Drifting/Shifting Colors on Monitor

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Thor, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Thor

Thor Master Guru

GPU:
    x850XT PE + V5 5500
    Using a Samsung 955df CRT 19" lately been having color shifts while on desktop but oddly never during a game.

Thought it was my vidcard (x800xt pe) so reseated it then re-install drivers (6.2).

Then tightened all the cable connects.

Problem seemed to go away but starts up after a few hours of gaming - again not in the game but while in desktop; I open a window and the white shifts to reddish colors.

Changed even themes to silver XP from basic blue - color change is like a aqua marine blue - change theme back to basic & a reddish wash.

Not consistent and even once entire color scheme went inverted colors.

I changed drivers, cleaned and tightened connects.

I am guessing its the CRT tube and - it is about 3 years old but wondering if others ever have this problem? Or resolved it for someone?

TIA

BTW if you can think of a good gaming CRT to replace it with - just name it got about 300-400 (USD) to drop on it...

again TIA

:arnie:

2. tweakboy

tweakboy Banned

GPU:
    ASUS AX800XTPE@550/1215Mhz
    If this is happening only in desktop, then its not your monitor.

This is a odd issue, seems driver related, but can be differ.

What resolution is your desktop, then the games you play ?

For test try changing desktop and game rez to 800x600 32bit color, and see how this goes.

Also
    did you try using ati cat remover from www.ati.com, then after that dont reboot, then launch driver cleaner pro, and remove all ati ,,,,, restart compute,,, now install cat 6.2 from www.ati.com and see how things go. Good luck brother

3. Thor

Thor Master Guru

GPU:
    x850XT PE + V5 5500
    OK I never did the swap/re-install like that (as you mentioned) and did not use ATi remover first.

I did the uninstall from control panel then reboot, then Driver Cleaner, then install.

So I will ge the Cat remover from ATi and give it a go after the job tonight....

Thanks

4. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Tried degausing your monitor? (Don't know if i spelled it right. You know, i mean when the CRT gets too magnetised) Perhaps you didn't notice it in games because its already changing colors :p.

5. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
    My 8 year old CRT monitor for my work PC shows red color shifting. A few hits in the side fixes it for like 30 minutes. I think you should just replace the CRT.

6. Thor

Thor Master Guru

GPU:
    x850XT PE + V5 5500
    Update to situation,

I have updated drivers to WHQL 6.2 from site. The problem returned yesterday however on first boot then quickly faded away (no more color red washing). To experiment I changed to windows classic view from XP theme immediate clearing of trouble.

Degauss not much different btw but a valid suggestion since I have noticed a high level of static electricity - also think my speakers to close to monitor - only about 200mm (~8 inches) distant? Or even my router which almost touchs the monitor?

Still leaning towards a bad monitor myself but calibration/test programs show everything ok...

Most confusing for me...

7. Thor

Thor Master Guru

GPU:
    x850XT PE + V5 5500
    Update - dropped frequency down from 75 to 60 and installed Omega Driver - oddly all is fine so far - no more drift or shift of color...