Pagefile setting with new ram.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Cochise, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Cochise

Cochise Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 7800gt OC
    What should I set my pagefile to with 4gigs of ram? Also I set large system cache since I have so much.

2. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

4gbs is alot of ram.

i would set it to 1gb.. but paging out 4gbs of data....

3. Cochise

Cochise Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 7800gt OC
    So Initial 1gb maximum 4gb? Would this get fragmented alot? EDIT Im trying to optimize it for gaming so tring to configure it to access the pagefile less.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2006
  4. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    I believe there is a sticky around here somehwere talking about this. No sticky, but here is a great link. Try the search feature next time.

5. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

i used to just disable it, delete it and reenable it when it became fragmented but now i just use perfect disk

6. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    I say leave it at "system managed".

7. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

^ agree with Glidefan, thats what i do... only prob with that is you end up with a 4.7gb pagefile...

8. Cochise

Cochise Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 7800gt OC
    Yeah thats huge. I will try 2gigs like the tweake guide recommends. thanks for all your help.

9. Syncrod

Syncrod Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 G-OC
    i have 1gb ram and i have disabled my pagefile

10. Cochise

Cochise Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 7800gt OC
    How is your system running? Stable? That tweak guide says never disable it.

11. Cochise

Cochise Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 7800gt OC
    Anyone know the benefits of the pagefile? I know windows stores things for memory, but why doesnt it go straight to ram?

12. PrinceGaz

PrinceGaz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GF8800GTS 640MB @ stock
    Never disable your pagefile regardless of how much RAM you have as it can cause Windows to become unstable.

With 4 gigs of memory, I'd recommend the pagefile is set to 1gig minimum on a rarely used drive, even if it is the slowest drive in your box (as the pagefile will rarely be accessed for anything time critical), and a maximum size of no less than 4gigs to ensure there is always enough virtual memory regardless of what you are doing.

Lots of memory is no reason to dump the pagefile, in fact Windows can still usefully use it to speed up disk access by leaving recently accessed files there.

13. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

the pagefile :)

ahh how to explain this....

When you load a game... it actually forces things out and into the pagefile to allow full access to the game.

it only keeps core windows components in ram at this point, unless of course theres no enough space in ram.. at this point it forces that to pagefile as well.. which can end up causing BSOD if it runs out of space in pagefile

14. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    Windows can't really access much more than 3 gigs of ram installing 4 gigs is just a waste. Just let windows manage your swap file it won't be using much anyway

15. Cochise

Cochise Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 7800gt OC

16. TheGamer

TheGamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900GTX 512MB GDDR3 @
    just give some load on your machine and see the "Peak" value under "commit charge" in the performance tab of your task manager ...... set the value of pagefile 300~500 MB more than the stated peak value ...... i have 1GB and i keep my pagefile (both init. and final value at 900MB)

17. deathvirus

deathvirus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 MaxQ 8GB
    I've my pf set to just 512 MB ..... i think that makes the OS load more into the ram than the pf ....

Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  18. Syncrod

Syncrod Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 G-OC
    i have no stablitity issues with windows
    never had any before

when windows finishes loading task manager report 154M/924M commited charge

however certain games (BF2, F.E.A.R., Quake 4, Doom3, etc) i have to set texture level to medium or low (i the case of Quake 4/Doom3 just the overal graphics to high quality [not ultra]) since they use up the remaining ram and usually exit when memory is finished.
    i can however set a 256mb pagefile to fix this, but i dont like the stuttering when a game is loading so i just drop the texture til i can get some more ram(a extra 1gb kit will fix this). PLUS!!! i have an extra 1.5 GB is hd space available for usage :)

point is i dont like my pagefile so i'm working around it.

19. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

nope, it doesn't matter how much you set page file to it'll still load into it unless windows is told not to.

you can force windows core system files to stay resident in memory

20. SorienOR

SorienOR Guest

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    Why even bother with 4gb on 32 bit windows..you can't have access to all of it.