High quality or quality?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Weesni, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Weesni

Weesni Master Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3080 M10G
    What you use?
    High quality or quality settings in the driver and how much fsp difference is there? What is a good setting for my 6600gt and how i can boost framerate in old opengl games like mohaa spearhead (nHancer settings)?

Sry for my english...

2. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

never seen a difference...

3. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

I always use High Quality. I can tell the difference, however if you are looking to squeeze the most performance out of your card try the lower settings. If you cant tell the difference in image quality stick with them. Try High Performance and then try Quality or High Quality and you should be able to see the difference quite easily.

4. Weesni

Weesni Master Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3080 M10G
    Ok from high performance to high quality you see the difference but i see none from hqual to qual settings.
    Whats about my second question. How to speed up mohaa. I have 60 to 300 fps
    in this game but what i want is constantly 200 or something for smooth online play... I love this rifle only stuff. :mad3: Extra buyed a copperhead mouse for that :)

5. Sfolivier

Sfolivier Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire X1950XT 256mb (672/972)
    200 FPS?

Am I missing something? Does it really matter at this point???

I thought that as long as you were hitting 30 FPS you were looking at something in the ball park of a movie... If your eye can't see that many frames and blurrs everything, what's the point of getting highet?

6. icywind32

icywind32 Master Guru

GPU:
    ati 6970 2gb
    lol wats the point of 200 when ur eyes cant c past 90 frames anyway

7. conneh

conneh Member

GPU:
    EVGA GT 240
    the point is smoother gameplay... sure, you can't tell 25 from 30 fps, but you should easily be able to tell the difference between, say, 30 and 60 (its even easier to "see" when you look around with your mouse or do a series of v.fast moves - were talking abut fps' here). and if you can't, well, then i'm affraid there's something wrong with your senses. and if you feel the need to reply to this, it has been debated over and over for many years, so dont even start :<

8. Weesni

Weesni Master Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3080 M10G
    Youre right conneh. You see and feel the difference between 30 and 60 or 200 fps. Play an old game for an half hour what are at 100 fps and then play gta vice city or something what is capped at 30 fps...
    The difference in movies is that there are fast movements blurry as example and you have constant 30 fps. Not like 3 frames in the first half of a second and 27 frames in the second half like its in a game. Also there are many similar frames shown and they also count as 1 frame in the second....
    Ok but back to my question. How to boost this old game with driver settings and or rivatuner options?

9. FNK

FNK Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTR 480 XXX
    For me I DON'T WANT frames rates under 50FPS, and 70+ is the best. Uber smooth

10. Cycloid

Cycloid Master Guru

GPU:
    2x256MB Geforce 7800GTs in SLi
    Although one cannot pick the more "flickering" of say 60 fps to 200, one can feel the slight delay when playing the game. I hate it when this happens. In timing intensive games like Quake for example, this normally seperates the winners from the losers! :)

Not nice!

11. km52

km52 Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I'm using Quality with all optimizations disabled. Virtually identical IQ but way faster than HQ.

12. Sfolivier

Sfolivier Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire X1950XT 256mb (672/972)
    "Not like 3 frames in the first half of a second and 27 frames in the second half like its in a game"

Then the problem is not that you have 30FPS but that you have 3FPS at some point. I was talking about not going below 30FPS ever, not on the average.

I won't start a debate again... Not because Conneh is telling me not too. But because I'm not interested in trolling and discussions that would convince nobody on either side... Online, everybody is a genius and knows better LOL I stopped arguing on forums a long time ago.

And honnestlty, I'm willing to buy the fact that higher FPS is better, even above what your eye can see. For example it impacts jumping high in Quake 3.

Oh Conneh, nothing's wrong with my eyes, cats see 90 FPS, you, probably not above 45FPS.

13. Weesni

Weesni Master Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3080 M10G
    Ok ok thank you all for your posts, but....
    HOW make this f****** Mohaa runs ever on 150 or somewhat fps???
    This old game can not beat my computer. Any special opengl32.dll for the game or a fast miles eax driver or driver setting or.... whatever plz help
    My 6600gt running @ 555/1200 with 43 degrees because i have a good copper cooler and my windows is really clean without uneeded stuff, services and so on. It cant be that hard to get constantly 150 fps in this game....

14. Black Knight

Black Knight Member

GPU:
    XFX 7800GTX 256MB @ 480/1320
    There is a very noticable difference if you have AF at 16x and run the VST on CSS. In the beginning just watch the water, it will look like it flips to different LODs really bad. Or run cs_office and spawn as CT. Move forward and backwards and you can see the ground have different LODs at certains distances, really bad looking. It has to do with one of the 3 optimizations at the lower end of the advanced settings. For some other games not so noticable, like BF2.

15. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I use High qualty, I can see the diffents from quality and high quality.

16. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Weesni,

How about before getting angry you tell us what settings you use in the drivers?

No changing of opengl files is gonna make a difference.

You should be able to put everything max in game 2/4xAA, 8xAF, 1280x1024or 960, put on vsync and triple buffering and you should be set.

17. Weesni

Weesni Master Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3080 M10G
    Mhhh.... No matter what setting i take in this game the fps are the same. Looking straight to a wall i have 300 fps, look in the distance 130 and if is there a fight it go down to 30 or even less. All this with no antialiasing no antistropic filtering no vsync. Settings in the driver profile on quality and no optimisations.
    I thought my sys can take two of those old games with high fps in the same time. Other games runs smooth.(POP T2T, CS:S, GTA SA, Doom 3... ok Far Cry not :rolleyes: )
    My thinking about the opengl32.dll was only because you must copy a special older one in the game directory to get on servers with the anticheat dmw3 client. Thats why i thought you can get somewhere a speed tuned dll or something.

18. Snowski

Snowski Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 8800GT 660/1650/1900
    Joint Ops Escalation: 1280x1024, 4xAA, 8xAF, all in game settings maxed, forceware AA transparancy set to multisample and gamma correction on

High Performance

[​IMG]

Performance

[​IMG]

Quality

[​IMG]

High Quality

[​IMG]

I use Quality Setting with Aniso optimizations OFF and Trilineair ON (major FPS dropper without quality enhancement), Negative LOD to clamp.

Hope that helped

19. Snowski

Snowski Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 8800GT 660/1650/1900
    Anisotropic Sample Optimization ON

[​IMG]

Anisotropic Sample Optimization OFF

[​IMG]

Seems to cause that known moire effect (shimmering)

20. thevoid

thevoid Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek GeForce 6600GT + FX 5700
    If you have a card with only 128 megs of video ram, like my 6600GT AGP, using
    Quality instead of HighQuality helps a lot, especially with games using a lot of
    textures, like Call of Duty 2, Doom3, Quake4 or F.E.A.R. This is probably because
    on "HighQuality" the intellisample / framebuffer / texture -compression
    optimizations are minimized. Anyway this is what I have observed. If you have
    a 7-Series card, then you should always keep it on "High Quality" in the
    drivers because of the shimmering / moire patterns problem of all the 7-Series
    cards. Effectively a 6-Series card has as much shimmering on "Quality" as a
    7-Series card on "High Quality". Also, as 7-Series cards come with 256 MB or
    more on-board video ram, it shouldn`t be a problem. I use "Quality" with the
    options: negative LOD: CLAMP, Triple Buffering Enabled, Trilinear Optimizations
    ON, Anio. Sample Optimization ON, and Aniso. Mip Filter Optimizations OFF.