7800GS AGP Question

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by phathead, Mar 19, 2006.

1. phathead

phathead Member

GPU:
    GeForce FX 5700
    I recently purchased a 7800GS AGP (thinking it would be a great uprade from my old FX 5700)

I used this as a reason to reformat my computer, and bout 2 hours ago today I got things back up and running.

However when I start up games, I play mainly NR2003 from papy, my graphics are far far worse than they ever were on my 5700.

I have all updated drivers on mobo, card, etc. Now i'm wondering if its something more than that.

System specs
    Gigabyte GA-7n400-L
    AMD Athlon XP 3200+
    1GB ram
    420 W PS (420ATX-12V Turbolink)

Thanks in advance

2. zcubed

zcubed Guest

have u tried changing the graphics settings in the actual game?

3. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    yeah thats a good start
    and its an old game by todays standard

4. phathead

phathead Member

GPU:
    GeForce FX 5700
    oh yeah, i've tried every variation i can think of. i also play trackmania quite a bit, but my FPS aren't near as good in there as i woulda thought. the NR one is more important as i have a couple league races comin up this week :p

i'm gonna reinstall doom3 here and see what i get on that.

these were my 3d mark 05 scores

[​IMG]

5. PineMangoes

PineMangoes Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7800 GS XXX edition @stock
    Hi,

your 3d mark score is normal, so you shouldn't be experiencing any real trouble with your games. If the bad iq/fps also occur in other games, you might want to consider a format c: or trying the beta 84.20 drivers (uninstalling the old driver with drivercleaner, of course). Good luck!

6. Nob22

Nob22 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 560 GTX TI 930/4380
    You might be having PSU problem because yours looks borderline to me.

7. phathead

phathead Member

GPU:
    GeForce FX 5700
    i just reformatted my HD last nite, and I am using the 84.20 drivers

the PSU is what i was thinking too possibly, but i don't want to go out a buy that if i don't need it.

i've discovered it runs Doom 3 pretty well, trackmania ok (woulda thought i could max things out a bit, its kinda jerky) and my NR game is still crappy

8. QuadCannons

QuadCannons Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 210
    It's not your Powersupply. My 350W was fine for a 7800GS overclocked to 480/1400 from 375/1200. And that score is pretty good for a 7800GS at stock speeds, especially considering the low CPU score.

9. Razorfinger

Razorfinger Active Member

GPU:
    PNY Verto GeForce 6600 256MB
    The 7800GS is based on newer graphics technology not meant for your old game. I think that is the main reason behind your problem. Try some newer games like AOE3 and if you get around 30 FPS with Very High Shadows & Shaders, then you're good. Plus, it seems to me like you have a good score from 3DMark05.

10. Maviryk

Maviryk Member

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GS CO Superclock 256mb
    Make sure your card isn't throttling due to it's cold bug. Go into the temps and keep the card above 38C and it will run just fine. That score seems normal for stock though. You should see 7000 or more if you OC.

11. phathead

phathead Member

GPU:
    GeForce FX 5700
    the temps run bout mid 40s or so. sometimes a bit higher than that.

if the card won't work with this game, i might as well send it back. that is easily the main game i play, namely because Papy shut down and i don't have time for many other games.

that aside, if i do keep it how would i go about OC'ing it?

12. PineMangoes

PineMangoes Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7800 GS XXX edition @stock
    Your psu might be the cause, check on the casing how many amps on the +12V; you should have at least 18-20A. Secondly, to oc your card, use coolbits or atitool (loads of information about ocing on thic forum, no need for me to rehash it all)

13. phathead

phathead Member

GPU:
    GeForce FX 5700
    mine says 18A. like i said, i think its this game specifically which is makin me frustrated to say the least

14. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    Make sure to set everything to high quality in the driver settings (if you haven't already)

15. QuadCannons

QuadCannons Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 210
    Have you asked on NR2k3 forums to see if anyone else has these problems? 2003 wasn't that long ago, doesn't make sense for them not to have future vid-card compatiblity.

16. phathead

phathead Member

GPU:
    GeForce FX 5700
    i'll try that grom

i've done that quad, just waitin now. i know a ton of people who run 7 series cars with the game so i can't understand how it wouldn't be compatable

17. phathead

phathead Member

GPU:
    GeForce FX 5700
    using the game Trackmania, i ran it under the same settings as my old FX 5700 and got just about the same FPS as i did on my old card. Only difference is i could max it out and get about 15-20 FPS.

when i bought this i assumed that i would at least be able to max out NR. i mean i read reviews on the exact product of people being able to max out F.E.A.R and stuff so i'm a lil confused as to why this is happening

18. QuadCannons

QuadCannons Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 210
    Try clearing your CMOS jumper on your motherboard, it'll set everything in the BIOS to default. That's what helped me with a 7800GS that I had.

19. phathead

phathead Member

GPU:
    GeForce FX 5700
    CMOS? lol 'fraid i don't play around with computers well enough to know what that is

20. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    You can just reset your bios. There must be an option to do that in your bios. Make sure to set your AGP aperture size to 256mb when you've done that (I suddenly had some performance issues once long ago...resetted bios: all was good again)
    Hope it works.