work best for me in games.

I tried some modified drivers and I suddenly even had 10 fps less =/

11. repapips2004

repapips2004 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Its better to try drivers on DIFFERENT VERSION, not on DIFFERENT MADE.

12. aqq

aqq Guest

repapips2004: get a life you sad tw&t. ppl like you piss me off. gimp.

13. ARSPR

ARSPR Member

GPU:
    8800 GTX 768 Mb
    I don't know why GURU people just don't use windiff:

1. MODIFIED DRIVERS are just the same exes and dlls than nvidia ones.

2. BUT there are A LOT of tweaked registry entries in the modified inf file. So you can't just set all these features with RivaTuner or nvidia driver front end (although if you are really brave you can allways use Regedit :) ).

3. Of course, if you reset driver settings, probably then you'll get the unmodified driver (with NO SETTINGS).

4. NEVER expect a performance or quality MEGA-boost. You will need a new card with Shader Model 5.6, DirectX 18 and software which uses it.

14. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees Banned

GPU:
    8800GT 512MB 684Mhz/1836Mhz/2088Mhz
    Well, I always use XG drivers because it saves me some time unlocking everything with rivatuner.
    I always use the same settings on my Nvidia control panel.

But it's true. Modified drivers don't give you better performance or better image quality.

There was a driver with the name "extreme quality".
    You know what they did?
    They changed the LOD settings. I can do that to...

Another trick, they turn Vsync off by default, and not "application controlled".

I just use them because then I don't have to unluck stuff...

15. repapips2004

repapips2004 Maha Guru

GPU:
    I do that before, but after i found out how MODIFIED DRIVERS really works, i stop using them. Now i am using an ORIGINAL DRIVER then modifiying settings through RIVATUNER, depending on my taste. Also, MODIFIED DRIVERS only works on GLOBAL SETTINGS, but if you try using different settings on every application, then USING A MODIFIED DRIVERS is useless.

You have a lot to learn NEWBIE before giving those comments. Many GURUs that used a MODIFIED DRIVERS before and now using an ORIGINAL DRIVER and tweaking them through FRONT END.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2006

16. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 3070
    sure, I don't notice higherr performance at all....

but it sure is smoother and better IQ...

17. TheRealZepher

TheRealZepher Guest

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    He's off again is he. MORE attention seeking from repapips2004.

If you don't like modded drivers...don't use them.

About time...Just move a long and let people use what they want. It doesn't hurt anyone so mind your business and get on with your life.

:rolleyes:

P.s. DO you have SOME sort of CAPSLOCK fetish OR something? It REALLY seems LIKE you DO. :p

Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  18. PoopyTheJ

PoopyTheJ Member Guru

GPU:
    X1800XT Crossfire Edition

Actually the DHzer0point Default to High Quality. I'm the author I should know. Also the Mod Authors put a lot of work into putting these out for people if you don't like them great. Others do. It's subjective and based on how each user wishes to run their PC. I prefer modding my drivers so that the IQ is increased without any performance hit. We seem to be succeeding. I'm sure other Modders will coninue to put out their drivers and see downloads in the tens of thousands as well. It's subjective, live and let live mate.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  19. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    I'd first off like to say that one day people like this thread starter are going to push people like Unwinder, PoopyTheJ, and all the other FREE software programers out there too far and they will just say F*CK YOU, GO DO IT YOUR OWN GOD DAMN SELF. If you don't buy into all this stuff then just don't ****ing worry about it. There is no reason for trying to convert everyone to what you believe. It's not going to work. It didn't work in the Crusades and it's not going to work here no matter what happens.

Ok, now that I've got that out of my system I would like to say that while I can't directly give anyone any proof that what I say is true, most that have been here for a while will know that I don't lie, at least not on purpose. I may have some misinformation evey now and then, but who doesn't. All right, on to what I have found for modified drivers. I will say that while some modified drivers are simply just modded INF drivers, different defaults, that not everyone is fooled by these and will pick up on that right away. Most, if not all, of the modified drivers that are well known arne't just INF changes, they have done something else, although I don't know what. I know this because when I run benchmarks, like in 3DMark05 and such, that I have every option the same, as far as I know at least. It's hard to tell on this 7900 GT since I can't use RivaTuner yet, BUT every option in nHancer is the exact same. LOD makes no difference since I have it clamped for everything, benching and for playing games. Whenever I switch drivers and see an increase in performance it's obviously something the drivers have done.

Some drivers are made for performance while some are for benching, as has already been stated. What you people need to realize is that even though modified drivers may not have any affect on performance, overall scores like 3DMark points and your average FPS, they will most likely affect the FPS of the game. Whether that means that your minimum FPS has decreased while your max has increased, or you spend more time at higher frames, you'd have to find out for yourself. When I look for modified drivers I really only have 2 preferences, but I would say there are 3 real categories. 2 for performance and one for IQ. The IQ one should be quite simple, what driver has the best IQ no matter what. The ones for performance may not be so easily distenquished to the average person. I have one for benchmarking, whichever driver gives me the absolute best performance overall, but the other one is something most people seem to just look over, MINIMUM FPS. That's the one I really like to concentrate on when I'm gaming. Which driver gives me the best minimum FPS. Of course IQ does matter, for this one, but unless it's horrendous I'm not going to worry about it. Minimum FPS is all that matters in games, and it's all that ever will matter in games. Any real gamer would know that.

I just had to look into this thread when I saw that it kept getting replied to on a daily basis. This is my $.02 for looking into the thread since you people just don't seem to get it, minus some of the posters in here. I didn't take my time to read every post since a majority of them were crap I just assumed that how the thread was going with a few defenders here and there.

EDIT: Thank god this got posted. Stupid thing decided that I was logged in, so I logged in and it said this was invalid. Ok, just had to post that as well.

Hopefully this post will as least bring this stupid thread to a halt.

20. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees Banned

GPU:
    8800GT 512MB 684Mhz/1836Mhz/2088Mhz
    Wich driver do you recommend for the best ( highest ) minimum fps?
    I use XG most of the time unless an other driver gets a lot of positive reviews.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.