X800 GTO, do I expect too much?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by PhatKat, Feb 25, 2006.

1. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O
    Hey, I just upgraded, details at left(<--), and I think I may be expecting too much from my vid card. I had an ATI 9550, and was able to run BF2 at medium settings, with a couple set to high(geometry and textures), with a hefty overclock. Now, Iam running BF2 at the same levels, and my new card is 'supposed' to be worlds better, but it gets sketchy any higher. WTH?? It is overclocked, to 552/540(1080), so whats going on??

I'm using 6.1 drivers, minus Catalyst Control Center, and ATITool to clock. I used ATITool to clock the 9550 also. I don't get it.:frown:

*EDIT* I took my soundcard out, a Turtle Beach Riviera, in favor of the onboard 8ch., but would it load the CPU that much?

2. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Your problem is only 1gb of RAM. BF2 requires at least 1.5gb to run smoothly at high detail settings because of the amount of large textures.

3. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O
    Okay, cool. So, if I buy another 512, and slap it in there, I should be better? Will my mobo like that, not being dual channel? Does dual channel make that much difference?:nerd:

4. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    not many games take advantage of dual channel ram, x3 reunion is one game where dual channel makes a noticable difference. 1.5gb single channel > 1gb dual channel in games such as bf2 which pause when disk caching for textures.

5. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O
    Ahhh, I see. I checked some past tests on pcpitstop.com, for my old system, and it had 1GB of "virtual ram", or "windows ram", does that change things? This current system showed no "windows ram", should I change that, and if so, how?:)

6. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    To set your virtual ram go to the advanced tab in the system properties control panel, click the settings button under performance, and then go to the advanced tab there.

You should always have some kind of pagefile. It's better to use a fixed sized, ie min and max are the same, otherwise windows will keep adjusting the pagefile constantly.

With my 1.5gb ram I use 2000mb fixed pagefile on it's own 2.5 gig partition, but you need to experiment with what works best for the programs you use.

Adobe programs sometimes don't like it when you set your own pagefile size instead of letting windows manage it.

7. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O
    Okay, just did that. It showed a 1536MB page file, I changed it 2500, min and max. Will this provide any difference?

Thank you for the help, by the way. I appreciate it.

8. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    np, though 1536 is probably sufficient. It's difficult to tell if there's any difference or not unless it was at totally the wrong setting to start with, I suppose you just have to use your own judgement there!

Other tweaks that seem to do something: I've also set my memory usage to system cache instead of programs, everything seems to run a bit more sprightly (my word of the day lol). Also the partition with my pagefile on has a large cluster size for faster access, I'd be interested to see what difference a sata drive would make...

9. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O
    Right on, I'll dick around with things, and see what happens. I'm also updating drivers right now, maybe that's an issue. Who knows.:nerd:

Thanks again!

10. 5had0w

5had0w Active Member

GPU:
    HIS X800GTO IceQ II iTurbo (R480)
    OMG!!! 1.5 gb at least to run smoothly!! WHOA!!!