Windows XP

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by scorpion, Mar 16, 2006.

1. scorpion

scorpion Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GeForce 6800GT Golden Samp
    I recently bought a HP laptop and it came with Windows XP Professional w/ SP2. I have another XP Pro cd though it doesn't have SP2 on it, and i'd like to reformat my desktop, can i use the XP Pro Sp2 CD that came with the laptop on my desktop machine? It's not a recovery CD it's the actually OS the rest of the applications etc for HP are on a application DVD.

Thanks

2. dominant1

dominant1 Guest

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    If its a restore disk of xp pro with service pack 2 its for your notebook only. If its a bonified microsoft xp sp2 cd no way you can use it, because when you registered the os with microsoft your notebook hardware picture is what's online with microsoft servers. As soon as you tried to register that copy with your desktop, microsoft servers will recognize the difference and deny the installation. Talk about big brother, you can thank software piracy thieves for Microsofts's stance! You can no longer get service pack 2 alone unless you have a legit copy of the os not installed on any other pc.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2006
  3. scorpion

scorpion Master Guru

GPU:
    Ok, Thats werid, i know of a few people who have Win XP Sp2 and are able to install it on more than one machine and are able to activate and validate etc. It's not a recovery CD. It's the actually OS, the applications and other stuff are on another DVD.

4. Audiophile426

Audiophile426 Active Member

GPU:
    XFX Geforce 7900 GT EXTREME 565/755
    Is it a HP OEM copy of xp. Usually with brand specific oem disks you can't it activated on other non HP computers.

5. scorpion

scorpion Master Guru

GPU:
    Well, it certainly doesn't look like the Windows XP cd you buy. It's a grey cd with white background and it says "Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2". I haven't actually formated the laptop yet, i might format it and see what the installation puts on.

Spoke to a mate of mine who has the same laptop and said he used the HP XP pro sp2 cd to reformat his desktop and says it works. So i guess it does work? Makes it so much easier than installing SP2 after.

6. bakuryu

bakuryu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 6600LE @ 430/490
    I think if you use the Xp SP2 disk that came with your laptop, for installing on the Desktop PC, you just won't have any problems. Just remember to give your original CD key (that came with your non SP2 Windows disk), at the time of installation.

Otherwise download SP2, and nLite and make a slipstream CD with your old non SP2 Windows disk, burn the iso on another disk, and you have a new SP2 cd.
    Download SP2
    nLite

7. darknight909

darknight909 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 2080
    i would do this dont chance getting your laptop blacklisted

8. Phoenikx

Phoenikx Master Guru

GPU:
    Myself
    Download ServicePack2 separately and merge it with your XP.
    (See Microsoft site for detailed instructions)

Create an ISO and burn it on a media.
    From now on, you are the owner of the brand new WindowsXP with ServicePack 2 included :)

9. Phoenikx

Phoenikx Master Guru

GPU:
    Myself
    Does it mean I need to have yet another copy ?

10. dominant1

dominant1 Guest

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    1 OS per pc thats microsoft's intent for us, unless you buy a multi user license from them....

11. Phoenikx

Phoenikx Master Guru

GPU:
    Myself
    A brand new copy for every computer system ?
    Just like every a brand new car for every driver's licence ?
    :)
    That concept works for Bill's pocket, and only.
    I prefer to stick to my own policy that works much better for my wallet, instead :D

12. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

i spit on microsofts policy and just do it by the system of one copy per household.