ForceWare 83.90 driver discussion & download

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by sjh220, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

the game looks like crap... shadows dont make a game,

neither does good game play.. if its not a full package, its nothing new and not worth my time.

i played BF 1942.. this seems no different other then some stupid shadows.

one more reason why Dice don't get my money... all they've done is cloned the originals...

the grass is no better, the colour maps are the exact same.....

2. Black Knight

Black Knight Member

GPU:
    XFX 7800GTX 256MB @ 480/1320
    I don't recall grass in BF1942, I don't see any recycled content, I see gameplay with new additions, squads, commander and so on. I see HL2 WITH old HL textures and sounds (even low res or quality like HL1) same gameplay (except a few vehicle moments), worse AI, a squad mode that really dosn't help since AI sucks comapred to HL1 AI. HL2 was too much hype, GREAT GAME? Yes. BEST EVER, i dont think so...

3. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

well for one, the graphicd themselves have not been improved.

im talking bout the look of the graphics, i can't explain it, but i hate it, we are using hardware which is capable of so much more and yet its still sucky graphics...

i don't hate bf2... i just don't see the point of playing a ripoff of bf1942 which only has a few extra video features, yet sucks for game modders and the creator has been paid off to not include support for the TI series...

the meant to be played mark means nvidia has given them cash to make you upgrade.

4. Black Knight

Black Knight Member

GPU:
    Has nothing to do with Nvidia, has to do with Pixel Shader 1.4 hardware support, anyting before the FX series doesn't support it, same goes for the Ati series 8500 series, anything before and no go because anytihng older doesn't support 1.4.

Don't know what you mean by the GFX suckng but whatever, lol.

5. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

Dude, this game doesn't do anything that needs 1.4 support

the game was purposely coded to push TI users to getting something new.

its all over the EA forums... alot of nv users have even stated not getting another nVidia card becoz of it

6. Black Knight

Black Knight Member

GPU:
    Real time specualr lighitng anyone? 1.4!!!!!!!! and thats just one thing. And its something HL2 LACKS, it has pre-rendered "specualr" cubemaps.

7. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    sorry... but i gotta side with Wolverine on this tiny little debate. i played BF2, and couldn't stand it at all. didn't really look that great. friend of mine also says that since HL2 came out.... not really any game yet has compared to it in visual quality.

and i didn't find HL2 boring at all. still don't. i play HL2DM every day. i still play through single player every once in a while. soon Aftermath will be out, and that'll probably have HDR throughout the whole thing, which will make it an even better looking game, and probably still won't have competition up until Unreal Engine 3 is put to use.... if it'll even have competition then, i don't know.

As for the drivers...... has anyone else used these with a 7800GT.... or any 7 series card, and possibly 6 series (dunno, but it's happening with me on my 7800GT). anyone play Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones with these? for some reason or another everything is REALLY glowy..... kinda like the prince has a huge halogen bulb on his arm for the dark prince's infection marking. and can't even really SEE the Vazier (sp?) due to the intense glow i'm getting.

8. dagabs

dagabs Member

GPU:
    Asus 6800GT 128Mb 420/880
    What is this thread about???

83.90 drivers OR HL2 vs. BF2???

9. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

thats a wierd bug Elemental? can it be isolated to any settings in the nvcp?

10. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

Real time specular lighting ca'nt be done in 1.4, its turned off when run in that mode

the only difference between 1.1 and 1.4 is the amount of passes it takes to render a texture

1.1 does it in 2 passes, which is why it is so powerful at multitexturing, where as the 8500 does it in a single pass which is why it was good at single texturing. either way.. the 8500 sux and the TI would've thrashed it... but Dice were bribed by nvidia to not include support for that card as they decided they should've made it weaker....

11. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    don't think there really is a setting to change that. if it were gamma.... EVERYTHING would be bright.... not just the stuff that's usually slightly brighter than other stuff. if you want, i can take a screenshot and post it....

12. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

hmm is there a patch for the game?

13. Black Knight

Black Knight Member

GPU:
    There are alot of settings in BF2 that the optimizations changed that we can't from options, like specular. And yes, you can do specualr in 1.4, heck, look at the real time in BF2.

Oh and specular can be done back on geforce 3, its about PS not payoffs, this is like the valve-ati conspiracy...

Damn it, we need to stic to the drivers.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2006
  14. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

no its not a conspiracy, EA havent denied this fact either

15. Dethred

Dethred Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD/ATI HD4870x2
    All my benchmarks improved by about 100 points with this driver.

FEAR stress test was:

Min FPS: 25
    Max:96
    55% above 40fps
    45% below

After the drivers:
    Min: 27
    Max: 103
    57% above 40fps
    43% below 40fps

Not a huge difference, but a difference none-the-less.

16. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

thats nice.. bring those 52,000 people

and triple that will post and tel you it sucks, is a waste of money, and HL-2 is better

17. Saiyan

Saiyan Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 12GB
    Will you guys just finally accept that different people have different tastes? Geez!

And please don't pollute a driver topic with such lengthy O.T. discussion, go to the game section!

18. Black Knight

Black Knight Member

GPU:
    Oh yea, forgot FEAR had a test, LOL. Gotta try that.

Anyone else get that shadow glitch I talked about? I haven't seen it again so guess is was a fluke, maybe me alt-tabbing with fraps or something. I am just shocked at the performance in these drivers though, wow.

And the figure of 52,000 probably has to due with the record high for EA for simultaneous after the 1.2 patch, it was an update at their site.

"Battlefield 2 hit somewhat of a milestone last night with over 52,000 simultaneous players. This is the highest number of players we’ve seen at one time for Battlefield 2 and almost 4 times more than the peak number of Battlefield 1942."

And where is this proof that EA accepted money from Nvidia to purposely NOT support 4 series or before?

My bad, gotta stop it, both games are good, just I ahte eople who think 1 game dominates all and others suck and shouldn't be purchased. No, all that means is that YOU don't have to purchase it.

19. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    don't think there's a patch

20. The Fallen

The Fallen Maha Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB
    Everyone has a right to express their own opinion about a game. There is no downright "this game is better than that game " especially when HL2 and BF2 play nothing alike in anyway other than the fact that they are both FPS games. I own both of those games and I can say they are both fantastic , each with strengths and weakenesses