Strange problem with PC....

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by CraptacularOne, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Hello again gurus, I have a problem that is baffling me. OK specs are to the left, however recently (today as a matter of fact) my PC wont keep the OC after I shut it down. Let me explain, I drop my multiplier to 11 and my CPU freq. I raise to 240 (11x240 = 2.64Ghz) and set my HTT to 4x (4x240 = 960 or 1920HTT) This was all fine with no problems, I pass prime 95, mem test is OK, and I can run countles loops of 3Dmark06 with not even a hitch at those clocks. But as soon as I shut it down it's all gone? And yes I select save to CMOS in the bios. Yet when I go to power it on the computer hangs and everything is reset (no beeps or anything) Any help or suggestions would be greatly welcomed, thanks.

2. martian1097

martian1097 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6970 HAWK
    I had a similar problem once caused by a faulty battery on board, but it would boot up fine, just a reset cmos. They only cost about £1, worth a try

3. I don't think it's the battery, and I'll tell you why. I can save anything else I do, such as disable my onboard sound, or turn off cool n quiet. I thought it was the battery at first too, but if I can save other settings, then it just doesn't make sense. As soon as I change anything with the multiplier, HTT, or CPU freq. this happens.

4. martian1097

martian1097 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6970 HAWK
    I know with asus boards that if you have certain settings on auto it can reset other oc settings but I dont know if this applies to bfg? is everything on a manual setting?

5. No most of everything else is set to auto. The only things I tinker with are the dram settings, the CPU settings, HTT, voltage, multiplier and cool n quiet settings.

6. martian1097

martian1097 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6970 HAWK
    I suppose if it only started today that cannot be it anyway:(

7. Yes but it is really bothersome, if I want any OC I have to put them in everytime I turn the PC on! What a pain in the @ss! Any other Ideas???

8. Anyone?.........

9. Jeng

Jeng Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA nvidia 9800
    Pain in the ass if this doesn't work, but get rid of all your auto settings.

Or maybe flash to a different bios?