Nvidia or ATi?! BE HONEST!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Revolution890, Apr 2, 2006.

?

What is a better graphics card for gaming, Nvidia or ATi?

1. Nvidia

69.2%
  2. ATi

30.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revolution890

Revolution890 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X1600 Pro 512mb
    I see. Sorry I didn't know that. Lets post in the ATi section now :D!

2. GODJOEY

GODJOEY Active Member

GPU:
    7900 GTX BFG oc & x1900xtx
    Just add this shortcut to the ati section but then of course it will just be fans all over the place. The real reason I wanted to go to ATI wasn't even about image quality cause as far as I knew Nvidia had the best everything. Speed and image quality.

But those x1900xtx 3dmark scores had me curious of course so that's all I was really expecting more bang for the buck. But I realized the image quality and less jitters and filtering and shimmering.

I'm surprised Nvidia doesn't bring out 2 sets of each driver, 1 for pure balance of performance and quality and 1 just pure quality. There has to be a preset way they can do it like ati does it. A perfect digital vibrance and image sharpening preset with a driver from nvidia.

3. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    nVidia. In my experiance, ATI has had some quality issues, which is why I switched to nVidia. Their drivers apparently suck too.

4. Revolution890

GPU:
    Sapphire X1600 Pro 512mb

5. Templ

Templ Guest

I thought nobody could run AA+HDR in Oblivion (and splinter cell), because the game would automaticly disable it.

I agree about ATI having a better AA though. 4xAA on both card is pretty much the same, but 6x AA on ATI is better. 8xS AA on Nvidia is pretty much unplayable, IMO (on single card). 4x TR SSAA is good enough for me though. I don't think 6x looks much better. At least 8x on Nvidia doesn't.

6. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    Looked at it. Might be a driver issue if it hasn't always been like that. Get 1gb or more memory too.

7. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    I must try one ATi card... seems juicy... lol Just to spice things up... :cool: Ive always had nVidia... just fell in love witht he first product, and then Ive went that path, but Im plannin on buying a "red" card eventually. ;) But I guess nVidia's SLI [and mobo's] are reallly good.... and came out before crossfire so they had some time to correct issues and stuff....

8. GODJOEY

GODJOEY Active Member

GPU:
    I don't think I'll ever sli since I would have to push both cards on ebay when the dx10's come out. I also notice the nvidia cards hold alot of value on ebay. People are all after that sli solution, I guess a vsync and 7900 gtx sli setup would trump anything right now. But as far as a single card solution for the $$$ the x1900 family really doesn't seem bad at all. Either way it's a safe bet whichever one you get will be a step up in performance and maybe quality. I didn't notice any quality or performance difference from 7800 gtx 512. Although the 3dmarks showed differences but in game experience and fps I didn't notice anything. BF2 karkand as the reference in some areas both cards topped out at 255 to 270fps. Lowest I have seen was 50 fps in a heavy 64 man battle. Used the 19" 2ms viewsonic 1280x1024 all settings maxed with 2x AA. Ya gotta sacrifice the aa a little if you are gonna go into those type of games.

I would still like to see peoples experiences in a 64 man IRON GATOR map on a 16 player map. Aircraft carrier fight, the fps goes so low it's not playable almost 20fps to 30fps constantly. Maybe sli would be good for that but 1000 dollars worth of cards and it may pull out 50 or so fps isn't worth it.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2006
  9. netnexus

netnexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870x2
    What the hell are you talking about? The refresh cycle is about 6 months, not every month.

And Wild is right, we don't need an ATi VS nVidia all the time.

I mean, look at what this thread has become:

GodJoey posted his own personal review.

Solofly attacked him assuming he was an "ati fanboy" like he does to everybody else who doesn't breathe gold about nVidia.

This thread is pointless and useless. If you want to find out which is "better" go read some reviews.

Oh, and solofly, I posted in a thread the other day clearly showing the X1900XTX beating 2x7800GT's in SLI some of the time, and equaling them in others. Hell, an X1900XTX beats a 7800GTXSLI in BF2! I got ALL my images from xbitlabs.com, so if you really *need* them from Godjoey, go there.

10. eat@joes

eat@joes Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD 6850
    All this talk, and nothing to show. Seems typical. Anything above 50fps in a game has my OK. And honestly, I turned AA completely off on both cards, played for a while, then turned everything back on. The only difference I've noticed is lag. Give me a break, arguing about 255 FPS Vs. 240 fps? Seriously, give these forums a break. If nVidia is $200 cheaper, and loses out by 15 frames per second, I'll take that one, because I know I will still play at the highest quality. I'd go with ATI in that case as well.

This thread is bunk.

11. GODJOEY

GODJOEY Active Member

GPU:
    Bunk... is that ghetto? Dats bunk dog, fo sho G!

12. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    I have been thinking about this, a lot of people have been saying that IQ on ATI card look better than Nvidia, but IQ in Nvidia cards are different for each driver, some version have bad IQ and some version have exceptional IQ (coupled with decreased performance may be ?) so how about compare IQ between ATI and Nvidia with known for best IQ drivers and see the different.

Anyway I looked at the website comparing IQ between ATI and Nvidia and noticed a few things:
    [​IMG]

This is an 3Dmark05 bug on the X1900XTX reported by techreport.com a while back.

[​IMG]

In this one the plant in the circle is almost invisible, how can that be called better IQ ?

13. dense_drummer

dense_drummer Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 6970
    It seems to fluctuate due to upcoming games. But which ever one is on top now, usually the other will combat with a newer better, sometimes cheaper version. But I can't say that I ever liked ATI. But that's just me.
    But Ruby (ATI Hottie) is FINE.

14. MB-SJ

MB-SJ Member

GPU:
    BFG GeForce™ 6800 GT 256
    Well it all depend on wat card your comparing but i have an Nvidia and im very satisfied but i have had a ati and it lasted a long time but it did start to be a bit faluty but that means nothing *my choice Nvidia for gaming and all around performance*

15. Drizzt

Drizzt Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 7800GT @ Stock OC
    I've never had a problem with the three nvidia cards I've owned and they have all overclocked very well. I would buy ATI if they had the price/performance king at the time when I decide to upgrade. Usually nvidia has the best price/performance card and thus I go with them.

16. NvidiaFreak

NvidiaFreak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7660D
    that a great point. ati is good but it lack of driver. u cant have your pc on all day with out having a VPU error. now nvidia i have my pc on for 7 days and never had a error and my games play the same.

now for ati i test a X1800 XT and a 7800 GT and i saw both are great but 7800 GT is much better do of Ultra shadow II and purevideo is OMG nice.

two: AA + HDR is not good for games since HDR rape your card and with AA on its going to rape it more unless its a next gen card.

three: more drivers comes out in beta which make nvidia good because they test bug out.

four: Ati is good in games but they do have fast speed but alot of bugs in games and VPU error comes out all the time which make me more piss.

17. cornbreadbreath

cornbreadbreath Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTX @ 615/1080
  18. GODJOEY

GODJOEY Active Member

GPU:
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30704 Image quality is known as well as it's performance.

"We like the Higher Quality AF filtering that the X1900 XTX does though. ATI’s HQ AF really helps with image quality in an outdoor game like BF2 when compared to NVIDIA’s way of doing filtering. There are a lot of angles to the ground textures in BF2 and having the filtering performed in ATI’s superior way can indeed provide a noticeably better visual quality and overall better gaming experience. You can find forum arguments all over the Net about Red Vs. Green when it comes to texture filtering, but this is one situation where ATI’s technology clearly leads in the real-world gaming experience battle"
    - hardocp.com
    http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTAwMSwxMCwsaGVudGh1c2lhc3Q=

The list can keep going on and on. I just hope someone can boost the quality of nvidia drivers for better IQ. I know the hardware is there to be used instead it's not.

Ya gotta experience the image quality first hand, and as everyone knows a simple screenshot will not capture the shimmering of the Nvidia cards now does it =). So you can take your 3dmark05 screenshot of a glitch lol and put that away. Zoom in enough and you will find alot of problems with all cards graphics. Bottom line is Nvidia isn't known for image quality.

gg

Also if anyone finds that screenshot of FAR cry comparison of quality it would shut up anyone. The shadows of nvidia is just blocked no detail, it can keep going on I'll find the shots.

19. Revolution890

GPU:
    Sapphire X1600 Pro 512mb
    Isn't speed more important than quality when wanting to be a better gamer...

I mean sure quality is nice and easier on the eyes, but if you want to get more frags, isn't nVidia the way to go?

20. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    You guys suck, I spent 15 minutes writing my first post and only 1 person quotes it..... Anyways, to those who say Nvidia image quality is bad; I experimented a little bit with my 6800GT last night, and I must say that I'm happy as a cow now that someone reminded me of the image sharpening tool of Nvidia. So, this is what I did:
    1.I first went to Nvidia control panel and clicked the color correction tab.
    2.Next, I moved the Digital vibrance slider about 25% to the right.
    3.Then, I moved the image sharpening slider to the right as little as it can go.
    4.I observed. Windows desktop seemed a bit fuzzy at first, especially the text since the letters seemed so sharp, but i got used to it in 5 minutes. I then started up a game: CS:S. HOLY CRAP!!! Everything seemed a lot sharper than before; it may be that I'm only paranoid, but I don't really care, because what I saw (and still see ;)) is fabulous.
    If ATI really has image quality surpassing what I'm looking at now, then you can sign me in as a new member of the ATI fanboy club.... (...but the thing is, I highly doubt it) :)

P.S. This was with Forceware 84.21 WHQL, and of course: HIGH IMAGE QUALITY ;)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.