suspiciously cheap 7800GTX 512s on ebay

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by meatfestival92, Mar 16, 2006.

1. meatfestival92

meatfestival92 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 9800 GTX @ 815/2078/1180
    At the moment, 7800GTX 512s are usually selling for more than £300 on ebay. I was keeping an eye on these auctions, but resisted putting in a bid. Something didn't seem right.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8781478697&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8781478478&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8781478289&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8781477887&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

There seem to be a lot of sellers from China & Taiwan etc that list items for the UK. A while ago I bought some Sony headphones and a mouse from one of them, which turned out to be fakes. The mouse broke. Not surprising considering what I paid for them.

I can't see how you'd be able to get a counterfeit geforce, but I'm still not convinced these auctions were genuine. The seller's feedback and the bidders' IDs are kept private. Surely anyone would have set a sensible reserve price for something like that? What do you all think? Did the seller list the items in good faith, expecting to get higher bids, but people weren't trusting enough to bid that much?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2006
  2. tibbar

tibbar Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x BFG 8800GTX 768MB SLI
    feedback set on private? hah don't waste your time on these.

3. JxL

JxL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMR FirePro Dual D500
    he hasnt even taken a real picture so dont bother.

4. Dup

Dup Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 640MB SC
    These auctions are always very dodgy, seena lot of them. If you can pay via paypal then you're fine, becasue if anything happens you have paypal to refund you upon dispute.

This is why you see many auctions that will only take wire transfer or escrow.

5. crkwhr

crkwhr Member Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080ti sc2
    Remember the old rule. If its too good to be true it probably is.

6. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GeForce 6800GT, OCed
    Unless you just have too much money and need to unload some of it to make room for other stuff, DON'T EVER BUY ELECTRONICS FROM ERAPE!!!

Never. I mean, not ever. Not even once.

I have seen very few people get what they paid for when going that route, and I have seen some gear that was obviously overclocked to the rafters and which was then sold when the performance got too poor.

Some people make a living on their eBay scams...the site is more like a swap meet in the barrios than it formerly was.

And since PayPAL was bought by the eBay folks, fewer people are getting their money back when they get burned. Check around the Web for "Fake USB Drives" and see how many fools got suckered into getting "a real goooood deal" and how few have any recourse.

RAM, CPU's, vid cards, MOBOs....never buy them from any auction site.

If you have too much money, I'll PM you my mailing address!! :dave:

7. Solinari

Solinari Guest

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr
    Very dodgy indeed, and after i saw 'private' feedback, that confirmed it for me, scam, or something is not quite right.

Oh and hello everyone, just registed. See you around :)

8. tibbar

tibbar Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x BFG 8800GTX 768MB SLI
    welcome!
    enjoy your stay :D

9. Donar

Donar Member

GPU:
    Leadtek GeForce 6800 GT 256MB
    why ebay dont stop the "private" auctions or whatever it calls - i think solong ebay gets the money they ignore it.
    it should be ebays responsability to take care that everything is clean.

hope u understand what i m tryin to say.

greetz

10. meatfestival92

meatfestival92 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 9800 GTX @ 815/2078/1180
    just noticed the seller only had "other" for accepted payment methods. Most likely a scam.

11. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Trust people? I stopped doing that thing years ago.

12. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    hey! i just sold two 12 pipe pci-e 6800 leadteks on ebay i got 1oo usd apiece. i had good pics but no boxes cus there coffe cups now lol.also games and a 430 watt ps i through in.those cards run like new, i cleaned them and stuff,like my kids! ran so cool in summer, central air was like a frigerater. sure i o/ced for a bench or two ,but stock clocks in games.what was i to do? i upgraded to two 6800gs ,now im tryin to sell those(set only) because i just recieved my frist 7900 gt.i'll put them on escam.pay pal only!never buy overseas without it i would say.you just gotta be careful.

ps.130usd for one 6800gs leadtek extreme two months old with warrenty still and boxes a bad deal?cus there is good guys still out there you know

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    hm... just sold my 7800gt on ebay for £145!!! BUT!!! I've been in contact with the buyer a few times, have history anyone can see and am always open to discussion with the buyers... If there's someone from Thaiwan selling peanuts-cheap 7800gtx with a private feedback and some other fishy stuff going on, it just all adds up! Don't even think of buying from people like that... I got burnt on ebay once and will never fall for scammy auctions anymore!

14. gamester5

gamester5 Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA 480 SC
    Those scams are getting more common now on E-Gay. They had a ton of Athlon X2 4800+ on there the other day. All were set up on 1 day auctions and all feedback was private. They lasted like 8-10 hours before E-bay took them off. All were from China via UK payment. Have seen a few pop up once in a while since then and now they show feedback of 10. But you look at the feedback and they dont say anything, it is all fake feedback as well. Anytime you see something on e-bay that wont take paypal of bidpay RUN THE OTHER WAY!!!

15. 3dsage

3dsage Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GT 512MB
    Might be real this week I recently won a x1800xl for 200$ new.The guy only had one feedback. I took the plunge sweated it out cause he never replied to my email after for like 3days after I paid I was going to dispute it today but the UPS guy showed up today and behold a brand spanking new x1800xl and on top of that it has 1.4ns ram OH YEAH deal of the century.

To bad Newegg has sent me two bad motherboard in a row WTF.

But yeah Might be legit. Its up to you to risk it though