3700+ Overclocking - ARGH!

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Dup, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Dup

Dup Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 640MB SC
    I've been messing with OCing my 3700+ all day but I'm not having any luck in any CPU stress tests.

The CPU will run stock 2.2Ghz, 200fsb, 5x HTT just fine and will frime for a few hours. My memory will complete one full run of tests in memtest86 at stock timings.

As for overclocking, I cannot get my CPU to pass even 15 mins of Prime 95 at all. It will however complete 1M of superpi upto 2.6Ghz

At the moment I have got it to 2.6 Ghz with the following settings:

235x11
    1.525v vcore
    1.8v DDR
    1.5v Chipset
    1.2v HT Voltage
    HTT 4x
    2.5-3-3-7 RAM timings.

I have seen the 3700+ San Diego OC much higher and I have seen my ram go much higher on stock tighter timings.

At the moment everything seems fine, apart from the stress testing. I can run games ok and temps go to 40C full load, idles at 32 minimum. I don't see any instability, yet prime fails almost instantly.

It might not be the best thing to rely on, but OCCT etc do the same. Superpi has thrown up some errors with tighter timings and lower volts etc but it will do !m at this present time.

Do I have a bad chip? Its a CABGE stepping. I have also used a ram 166 divider which runs the ram well below its rated spec, which rules out the RAM for me.

Any ideas?

2. MetalFox

MetalFox Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 DCII
    Try running on lower HTT for start, i have no other ideas atm.

maybe upping your chipset voltage one notch ?

oor.. lower your memory timings ?

from my opinion your settings look fine.

Edit:

wait a sec. your HTT is pretty high, i maybe have the same problem, when i go over 245HTT i think that my mobo cant handle it or something ? can someone confirm this ?

Edit: well lotsa edits im getting tired and im babbling something useless again. But i haven't have any luck overclocking my setup.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  3. tsunami81

tsunami81 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Xpress 200M 256mb
    with my 3700+ i can get 250x11 = 2.75ghz vcore on auto, set your HTT on auto. prime stable for 13 hrs

and my other setting is 260x11 = 2.86ghz on 1.500v vcore, everything eles on auto, maybe mine just clock well.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  4. Dup

Dup Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 640MB SC
    Well, have tried everything. cheers for the help but nothing is working :(

I set my ram timings to 3-4-4-8 and prime starts then stops immediately.

I've tried using auto vcore and auto HT Multiplier, no joy :(

I have run the mad mod mike demo, I have run sandra burn in once and played FEAR on full settings for an hour and had no stability issues. I do realise this does not mean my PC IS stable but then can I trust a few pieces of software?

I'm thinking my CPU has a bad memory controller, or just isn't upto it. I might start over and find the max values for everything and piece it all together again.

5. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

What mobo are you using?

My mobo supports easily more than 300 in HTT.

HT can handle it at 5x which means 300x5=1500 but as thge HTT should be no more than 1000 or 1200 i got it down to 4x.

6. Cry

Cry Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080TI SeaHawk
    Hi,

Put your stuff like this:

11x CPU Multi
    4x HTT Multi
    lower ram to 133
    start upping your fsb

Around 2.6 I had to put my cpu voltage @ 1.45

Im also having a Issue with my 3700+ OC, with these settings:

HTT = 4x
    CPU Multi = 11x
    250 FSB
    1.45 cpu volts

Boots into windows soon as I do a Super PI Test it stops.

I think its my ram though..... my MB auto detects the timings as 3-3-3-7 instead of 3-4-4-8, also I put my cpu multi to 10x with fsb 250 and it wouldnt boot into windows and gave a BSOD. Do you think its my ram timings? If I set it to manual what values do I change as there is about 12 settings all together.

Regards
    Cry

Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
  7. Dup

Dup Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 640MB SC
    I am now stable using S&M.

I changed the HTT to 3x and the vcore to 1.55. I highly suspect it's the HTT as I have been unstable at 1.55Vcore and 4x HTT.

If you copy down the manual options for your RAM I will be able yo guide you a little better for your RAM timings.

8. clohre

clohre New Member

GPU:
    PowerColor X1900XT (650/750)
    I also have had troubles overclocking my 3700+. But I think the reason was because I have a E6 stepping CPU and it seems that the E3 ones overclock better.

I got upto 2604MHz a 400MHz increase from the stock 2.2GHZ, running at

248 FSB x 10.5 cpu multiplier, 4x HTT and my ram at 166 Mhz giving me a clean OC. If I tried Overclocking it past 2.6 it would fail prime95 after a min or so. But at 2.6 with a vCore of 1.45 I ran P95 stable for 18 hours with out a hitch.

I just wish I could have gotten to 2.7 that was my goal.