My startup problem thread

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by k4t4n4, Feb 28, 2006.

1. k4t4n4

k4t4n4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    B
    Yesterday, I moved my computer to another room.

When I power it up everything works until windows loading is done. Where normally the login screen would appear, my TFT screen goes standby and says theres no signal. Same thing happens with my CRT screen.

Need some help Gurus! Thanks in advance.

2. Jimgeruk

Jimgeruk Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4850
    Well, it doesn't sound like your monitor, as you've tried it on two different ones. I suppose it could be your video card, although the fact that windows loading works OK means that it's not a straight card failure.

It could be that maybe when you moved the case some connection inside got loosened, or maybe the hard drive got bumped and has an error that stops Windows loading.

You could try starting in safe mode, just in case something weird has happened to one of your drivers. If that works then it's a software thing (or one of the files that needs to be loaded in normal startup mode is occupying a bad sector).

I suppose the first thing to try is using someone else's video card. If no joy, then you could try booting off a different hard disk to see whether the problem lies with your HDD/windows installation.

Hopefully though someone else will be able to suggest something much simpler and easier :)

3. k4t4n4

k4t4n4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    B
    :S, I opened up the case and it was infested with dust. Im too scared to clean the computer parts without the proper equipment...

Also I pushed the GFX card a bit, but no luck...

Also, I cant get in the darned safe mode... I only get to the BIOS, the place where u can select what u want to boot from, and something weird I forgot, but not the safe mode selection screen..:(

4. Paladin06

Paladin06 Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce 7800GS OC
    Get you a can of compressed air and clean everything good. Then unplug the PC for 10 minutes, remove all of your PCI and AGP cards. Now boot the PC with just the Video card installed. If it works reinstall and reboot one card at a time.

Make sure you clean the card slots and connector areas real good.

Good luck.:)

5. k4t4n4

k4t4n4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    B
    hmm all shops are closed today because of carnaval... I cleansed the dust a bit with some anti-static tissues and the case parts far away from the electronic stuff with a dust collector. Didnt work..

Couldn't do it well enough because I have to wait till I can get a can of compressed air and clean the vulnerable parts...

thx for the tips, I will try tomorrow.

6. Jimgeruk

Jimgeruk Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4850
    To select safe mode you need to press F8 after POST has finished. This will give you the Windows boot selection menu, and one of the choices is safe mode.

7. k4t4n4

k4t4n4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    B
    hmm I found out, after I get the Boot choices, I have to press F8 again to get to the safe modes selection screen.. anyways, I brought it to the shop I bought it and we checked it out. We first thought it was the drivers and he was able to install new ones through safe mode. Didnt help, so he used another GFX card and all works again..

Anyhow, it will be there for a few more days because they are gonna check out if its windows or the vidcard.

8. k4t4n4

k4t4n4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    B
    So probably Im gonna have to buy me a new videocard t_T, I was quite happy with this one :p. I dont know how much watt my PSU can take, I can only tell you that my proc is S754.

Also not above 200 euro! :p

9. Jimgeruk

Jimgeruk Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4850
    I'm glad you identified the problem.

I've heard that the Radeon X800 GTO has a very good price-performance ratio...

10. k4t4n4

k4t4n4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    B
    hehe already got a 6600gt now, can't complain