NF3 + 6800Ultra freeze problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by TheOne79, Feb 27, 2006.

1. TheOne79

TheOne79 Member

GPU:
    3080Ti + 2080Ti
    Hi everyone!
    With risk this sounds much familiar problem is an old known one to most of owners of NF3 boards with 6800 VGA. So I experience one. Thought that I can handle it myselfe but there is nothing left to try solving it. So I decided to look here for help even that I have only a small hope to resolve this problem. As I say it appears only in direct3D games. Opengl is just fine. Somewhere I read that must be reconfigured PCi latencies bute I don't know how. Tell me any tool thata configures these times or a little more expert help here could be very useful. I can describe what are current latencies further later if the problem is because of them. I've tried many drivers from such fot motherboard till VGA drivers for GF and Bios updates nothing resolves completely the problem. Nothing in my system is overclocked or has been ever. Keep in mind that further hardware change is currently impossible, cause this rig costs me about 2000$ and maybe up. That's the prices in my country, too expensive but there's no way. tHanks in advance for help!

2. sgtharry

sgtharry Member

GPU:
    evga 280gtx hc
    Hi there, I too had lockups while gaming with my ultra. AFTER 3 POWER SUPPLIES AND MUCH $$$$$$$$ I FINALLY FIXED IT. BUY YOURSELF A turbocool 510 deluxe from pcpowerandcooling.com,That is the ONLY one with 36 amps on the 12 volt rail. (that is why they stopped making the ultra) Way too power hungry.Make sure you have both power plugs in.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  3. sgtharry

sgtharry Member

GPU:
    evga 280gtx hc
    That program is pci latency tool

4. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

the problem is a memory conflict between the 6800 and the nf3 chipset when it access a certain portion of ram

5. PepperRed

PepperRed Guest

GPU:
    MSI 6800NU 128MB
    No more freezing

I also have this same problem. Have been screening threads about this problem for few months now and could not find permanent solution. I can say i have tried almost everything. Best solution was to use Forceware 72.13 drivers. Now freezing is gone, only minor stuttering here and there (FW66.93 are good too). Some say you should try those FW83.90 drivers also (haven't tried myself yet). Good Luck.

6. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Is this freeze issue something that disables your computer such that you have to reset? Or is this that happens every few seconds?

Did you try to disable AGP fastwrites in the BIOS? That one worked for me.

7. dune2

dune2 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Ay, disabling fastwrites and sideband addressing in the bios tok care of things for me.

8. alco

alco Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus gtx780 DirectcuII OC
    for those with no luck with driver versions
    voltage mods under or overclocks
    what the trick did over here was a bios flash on my card (xfx 6800gt)
    after that 1 (2 months later) i got myself a 6800gt golden sample from gainward
    not a single stutter
    so i gues it can b solved by flashing
    but b very carefull flashing your card
    it can end up dead if u do it wrong
    do a search for how to do it on guru3d or google
    or the fellow guru's here will tell you

9. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

its a stutter bug.

10. TheOne79

TheOne79 Member

GPU:
    3080Ti + 2080Ti
    Thanks for fast replies to the probelm! So is that mean I must change the supply again? This fortron has 4! rails x +12V, 15A on every rail. Strange fact is the problem doesn't ocuurs in opengl games. Only in direct3d. So does this means that directx games are more power sensitives? The other bad thing is pcpower&cooling brand is not presented in our country. I know this brand and I wanted such a power supply but the best here on our market is fortron.

11. TheOne79

TheOne79 Member

GPU:
    3080Ti + 2080Ti
    So how can be fixed this problem? If I'm not wrong in a prevouus post in the past I read that with PCi latencies the problem is removed. Is this true ?

12. TheOne79

TheOne79 Member

GPU:
    3080Ti + 2080Ti
    Can this program fix even little this freezing isuue? How to work eith it?

PS: Yes I've connected the two power connectors on 6800 on a separate 12V rails so Videocard gets 30A.

13. TheOne79

TheOne79 Member

GPU:
    3080Ti + 2080Ti
    Yes I've tried several old version drivers and the problem gets bigger, even I get several times a BSOD with one of versions. Also i've tried the new one 83.62, and the optimized one, do I try with beta already?

14. TheOne79

TheOne79 Member

GPU:
    3080Ti + 2080Ti
    Seems like to reset the rig but after a couple of seconds it continues to work as like it never happened anything bad. Sometimes I get this issue as fast as I get into directx game but other times the rig is stable with hours. Thats the strange. I've noticed last night something very interesting: the core on videocard on 2D mode is working at 400MHz, and when it enters into 3D mode it clocks itself to 425MHz, even that function is disabled in driver's control panel. The question is how to permamently disable this automatic overclock function, cause it seems like to me this overclock causes a freezing? And other thing, I've monitored with rivatuner the electric power to the videocard: on 2D elektik was about 8A stable, when on 3D the elektik climbed to 27A and in one freezing issue the power becomes extremely high till 49A. That's very strange, is it normal this videocard to eat so much elektrik power??

15. TheOne79

TheOne79 Member

GPU:
    3080Ti + 2080Ti
    Yes tried with disabling fastwrites but no success. Do I go to disable and side band adressing? Where can I do that?

16. TheOne79

TheOne79 Member

GPU:
    3080Ti + 2080Ti
    Yes yes it's very risky this operation seems to me especially to make a 400$ videocard unuseful. So I thought for a flashing videocard but I had a bad experience with my old Ati 9700Pro, I flashed it in the past once and since then sometimes when the rig trying to posts it informs me that there's no videocard installed by a sound beep. Since then I'm afraid of doing so risky operations even thata everuthing with flash process have been passed perfectly. Finally I could get a crappy ViA board for less than 60$ and become to hope that this problem is going to fade away. Am I right that this occurs only on NF3 boards with 6800 cards?

17. maciekbonn

maciekbonn Member

GPU:
    ALBATRON Nvidia Geforce 6800ULTRA
    not only nforce3

I have nforce2 ultra on epox 8rda6+ and also have this fu**** problem..... i also change moretimes psu....... now i have hiper 580w.
    In moment i dont have bsod but in some games (aoe3 or nfsmw or toca3..) game freeze for a few second.....
    Only in wolfenstein - enemy territory i dont have freezing.........but this is opengl game....

18. f-town

f-town Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460
    make sure you dont have an IRQ conflict...
    turns out my card was sharing an IRQ with the soundcard...had to move it
    that and PCI Latency tool sorted me out
    also i use those Nforce Remix mobo drivers from this site with updated GART drivers...seemed to be quite good

good luck with it :)

19. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

the pci latency doesn't always fix it

IRQ conflicts are a thing of the past

only 1/1000 users ever has one there days due to the advanced irq controller and windows xp

20. f-town

f-town Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460
    if you say so...
    but i dont see any advantage of having your AGP card on the same IRQ as a soundcard or other PCI device
    and the majority of stuttering reduction occurred after moving the soundcard
    so it may be worth a try for those 'one in a thousand' :)