Ramsinks

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by EnzoF1, Feb 17, 2006.

1. EnzoF1

EnzoF1 Master Guru

GPU:
    X1800XT 512mb (Aquaxtreme MP-1)
    Hello. Well ive decided to go for the zalman vf700cu led for my card. And i was wondering if any of you have had experiance with those ramsinks that come stock? Ive heard that they are really cheap and are aluminum. So should i buy some better copper ramsinks for my card? Or are those that come with the zalman good enough?

2. CounterQuake

CounterQuake Active Member

GPU:
    eVga 6800
    Are you going to be overclocking to the max?

3. EnzoF1

EnzoF1 Master Guru

GPU:
    X1800XT 512mb (Aquaxtreme MP-1)
    Eventually yes.

4. Billabong

Billabong Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 9800GTX
    Copper is well known for better heat conductivity so if you intend to oc to the max I would say get those, for every day use I find the aluminium ones work fine, the thermal adhesive pads on the Zalman models can be a little finicky when it comes to adhering but perseverance wins the day.

5. CounterQuake

CounterQuake Active Member

GPU:
    eVga 6800
    Get copper if you are going to OC a lot.

6. phrozin

phrozin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980
    get either swiftech or ocz mem sinks that what i use and are pretty good, vantec make copper ones as well but there not quite as good as the other's

7. netnexus

netnexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870x2
    I hear the swiftech ones work the best.

8. DD2000GT

DD2000GT Member

GPU:
    ATI X850 PRO w/ 16 pipes 540/1180
    Well, I just put these cheesy looking heatsinks on my X850 PRO that I have overclocked. A few did not want to stick, but I finally got them on I hope. After playing Quake 4 online for a few hours, I felt the heatsinks and they were indeed warm - so I know they at least work. I would not worry too much about using the copper over the aluminum, just use the ones you have - your Zalman fan will move air over them and cool them off sufficiently IMO. This cooler allowed me to overclock my X850 PRO to 540/590 with all 16 pipelines unlocked through bios - not too shabby I guess.

Dan

9. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

I'd definately recommend slapping some heatsinks on the RAM. What you use, I'm not sure that actually matters too much. I've got my card all modded up with a sliced up Slot something or another heatsink installed on the RAM, and that works pretty well.

I always epoxy my heatsinks on since I has better thermal conductivity. Also, I'm relatively honest, and I don't RMA hardware that I've overclocked, so that instantly means that if my card breaks, I get a new one.

Just some food for thought. After using thermal epoxy, I'd not go back to thermal tape, unless I wanted to be able to remove the mod for some reason.

10. Altazimuth

Altazimuth Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X 5870
    I doubt those ramsinks make much difference to be honest. To be really effective, they should make metal-to-metal contact (like on the die). IMO.

11. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    XFX7600GTXXX Zalman Vf900
    Get some thermal glue and make your own by sticking 5 1pence pieces in a staggered formation for each heatsink, enjoy. then stick em on whatever you need keep cool, they look great when finished.

12. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

Um, I've seen this done before on some website, afrotechmods, I think.

I believe that it makes the card pretty heavy, and it looks pretty....bad?

Just get get a spare heatsink, cut it up, and slap it on the card. It will work just fine.

13. Psycho_Sam

Psycho_Sam Member

GPU:
    ATi Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
    I have an Arctic Cooler Rev. 3 on my 9800Pro, but I need some RAM cooling. It doesn't look like I can fit any heatsinks between the cooler and the card (only about 1/4" gap) anyone got any suggestions? Is there such a thing as a "slimline" heatsink?