Who else thinks modified drivers don't add crap to performance?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA Modified Drivers' started by glObalist, Mar 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glObalist

glObalist Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980ti Gamin
    Based on a suggestion from another forum I tested the new XG drivers against some nVidia ones. Here is the results, the difference in performance between the various drivers being well within what I call "benchstatistical error":

AquaMark03: 63019
    3DMark05: 4166

XG driver
    AquaMark03: 62877
    3DMark05: 4171

84.24 (the "Oblivion" driver)
    AquaMark03: 62569
    3DMark05: 4161

I don't know how about others, but in my book this does not translate to a measly one frame per second difference.

Yes I did use DriverCleaner and all the necessary procedures in between the various driver installs.

And yes, based on these and other results from the past I think this driver-tweaking business is a hoax no matter how many people claim OMGZ MY FRAMERATE WENT UP A GAZZILION FPS AND TEH IQ IS UBAR!!!!111 BST DRIVER YET1111!!!!ONEELEVEN

Discuss.

2. MetalFox

MetalFox Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 DCII
    Well hello dude.

The optimisations may not show in synthetic benchmarks.

Even if it would be just one fps more but it would be more stable it would look helluva lot' better.

Yeah drivers wont affect that much, it's true but we all are perfectionists ; )

3. JimmyFox

JimmyFox Master Guru

GPU:
    2x ATi Radeon HD4830 CF
    I agree with globalist. I 've used many modified drivers but resulted to no performance increase. Tweaking the configuration of the grafix card myself, gave the same, or sometimes better, results than a modified driver.

4. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    All modded drivers can do is change the default settings and, maybe, enable some specific options. Like specific options for 6 or 7 series, which nvidia cannot do, as they have to support all the cards - well, they can, they just don't care.

The coolest modded driver I've seen, claimed to have HL2 optimizations. And when I looked in the included hl2 ini file, there were just key bindings :D

5. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

optimised drivers are useless.

6. wolf68k

wolf68k Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 6800GS 256MB AGP 400
    I've seen a performance boost in not just synthetic benchmarks but also in game benchmarks using modded drivers, but only with the Ztweaked drivers.
    The XG drivers showed lower performance in synthetic benchmarks, I never did a proper real game benchmark with them.

ZTweaked 84.20
    3DMark03=9779
    3Dmakr05=4407
    Aquamark=52,687

XG 84.20
    3DMark03=9612
    3DMakr05=4297
    Aquamark=52,135

nVidia 84.20
    3DMark03=9648
    3DMakr05=4303
    Aquamark=52,045

I didn't remember to do real game benchmarks until I went to compare Ztweaked 84.12 to Ztweaked 84.20 to nVidia 84.21 (which I'm still using).

Some people give Z crap about his modded drivers, but I don't have a problem with them, it's just that for now I'm sticking with nVidia's 84.21 is all.

7. dmh165638

dmh165638 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 7900GTX EGS
    I for one look for graphics quality improvements from the modded drivers over fps. I used the dhzeropoint for quite some time because for me they had the best graphics quality but have since switched to XG because they come out with the modded drivers the quickest after release.

8. keyfreak

keyfreak Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire toxic 5850 1GB
    I have tried both the xg's and z-tweaked and I always have to go back to the standard un-modded drivers. I don't know if it's just my vid card or what, but I've never gotten any performance to write home about from them so to speak.

9. WontonNoodles

WontonNoodles Member

GPU:
    MSI GeForce4200Ti 128Mb
    Well, I have a 4200Ti and modded drivers give me a 20 fps boost in games such as CSS, HL2, and Doom 3. I use DHzeropoint right now, but im not sure if the others are better.... I will test them later. In my opinion, benchmarks are just specs, you have to go into the game to see if the driver changes anything, the benchmark score might be lower, but the gaming experience might be better (quality of the models or textures or the framerate of the game). To me GFX card benchmarks are not that important, only CPU banchmarks are to me.

10. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    Man, it's not just about FPS, it's about IQ, too. And when you can get the same FPS (or a bit more) with more IQ and smoothness, I don't think you can complain—certainly not when it comes to losing half a point in synthetic benchies that are theoretical.

11. evak

evak Member

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2060 OC
    messing around with drivers can give you boosts in certain areas and games at the expense of others, stability or whatever. Just comes down to what you want to use them for. You might get lucky or you might not :)

12. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    XFX7600GTXXX Zalman Vf900
    How do you spell Placebo is that right?

Download all the modded drivers and install em 1 at a time, then open NV control panel and click Restore so the drivers back to defaults, then go and compare em to the originals and prove to me the Modded drivers have better image quality or Performance when all run at defaults.

Placebo placebo placebo. :)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2006
  13. The_AC

The_AC Guest

GPU:
    R9 390X
    I'd like to point out that modded drivers are supposed to get worse scores in benchmarks.

14. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I remember a few month's ago when tweaked drivers actually worked... but atm I tried some and my fps was actually worse.

15. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    They make no diffrence as soon as you press the Restore button and have the modded drivers running Global driver defaults.

If they were faster in games at "Global driver Defaults" then i would defo start using them, but if you think about it when you overclock you dont see that much of a FPS increase do you?

I know there are modded drivers that offer better support for newer cards, but theres no way a modded driver can offer you 20fps extra in games, all thats being done is everything in the mod comes in performance mode which you can do yourself in the control panel with the original whql drivers.

16. WontonNoodles

WontonNoodles Member

GPU:
    MSI GeForce4200Ti 128Mb
    Well, I was using 84.20 and I played CSS and DODS and it gave me an average of 20 fps. After I installed DHzeropoint's latest driver, I played CSS and DODS again and I realized that it gave me a pretty good performance boost (average of about 35 fps). But maybe it is because my gfx card is an old one (4200Ti) and that the drivers have less impact or effect on the IQ or performance on the 6 or 7 series'? I dun know.

17. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:

They will do if you just install your drivers and go play a game, but if you go to your NV control pannel youll notice that Image settings has been moved from Quality to High Performance, and there'll be a few other things changed that you could of done yourself with the whql drivers of the same model.

18. xSLIX

xSLIX Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 WCSWIFTECH
    imo modded drivers r poop poop lol just stick to beta n reg drivers n use rivaturner to tweak driver urself

19. shades3k

shades3k Guest

GPU:
    ATI 4870 512MB
    Where performance is gained, IQ is lost. Simple as that. None of the modified driver "teams" have access to anything other than opening a few files in notepad. They can't code optimisations in drivers like the manufacturers do, thats all low level and so complex itd make our brains melt.

Alas, rant over.

20. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    just open rivatuner after installing mod driver and you can see all the changes that were made to it over the stock ones assuming you use rivatuner enough to know what defaults normally are.

remember that drivers tweaked more for I.Q. will get worse benchmarks, if you want high scores just open riva tuner and change things like LOD and everything to max performance....DUHHHH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.