6800gs slows down in games

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Jodean, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Jodean

Jodean Active Member

GPU:
    Evga 6800GS CO@ 510/1200
    Ive never had any problems until now, worked for 3 months.

About half way through the round in BF2 SF i go from about 60 fps down to 20-25 fps. What is going on, is it throttling or what, how would i loose 40 fps???

2. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

sounds like its throttling

whats the temps like?

3. rioter

rioter Member

GPU:
    ASUS EAH4850
    Does it do it in any other game or just BF2? I have exactly the same problem but it's with BF2 only. I get 15 FPS constant, doesn't matter if its a firefight or I'm stearing at a wall. I've tried all different IQ's and resolutions but it doesn't make a difference. In Quake 4 I can play all day with Ultra Quality 4xAA @1280*1024 without any hickups or slowdowns.

I don't get whats wrong with the damn BF2, it did work fine for a few days, then it just made it so I have only 15 fps.

I've tried diff. drivers, cleaned up my hard drive, checked for viruses and spyware but nothing helps. It's quite frusturating.

4. IM0001

IM0001 Guest

GPU:
    PNY 780 GTX
    im pretty sure that happened to me too once on my 9800pro..
    im guessing its kind of like a memory leak. The game will slow down more and more or something... Only happened to me once though. Reboot and new drivers and i never saw it again. hmm

5. Jodean

Jodean Active Member

GPU:
    Evga 6800GS CO@ 510/1200
    Yes.... you are correct, sir!!

The only thing i just changed is switching from 1gb and 2x512mb memory to 2 1 gb chips.

They heat up like crazy!!! When i started getting 20fps in bf2 i quit the game and immediatly ran SiSandra memory bench test and i was getting half the throughput as normal.

How exactly do i fix this?? I know on cpu you can up the voltage to lower the temp, but i already had the memory running at a tick above stock setting. Do i lower the voltage or what do i do????

Guess i could always mount a fan there by the dimm slots......

6. Brian the King

Brian the King Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3080 Ti OC
    Wait, if the memory is overlocked... then set it stock. Makes sense, right?

7. Jodean

Jodean Active Member

GPU:
    Evga 6800GS CO@ 510/1200
    Its not oced. its pc3500 running at 433, but it still gets too hot. right now i have it at stock voltage and its doing fine, but havent done an hour test yet.

It is cheaper memory so it may just get hot.....

Oh, ic what ur saying, no the tick above stock was the voltage because thats what it took to run my pc3200 at 433. I know.... i had really good 3200 memory to run at 433, i just got lucky with that. But both these 1gb chips are pc3500 and SHOULD run at 433, i do have the timings slightly tightened though...

Last edited: Mar 29, 2006
  8. Brian the King

Brian the King Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3080 Ti OC
    Well w/e, that's what I mean, don't you think you should unwind the latency a little [to stock] if you're having trouble with cheap RAM that's overheating?

9. Jodean

Jodean Active Member

GPU:
    Evga 6800GS CO@ 510/1200
    NOOOO thats not how u fix it...... MORE POWER.... aahhahahahhahahahha!!!

Or a fan....

10. Jodean

Jodean Active Member

GPU:
    Evga 6800GS CO@ 510/1200
    wow!!! i thought that fan was a dumb idea.

before you could barely hold your fingers on the ram, now its cool as can be.

I took a case fan and it sits right on the heat spreader spanning both ddr chips and is held in by a rubber band going from the white "ears" of the dimms slots and it works great!!!! Cant beleive that a fan makes that much difference. And it looks pretty good too, almost like the retainer holding the cpu cooler on, quite ingenius i may add.....

11. Brian the King

Brian the King Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3080 Ti OC

BAAHAHAHH LMAO can you even tell a DIFFERENCE with lower latencies? lmao, good for you figuring a nice little cooling system out.

12. Jodean

Jodean Active Member

GPU:
    Evga 6800GS CO@ 510/1200
    Yes theres a huge difference if your running dual channel 433 like i am.

My memory throughput goes from 4100mb/s to 5850mb/s

I went from the stock 2.5-4-4-10 to 2.5-3-3-5

Yes, timings are everything, it didnt used to matter when there was pc133 ram and no dual channel.

By the way, only most boards within the last year will actually utilize dual channel, most have been around for years with dual channel but they are not utilizing it like the newer boards do, actually its the chipsets on the boards, the new nvidea chipset is acutally using it. They used to say it was about an 2% increase and they were right, but the new chipsets give about a 10-15% increase....

13. hartofalyon

hartofalyon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 9800 GT 512mb
    umm, not really. dual/single channel is governed by the cpu, since athlon 64's have integrated memory controllers.

don't really get what you mean by past dual channel boards not fully utilizing it. perhaps you mean athlon xp's? where the fsb at 400 practically makes dual channel negligible. dual channel was possible by the nforce 2 chipset. but now athlon 64 have integrated memory controllers so the chipset doesn't matter when it comes to having dual channel.

14. Jodean

Jodean Active Member

GPU:
    Evga 6800GS CO@ 510/1200
    Well, this link here shows how u can gain 5 fps by using low latency memory

http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/01/19/ups_and_downs/page6.html

i cant find the article about the dual channel and the older boards, but it is true and i was reading about it about a month ago. nforce2 chipset is what i used to have and it did not really utilize the dual channel even though all these older boards stated dual channel, it just was being used properly.....

If i find the article with benchmarks i will post it but i cant remember where i found it.....

the old dual channel boards were only getting about 2% increase over normal memory and now the new boards or cpus or whatever i cant remember off hand what it was but its getting 10-15% over the single channel normal mode.

This one shows how there is little improvement on the old boards

http://www.tomshardware.com/2003/11/07/cost/page12.html